Chapter 3e: Chasing a Tale

An hour later he arrives in what must be Uceste. It is very similar to Sellum, except that the fields are a bit larger and there is very few trees here, most of them less than 20 feet in height. The ground is still sandy, and the crops look much poorer than those Konrad has seen in England. Not much in the way of grains -- looks like only a bit of rye is being grown. Lots of cabbage, with peas and onions aplenty.

The village itself is about thrity houses close together, with packed dirt in between. A few old women are sitting outside spinning a bit of wool from small sheep, as are a few old men fixing fishing nets.

"Good afternoon to you," Konrad says with a smile on his face as he approaches one of the old men fixing a net. "My name is Konrad. I'm a healer just come over from the mainland. I was just wandering around to meet the islandfolk and see what there was in the way of healers about. I suspect that you go to Brother Bernard over at Oster Church with your troubles. But you can never have too many healers around."

"Och, g'day to ye." His accent is quite thick.

"Might I ask who tends your sick and wounded?" he asks cordially. "I'm very interested in meeting them."

"The women, mos'ly. When one gets very sick'an'such, we fetch 'em priest up'sream." He spits at your feet, "But for th'most part, we gettin bettr' or we just plain die."

"Well, thank you for your time." He gives the man a nod. "God be with you."

Then he moves over toward one of the women doing the wash. "Good day to you," he says. "I'm a new healer out of Meden, and I'm just coming out to meet the other people on the island. I'm particularly interested in people with skill in healing. The fellow over there says that it's mostly women who do the healing around here. Is there anyone particularly wise in such matters I could speak to?"

"Healing? Well, yes, we take care of our own. Do wha' we can to keep fevers down and help them eat. We don' hav no real healer, though. When one gets real sick, we send for 'em priests in Oster."

(OOC: Short answer, no they don't have someone with particular knowledge of healing. From the looks of it, there are probably 40 to 60 people living in Uceste, mostly farmers and fishermen. Pretty poor people overall. They don't even have a church.)

"Do you have anyone injured or sick right now?" Konrad asks. "I'm just passing through, but I'd be happy to take a look at anyone who needs help."

"I don't think so," the woman says, "Ilda's boy slit his hand two weeks ago dressing fish, but it's almost healed up now I think."

"I'm sorry to hear about the lad," Konrad replies. "But I expect it can't have been too bad if it's nearly healed after only two weeks. I have a poultice that might help reduce the scarring if he's interested. But if it was small enough, then I don't suppose it matters all that much."

"I have to say, I'm also interested in hearing more about my new home. Is there anyone in town who might be getting on in age and likes to tell stories about the old days? I'd hate to think that I might give offense to anyone by not knowing the history of my new home.

"Well, we all share tales in th' winter when it too cold th' work outsidee. But with fall on us right now, cann' afford not to use all th' time we have to prepare fer winter. Won't have much time today, ser." Then she shakes her her, "As fer thos' too old th' work, most die soon after, so we dunno have any that old at th' moment."

"You don't talk as you work?" Konrad asks. "Keeping the mind active while the hands are busy? Might I find an older fellow who might chat with me as he mends nets or the like?"

[hr][/hr]
I'm thinking of sewing circles that were infamous sources of gossip and the like. While the ladies' hands were busy with the sewing, their mouths would be busy with gossip.

"Sir," she says as she starts rubbing a piece of clothing vigorously against the slab of rock she is kneeling on, "this is hard.. work..." she has to interrupt herself as she is out of breath from her task. "I can't do... this... and... talk... much at the... same time."

She puts back the piece of clothing in a basket before reaching for the next one and rubbing it with a piece of raw soap. "And if I don't get this done soon, the clothing won't have sun to dry from." Then she begins rubbing that new piece of clothing on the rock to lather the soap on it.

(OOC: Don't know why you are looking for a storyteller at this point. You've been told the name of the man you are seeking -- Heike -- and that he lives around here. The story about his climbing the pillar should make him well-known enough that people would be able to identify him.)

"I beg your pardon ma'am," Konrad replies. "I hadn't meant to trouble you. May I offer my help in finishing your work, having taken up some of your valuable time?"

[hr][/hr]
OOC: I'm concerned that if I cut straight to the chase, and ask about Heike then the town will get protective and clam up. "Why are you asking about him? Is he in trouble? No, he did nothing unusual. Good day." As you've said, they're an insular group. I was trying to come about it in a roundabout way so it wouldn't look like I came to town just to run down Heike.

She eyes you, obviously sizing up the way you are dressed, "Thank you, ser, but I can handle my own work."

(OOC: Well, the way you are behaving is probably perceived as being odd to her. A stranger, obviously dressed as a relatively well-to-do man of some importance (from a peasant's eyes), now offering to help her do laundry? THat's a woman's work, for one, and that of a peasant or servant, which you are obviously not.)

"Well then please forgive my intrusion," Konrad adds. "I'll not bother you anymore."

So much for being a man of the people, he thinks and moves on to find someone else who appears to be doing something less taxing than washing laundry.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: I Was trying to go the wandering healer route, doing odd jobs and healing people who needed help. I'm guessing that's not working.

:wink:

Konrad continues to wander around the town to find someone else he might talk to who appears to be doing something less taxing than washing laundry, preferably something like fixing nets, which occupies the hands but not so much the mind.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: Just thought I'd give this one a bump.

The people you see are working hard as well, either harvesting the fields or fishing the river. It is early autumn, a very busy time of the year for ordinary folk as this is when they have to store as much food as they can in order to make it through the winter without starving. Even the older children are working, as far as you can see.

Clearly, Konrad reasons, he arrived at the wrong time of day. But that wouldn't last - it couldn't. At some point it would get dark and they would stop for the day. And even tired as they no doubt were, it was impossible that they'd all want to go to sleep immediately. Some must be at least a little bit curious about this newcomer in town.

But there was something he could do in the meanwhile. Scanning around he looks to see some sort of unskilled work being done. Then he approaches the person who appears to be in charge of that job. "I beg your pardon," he says. "I'm passing through and was wondering whether I could do some work in exchange for a meal and a place in one of your barns tonight."

[hr][/hr]
Konrad isn't strong, it's true. But he has a solid constitution, so he ought to be able to tough out some hours of work. It can't be worse than some of the jobs he had when he was an apprentice.

FWIW, I don't expect he's wearing any sort of fancy robes. He's wearing comfortable traveling clothes. Yes, they're no doubt nicer than standard peasant wear. But I don't think they'd look regal by comparison. He's a traveler willing to work for a meal and a roof over his head for the night. While that's probably uncommon on an island like this, it can't be considered outlandish. I'll bet travelling storytellers might be dressed just the same and might make just the same offer.