Chapter 3: Location, location location

"Interesting.
Let's continue on to the cave you mentioned earlier. After that we would be most grateful if you could introduce us to Master Dombauer."

The children lead you deeper into the ruins. After a while they show you a hole in the rubble that gently descends into blackness (almost horizontal). The entrance to the tunnellike structure is only a square pace across, but when the first one climbs in, it takes less than half a diameter before you can here is voice, distorted by strange ehoes from inside: calling "I am in!".

If the children can be believed, the tunnel leads into a room with "skellingtons". They tell you that you can touch them in the dark, but that once they had a light, and there truly and really were skellingtons, three of them, lying along the wall. After some hesitation, they also tell you that you can only become a member of their gang if you touch one of the skellingtons.

Hildegard asks (in Latin, so the kids can't understand her): "Do you think it is safe to go in?"

ooc: The only person who can enter the hole easily is Hildegard, because she is small enough. Size 0 is the absolute maximum for humans and even that involves some wriggling and crawling. If you send Hildegard in, give me instructions on how to have her deal with dangers, magic use and so on. You can always go yourselves, of course.

In Latin:

"I doubt that there would be much danger down there. After all the children have been there several times.
Still, I think we should all come back here later without the children and investigate the place. We could then use some magic without being noticed, and we would not be endangering anyone but us.
Perhaps Honorus can widen the gap using his magic, or we could all go down one by one.

I suggest we go meet Master Dombauer now, before it gets too late"

The children have by now become accustomed to you and lead you back into the city. They take you straight to the center which is a huge construction site. Part of an obviously Roman building used as a chuch is being torn down. At the other end of the church, carriers sort building blocks. Most of the workmen are dressed in simple clothes, so it's hard to miss the man in functional clothes who wears a rich fur-embroidered cap - he is quite obviously in charge of the operation.

Seing that the children are in strange company, he gives the party a disapproving stare and comes walking over. The children wave their hands and are happy to see him. He greets the children in a surprosingly friendly manner and listens to their day's tale of adventures. When they tell him that they are paid guides, he asks if they have been compensated for their invaluable help.
He waits for the transaction to be over, adds a small coins and sends them off to buy something at Master Mettwarer's.Only then does he turn to the characters (in Latin): "You've been to the bathhouse with those boys. What did you do that for? On the other hand, you seem to be interested in Roman ruins. Well, you've come to the right place. The archbishop, blessed be his name, does not appreciate Rome's architectural heritage in these benighted lands. It's a shame he wants to have the imperial buildings modernized in the French style - but nobody seems to think them worth keeping the old way. Well, I do, but I must make a living, right? So we're building the new dome here. At least we've got enough building blocks here. But I'm rambling. What is it you want from me?"

"The children spoke highly of you and your knowledge of the roman ruins outside the town.
We are interested in the history of this city, so we would be happy if you could spare some time and enlighten us the purpose of the old Romans buildings.
We have seen an amphitheater, an old Roman temple, and a burial place - catacombs perhaps?
What can you tell us about the previous inhabitants of this city?
Do you know why it was abandoned and left in such a state of disrepair? It seemed to be such a vibrant city once"

Master Dombauer tries to hide his irritation at the weird party that he's talking to (they are obviously some kind of crooks he just hasn't understood their trick yet). But his curiosity gets the better of him:

He steps out of pickpocketing range, and asks why they are interested in Roman buildings. "What are you? Historians? Philosophers? Magi? Few people are interested in the Roman times, and fewer know the terms you used. Rome is not exactly a topic for small-talk in the streets. If you seek my expertise, we could arrange a dinner meeting. Nothing stimulates my memory better than food and wine."

"You could say we are 'Wise Men', in pursuit of knowledge.
It is a shame that the history of this city wins such slight notice from its inhabitants"

Arturous points to the men carrying the building fragments from the old city for use in the construction of the new church

"Greatness lost forever" he says as he shakes his head disapprovingly
"At any rate, dinner time is approaching, and you are welcome to join our company"

Master Dombauer turns out to have a happy appetite. Once he starts talking, he is hard to stop. His story starts with Ninus in Assyria and is amazingly detailed.
It is after midnight when he finishes with the statement: "But look at those barbarians. They even take the Roman gods for saints. I hope you realized that there is no statue of Saint Michael in a Roman temple. You know who it is, don't you?"

ooc: I assume you get all the information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier can give you (up to 1220). Please note that this is just a source and mythic Europe differs in minor aspects from real Europe. So most of it will be correct, but there may be minor inconsistencies.

Arturous dines lightly, as usual, and does not touch his wine. He lets Dombauer speak for the most part, probing him with additional questions only to keep the conversation flowing.
When Dombauer mentions the statue Arturous nods in apprehension
"Hermes, or Mercury as he is better known in these parts. Do you know who was worshipped at the other temple?"

"There were once three statues were there is only one today. The archbishop gifted Otto with the other two. That is all I know. t's a shame there are no more Romans around. So much knowledge was lost when the Germanic tribes invaded Trier. Not that we are much better nowadays. Dark ages, I'm telling you..."

"Rome…
I know little of the old Empire. I am afraid my education is lacking in that regard."

Arturous grows silent for a few moments

"So, how did you come to manage this project? Do you know what you will do once the construction here is finished?"

The dombauer, who is somewhat tipsy already, answers Arturous' question:
"Oh, I'm a younger son of a trading family. Destined to serve our lord in some capacity. But I always wanted to be a knight. Then, one day my teacher told me that university men in Paris were allowed to wear swords. So I got my father to snd me to university - but I had to work of course.
They needed people who knew about geometry on the construction site of Notre Dame de Paris. I helped the architectus (=dombauer) and when my family where no longer able to support me, I worked full time as his assistant. 6 years ago, he made me design a rosette as my master's piece. He made me a master architect, but he told the French king he had designed the rosette. So I followed an invitation from the archbishop of Trier. He needed a new dombauer - the old one had been killed by a stone that fell on him.
There is work for a life-time here. The pay is well, so I can feed my family and I can integrate the Roman stones into the new church."

ooc: what's next? more ruin exploration? Or a search of the Jew's basement?

Arturous nods, his interesting fading quickly.
"The hour is growing late. You must excuse us. We have much work ahead of us tomorrow, and I am sure your family is waiting for you"

[size=85]ooc: Arturous would like to explore the catacombs and ruins for a magical aura. If there isn't anything interesting to be found in the ruins we can skip to the search for the old covenant.[/size]

You spend the days and nights before "basement day" exploring the ruins. You notice that when the dominion aura wanes at night, in the catacomb cave (a place about three by four paces with a low ceiling, with the bones of three adults in it. Hildegard claims one of them was female).
In the inner room of the Mercury temple and close to the unkwon godess, there also is a magical night aura.

ooc: Those three places are rather unsuitable for labs: the mercury room because of the people praying to St. Michael, the godess because it's in the quarry and has no roof, and the catacomb because it is cramped. The aura is 2 at night, but during the day the dominion blanks it out.
I need another day to read/think up some details on the Jew's basement.

When you arrive at the Jew's shop, you find it rather crowded. He has invited over family and friends, so they can keep an eye on you while you are searching the basement rooms.

Downstairs there is a metal door blocking the way. It bears the symbol of house Jerbiton, but it doesn't look like a sanctum marker. There is no visible lock. Your Jewish host explains that he can't open the door and that it must be bolted from inside. The basement walls are made of ancient stone, probably Roman.

((now that training is done...))

((If I could back step slightly)) Honorus will talk architecture with Dombauer during the meal. Some for talking trade but also to let him know that some of us have knowledge and interests in what we are asking about (and not little boys in bathhouses).

Honorius studies the door and the surrounding stonework. "I could break this down but I would save that to a last resort." Turning to David, "This is a sign of House Jerbiton. A member of our order. Beyond this would be what we seek."

(Is the door on a outer wall of the basement. So that anything outside the door could not be claimed as being in the shop?)

David nods but doesn't look as if he really understood what was said to him.

"It's really ironic, isn't it? This door is in the basement under my shop, but I've never been able to access it. I do allow you to break it down. I'll demand no damages for it, I promise. Gaining access to my basement is worth a broken door. It's pretty and quite sturdy though: If it is one of the things you want to take away - I won't charge you for it. See it as a sign of my good faith."

(It's just a door in his basement)

Honorus paces back and forth. Seemingly having a quite conversation with someone whom you can not hear. He seems to be disagreeing with whomever he is talking to but finally nods with an exasperated sigh.
(This is much like listening to one side of a phone conversation)

"David. If you could ask the rest of your family to leave the basement while I attempt to gain access. I swear by my Order that no harm will come of you and I am not up to any mischief or seek to get out of our bargain. I just wish for fewer eyes down here. After we have gained access they may return to look after your interests."

(in Latin)
"Hildegard. I will have need of your small size. I intend to try an open a way under the door in hopes that you can enter and open any latch or bar on the other side."

David agrees that his family leave the basement but insists on staying himself.

Hildegard (in Latin): "Well, then someone will have to tinker with his memories. I can shrink myself further if that helps."