Chapter 3: Epiphany

((At this point, Aedituus is trying to get more information. He will examine each patient in turn, starting with the gravely ill, first using his knowledge of medicine (+2 Int +2 Medicine(physician), then using his second sight (+1 Per +2 Second sight), and finally sense holiness/unholiness (+1 Per +2 Sense Unholiness). This will probably take all night.

Patient 1 rolls: 7 +4 = 11; 4 +3 = 7; 4 +3 = 7
Patient 2 rolls: 5 +4 = 9; 5 +3 = 8; 6 +3 = 9
Patient 3 rolls: 6 +4 = 10; 1 +3 = 4 (treating these as simple rolls); 8 +3 = 11;
Patient 4 rolls: 6 +4 = 10; 10 +3 = 13; 6 +3 = 9
Patient 5 rolls: 2 +4 = 6; 3 +3 = 6; 6 +3 = 9
Patient 6 rolls: 9 +4 = 13; 1 +3 = 4; 3 + 3 = 6

If you prefer that these be stress dice ...
Patient 3, Second Sight roll= 12 + 3 = 15
Patient 4, Second Sight, possible botch roll: (no botch) 0 +3 = 3
Patient 6, Second Sight roll: 12 +3 = 15

"Pray, my friend, that our humble talents may prove worthy enough to help our brothers weather this storm." Aedituus bows to Clement.

After Tristam and Aedituus finish their rounds, and before he begins his own investigations, Aedituus tells the infirmarer, "Your efforts here are truly inspired, Brother. I pray that God will bless your efforts. If you take your rest now, I will watch over the patients, and pray that Saint Luke and the Archangel Raphael intercede for us."

((Aedituus will examine the patients as described in the previous post.))

Note that there are 8 patients in total: 2 that are "gravely sick and not fully conscious" and 6 more showing a variety of symptoms at an early age.

I will run through each of them, detailing the information that Brother Tristam gave you, and what Aedituus can observe for himself. I will not be using seperate rolls for each one, but rather a single roll in each category. Since this is a mystery-solving story, I think it might be better if I kept the rolls secret, unless you actually prefer otherwise.

The first two patients are Lay Brother Fabian (age 42, works in the kitchen) and Lay Brother Jacob (age 31, work in the fields but also sings). They fell sick a bit less than two weeks ago, around the same time as the 4 deceased. Delirious and frequent coughing of thick flegm with some blood mixed in. High fever. Skin is discolored by dark red dry spots, the size of a coin. These seem to be mostly on the arms mostly with a few on the neck for Fabian, while for Jacob the dry spots appear mostly on his right leg. Tristam doubts they will survive for more than a day.

The six newer patients are Brother Mathias (age 56, retired village priest, does some carpentry), Lay Brother Adolf (age 34, a former fisherman), Lay Brother Anshelm (age 21, still studying to become a priest, works at the laundry), Brother Philipp (age 25, just ordained), Brother Peter (age 35, a visiting pilgrim) and Lay Brother Christoph (age 22, works in the scriptorium). Their first symptom appeared roughly 4-5 days ago in the form of coughs and rashness of skin. The cough has gradually become worse and a fever is beginning as well. The skin is being treated with an herbal salve, while the cough is treated with various concoctions to strenghten the heart, clear the lungs and reduce fever.

(I am of the opinion that both Second Sight and Sense Holiness/Unholiness are passive abilities, so Aedituus does not need to specify he is trying to use them. If you prefer to treat them otherwise, just let me know. Furthermore, I believe SS is of magical origin, while SH/U is of divine origin? If I'm wrong, let me know.)

Eximining the patients, Aedituus' supernatural senses only gives him the slightest sense of something wrong with the patients' skin, centered on the spots. Strangely enough, that feeling seems stronger with the patients that are less ill, and weaker with the two that are dying.

After examining all the patients, Aedituus, curious about the wrongness he sensed around the rash on the newer patients, returns to Brother Cristoph's cell. After checking to make sure Cristoph is deeply asleep, Aedituus spends half an hour preparing and casting an Intellego Corpus spell to determine the specific nature of the spots. Worried that the young brother will wake up, and feeling less than confident about casting spells on the monk, Aedituus is unable to summon the power to make the spell succeed. He spends a few minutes kneeling at Cristoph's bedside, praying for the young man, praying for strength for himself, and feeling a little pinched as Brother Tristam looks.

A break in the clouds allows pale moonlight into the room through the narrow window, illuminating the lay brother's face. To whom much is given, much will be expected. Having caught is breath, Aedituus stands up and casts the spell again, this time without the ceremony, but with similar effect. Pater in Caelis, da mihi fortitudinem. Defeated for the time, he walks to a guest cell to get some sleep.

((Spontaneous InCo, level 10 (Base 5, +1 touch). Casting total = 7(In) + 5(Co) + 1(St) + 4(Ceremonial Casting) + 1(exaggerated gestures) + 2(roll) - ?(Aura) /2 < 10; the spell fails unless the aura in Cristoph's cell is 0. The roll for the second casting was a 3.))

((Secret rolls are okay with me. Second Sight is magical, Sense Holiness/Unholiness is divine.))

Aedituus' voice sounds booming to him in the closed confines of the the sick monk's cell. Combined with the quiet nature of the monastery, it makes him much more conscious of how difficult it will be for his spellcasting to pass unnoticed.[sup]1[/sup]

As he walks into the guest cell, it occurs to Aedituus that a less powerful spell might have been able to reveal something about Brother Cristoph's health. It might not have been able to identify the sickness aflicting him, but just confirming the location of the sickness within the body could prove useful.[sup]2[/sup]

Still, it has been a very long and exhausting day, so the call to sleep is strong. Perhaps the morrow will bring more strength to his casting.

The night passes, with the rising morning cold and misty. It is Saturday, December 22nd. As Aedituus rises for Matins, he ponders what this new day means for those lying sick.[sup]3[/sup]

[sup]1[/sup]((Using a normal voice in spellcasting, at night, in a quiet monastery, risks drawing attention. You have been warned. :wink: ))

[sup]2[/sup]((Essentially, you were trying for a level 10 InCo spell, the equivalent of Revealed Flaws of the Mortal Flesh, which provides more information of a more specific nature than Physician's Eye. Still, Physician's Eye may reveal something useful. In general, you can consider the aura within the monastery walls to be 4, with the chapel rising to 6. Outside of the monastery walls but still within sight of them is only 2.))

[sup]3[/sup]((How do you wish to proceed with the investigation and/or treatment of the sick?))

((Yup. You would think his impulsivity would have been tempered by age. Perhaps after the first rash and unsuccessful attempts, he will be more patient.))

((I was afraid the aura would be that high ... Sponting a level 5 CrCo spell will require a casting total before the aura penalty of 22, difficult but not impossible, especially if he wishes to cast quietly. Higher levels and spells using different arts, even formulaic spells, will be nearly impossible, given the penalty within the walls.))

((Aedituus will probably try to convince Tristam to divide up the work, so that they each care for one of the seriously ill, and take turns with the other four. He will try to spont a version of The Physician's Eye with a casting total of roll + 1 (13 (InCo + Stm) + 4 (Ceremonial Casting) + 1 (exaggerated gestures) - 5 (quiet voice) - 12 (aura penalty)), or if he can manage to time the spells to when the other monks are singing the hours and he can use a firm voice, the total would be roll + 6. If he can get more information about the illness, I'll think about next steps. I would prefer to role-play a scene rather than keep rolling dice.))

((Sorry for the long delay in this thread. I was under the impression that I was waiting for you, when in fact you had posted. My bad. :blush: ))

After Matins, Tristam seeks you out to get updated on the conditions of the patients. After hearing your summary of the night, and your proposal for dividing up patients, the young infirmarer takes some time to think about it before Answering. "That seems a particularly..." he hesitates, perhaps seeking the right word "inefficient way of working, brother."

His pinched face is disapproving, "For it will make coordination of attempted treatments more difficult. What avenues of treatment would you try, that I haven't? How would you even know what treatments I have tried, if we work seperatedly?" He shakes his head, "No, no, it would be much better if we were to split shifts instead, with some overlap during which we can discuss treatments." His thin shoulders slump a bit, "Not that I have much hope, for I have tried much to no avail."