Chapter 3 (Autumn 1228): Singing the Song

Calliope nods. "Very well - I will put in a quest to a Eleusis. That's where Demeter was reconciled with Persephone, so it seems appropriate. Only greeks can be initiated into the mysteries, though, so we'll have to work out what you're going to do to get her attention once you're there."

Viola frowns, "You're the expert. Any ideas? And wouldn't you be a better maga to do this?"

Scott

Calliope shakes her head. "You're the hero of this story, not me - I'm not even in it."

Viola laughs. "But the hero doesn't usually fight or travel alone."

[Much as I would enjoy this buddy movie, how can we move it along quickly so that we can get to Chapter 3 proper?]

Scott

[Propose a new text of the story, similar to what I wrote in the first post of the thread, but with the changes you want made. Depending on quite what the changes are, I may then either agree the revised story or push back on some of them - but fundementally at this point you need to provide me with an alternative plotline.]

Let's try this:

I think that Viola's Free Expression might also be of help here, at least in devising a creative plot (even if the execution of that plot in language isn't her specialty).

Scott

Looks good, I think. Slightly short on detail in the beseeching Demeter section, but Viola can make that up as she goes along if necessary.

She probably will need to make sure the tale is spread around Eleusis as well, to get "Demeter" on board.

So I guess Viola is dragging Calliope and Ipek to Eleusis ASAP. Unless Calliope has an AC to the place, we're going to have to do this the hard way, by ship. At least it's not on the Adriatic side.

Scott

What does "as soon as possible" mean in this context?

There's an issue in that Calliope hadn't necessarily planned on spending a season travelling round greece to help Viola deal with her lab problem (on top of the season she's already spent composing the song). Is Viola planning to do anything to sweeten the pill?

What perchance might Calliope find sweet? I don't have much insight into her personality, aside from intimations that she's torn between her human and fae sides, and has a deep reverence for Greek mythic culture.

Scott

The main thing she's been dropping hints she's interested in is more of the lore of the Bright Ones.

Apparently Viola has initiation scripts for both Animae Magic and Potent Spontaneous Magic. I don't know where she got them, but she's happy to share with Calliope assuming Calliope is ready. It might be wiser, though, to get the help of Salignus (I'm too tired right now to check the numbers--I'll do it tomorrow).

Scott

Calliope already has Potent Spontaneous Magic, but not Animae Magic. That said, that would be a lot of initiations for someone who's still quite a young maga (and I don't think Viola has the numbers - but it's also not clear to me how she initiated Calliope into PSM, so possible I'm missing a bonus somewhere). Whilst she certainly wouldn't object to Animae magic, at this point she's thinking more of increasing her lore.

I thought I'd seen a note somewhere about initiating her into PSM....

I assume you're talking about Merinita Lore? What does her score look like right now? In any case, she's welcome to study from Viola's Summa on the subject (and she'll get slightly more out of that than she would from teaching by Viola).

Scott

She's got 2(5) now, so can get a 10xp benefit from the summa before she reaches the level 3 cap.

Viola herself only has a score of 3 in the ability, so aside from an introduction to Salignus, there's not much more Viola can do for Calliope.

Scott

Are we waiting on something (or someone, like me) here?

Scott

I think the main thing that needs to happen is for me to work out some plot ideas for Eleusis...but I think I now have one.

To Athens, then? (As it's the nearest major city.)

Sure. I hear they have some lovely ruins.

Scott

After the tribunal (assuming that's at the start of autumn)? Who are you taking with you, and are you travelling by ship or some other method?

What vis are you bringing?