Chapter 4: The Routine of Magi

((A revised schedule to accommodate Renatus Ibis' vis harvesting in Fall:
Spring 1209: Travel to Fengheld, negotiate flare-spotting device, attend council meeting; Be back at chapter house in less than 10 days, enchant vis harvesting device, Lvl 20 | ReVi LT = 8+9+2+6+2+4(similar spell)+3(scythe) = 34 +7 from Renatus = 41
Summer 1209: Harvest vis source
Fall 1209: Study
Winter 1209: Enchant vis transporting device, Lvl 14 | ReAu(Ig) LT = 8+0+2+5+2+4(wand) = 21 +7 from Renatus = 28
Spring 1210: Harvest vis source (test enchanted devices - at least vis transport and harvesting devices, if spotting device is not yet ready)

I like the idea of a scythe for the vis-harvesting device, because of its reach and because the metal blade should withstand the heat of the flares. With its bonus, we could increase the uses per day one level. That would bring the total level up to 20, so still 2 pawns of Rego or Vim for the enchantment.))

"Very well, then," says the older Renatus, "we shall leave in two days." Turning to the Bjornaer, he asks, "Do you have any preference regarding the type of raw vis that is allocated to you from the surprlus?"

Well, we should probably make sure we get the pawns required for the enchantment, so those first. If we have enough then aquam is still appealing to me.

(Moving forward then.)

After a trip of four days, Renatus and Ludovicus arrive in Fengheld. It is mid-day and the Spring Equinox Council Meeting is to happen in two days.

"I don't know about you, sodalis, but I'm hoping I get a room with a view this time. Castles are majestic and all, but if you're stuck staring at grey, cold stone, like I was the last time we were here, they lose some of their grandeur. At least to me. After we are shown to our rooms, I'll go check in with Maga Dorana then, and see if or when she's available to meet. Unless there is some custom or task that I should do instead, but that I know nothing about? Oh, and I've forgotten - should I expect to be given a casting token here?"

Ludovicus has brought his one pawn of Auram and one pawn Vim vis with him, and he wants to squirrel them away in his room before going to speak with Dorana.

(Rentaus brought back a casting token for each of the members after last year's meeting. This is done every year for members of the covenant who are absent during the casting of the Aegis.)

You are assigned rooms shortly after your arrival. They are located in one of the towers, fairly well appointed -- in fact, it is downright luxuous compared to his chamber at the chapter house -- and with a window showing the inside of the large courtyard within the walls of the covenant.

"Certainly, you should try to speak to Dorana before the meeting, if she has time. That way, we can adjust our proposal if she can't enchant the fog-seeing device for us. Let me know how that turns out."

"Alright, I'll fill you in later this evening."

Cursing himself for not remembering his casting token, Ludovicus heads to his room to stow his belongings. After an appreciative glance at the interior, he walks over to the window and sniffs as he looks out at the activity in the courtyard, wishing the view was of the surrounding countryside instead. But he stands there nonetheless, watching for the better part of half an hour. Throughout this time, he grows more and more nervous about the interview with Dorana, imagining more and more idiot ways in which he could mess it up. Finally, with a frustrated grunt, he turns abruptly from the window and leaves the room.

"Let's get this over with," Ludovicus grumbles. He makes his way to Dorana's chambers, asking directions along the way when he gets lost.

Surprisingly, Ludovicus is able to see Dorana quickly. He is shown to a small but comfortable meeting room near her sanctum, where she is reading a scroll. As he enters, she puts down the scroll to welcome him.

"Greetings Ludovicus! I'm so sorry I haven't yet had the time to visit you at the chapter house. I'm afraid I keep running into conflicting needs for my time." She smiles, shaking her head, "It isn't like it takes that much time to travel there, so it is no excuse. I hope you will firgive me for my tardiness."

Changing the subject, she asks, "I understand that you had something that you wished to discuss before the Council Meeting?"

"Hello Maga Dorana - thank you for seeing me on short notice. Oh, that's alright, I understand how busy you must be and wouldn't expect... Um, yes... How did you know?"

That Dorana knew that he had something in particular to discuss with her triggered a quick succession of questions in Ludovicus' mind: How did she know that I have a request? Did I tell anyone other than the Renati about the enchantments? No. So how could she know? Did she just guess? Am I so transparent? Does she have spies at the chapter house? Did anyone overhear our plans? Am I being paranoid? Why did she see me so quickly? Is it because she knows? If she knows, does she know Renatus Jerbiton's involvement? Is there any chance she'll agree to do it now?

Luckily, only the first question escaped before he clamped his mouth shut with an audible clack. He tries to smile, to relieve some of the rudeness of his question, but it ends up looking more like a grimace.

Dorana smiles, "Well, the Council is the day after tomorrow, so I'm sure you wouldn't have asked to see me now if it didn't have something to do with it."

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Oh, of course," Ludovicus replies, somewhat red-faced from embarrassment. "And yes, please, I would very much like something to drink." Even more nervous now, his mouth has gone dry.

After accepting the drink with trembling hands, thanking her for it, and taking a careful sip, he launches into his spiel, which has become jumbled in his head:
"So my reason for coming to you today, other than to say hello and see how you are - well, I hope - and to pay my respects and also to apologize for not writing more regularly about the goings on at the chapter house - we are looking for a purple sheep that may or may not be another source of vis - is to describe an idea we've had - I mean that I've had, but that requires some investment in time and vis up front, but that I think will improve our yield. Of the vis that we are collecting from the bog. We haven't found the sheep yet. We need a few enchantments, and one of them is ... there's one that none of us can do yet, and we still have to get the vis for two other enchantments, but I wanted to meet with you today to ask for your help with the one enchantment. If it's something you are willing to do and I would of course do whatever I can to pay you back or return the favor, in whatever way that you see fit. I think I have the vis for it already."

Dorana tilts her head at Ludovicus' somewhat confusing request. "So, you would like me to enchant something for you, so that you can harvest more vis from the chapter house's source? What kind of effect? And what does that purple sheep have to do with it? And why are you asking me, instead of addressing the request to the council?"

Ludovicus is quite flustered at his poorly-phrased request and the ensuing response and pretty much says the first things that come to mind: "I'm sooo sorry - I had no idea what the proper etiquette for this type of request is - Renatus suggested I ask you because it's an Intellego Auram effect that will help us see vis flares when it's foggy. Never mind about the sheep, it has no relevance right now. I can repeat my request at the council meeting - I thought I would just ask for the vis then, for the other enchanted items, and that I should come to you with the request for the enchantment..."

"Calm down, sodalis," Dorana says with a smile, "I was just curious as to why you approached me instead of the council. So, you are in need of an Auram effect -- now I understand better why you came to see me. Something to see through the fog? How is that relevant to the harvest of the vis? Remember, I haven't been to the chapter house yet, so I don't know what this is all about."

With a calming gesture, she adds, "Just explain it to me, one step at a time. Yes?"

After taking a breath and a moment to collect himself, Ludovicus begins again.

"Right. So, the vis we are collecting takes the form of ignited emissions of gas that come from the bog in which the the chapter house is situated. When collecting it, we have to keep watch for these flares, both day and night, and once spotted, we must have a grog row us in a boat to get within voice range and then cast a spell to gather the vis. Since we live in a bog, and bogs are frequently foggy, we often don't know exactly where a flare is located - we just see a diffuse orange glow off in a general direction and we row around back and forth or in circles trying to find it. In such cases, we typically don't reach the flares before they extinguish. There are also some short-lived flares that we just can't reach in time, even when it's not foggy. Our idea is to use an Intellego Auram device to help us see through the fog, a Rego Vim device with sight range to transport a spotted flare to the chapter house, and then a touch range Rego Vim device to harvest the vis. I've tested this approach with spontaneous spells and it works, but enchanted devices would be more reliable. I estimate that we'd collect an additional 2 to 4 pawns per season with these tools. We're pretty sure, Renatus Ibis and I, that we can enchant the latter two devices ourselves. But the Intellego Auram device is beyond our skill in these Arts. So I've come to you to ask for help."

"Hmmm... I see..." Dorana ponders this for a few moments, joining her hands in front of her face and tapping each of her index fingers to the side of her narrow nose as she thinks. "You are aware that I am quite busy, often too much to work on my own projects? Spending a season enchanting a minor device..." She leaves the comment hanging, looking at Ludovicus speculatively.

"I understand. It is no small thing I am asking. What would make a fair repayment for your time?"

"Hmmm... let me think." She rises and paces while she considers the request. After a while, she stops and turns back to Ludovicus.

"First, it would certainly help if this was to count as a season of service to the covenant. As you may know, the Charter requires each of us to perform at least one season of service every seven years." She smiles, "Not that there aren't already plenty of demands for my time, you know, but at least that would be on something that helps you as well." She looks at the younger Bonisagus frankly, "But I would prefer for you to be the one who presents the case for such before the Council."

"I would also like you, as well as any of our sodales at the chapter house that are interested, to investigate a rumour for me. Something that isn't so far from the chapter house and that I haven't had time to look into. This shouldn't take more than a few weeks of your time, I think."

"I would be happy to do both of these things."

One evening, during dinner, Konrad shares his own thoughts on the vis gathering. "I know you're having trouble harvesting all the vis that manifests," he says, "and I've been giving it some thought. To start, let me say that I'd love to help you out more directly, and would do so in a heartbeat if Fengheld permitted it to stand in place of my yearly payment to them. But as things stand, I have to spend a full season distilling vis just to pay for the right to be here."

"But I have been considering the problem, and I've come up with one possible way to improve the harvesting efficiency. It would just involve three spells, though it would still require a magus to do the harvesting. Take a look at this." He lays out a sheet of parchment with a rough map of the chapter house and some notes in the margins.

"There are three obstacles in harvesting the vis, as I see matters. First, you have to locate the bursts of flame that contain the vis. Second, you have to get to the vis before the flame sputters out. Three, you have to get the vis from the flames into another receptacle, also before the flame sputters out."

"You have a solution to the third obstacle already in the spell Gather the Magical Essence. So, once you find the vis and get to it, you can transfer it to a different receptacle. Renatus Ibis, at least has a solution to the second obstacle by flying to the vis, though that's a solution for him alone."

"Two things struck me, though. First, hearing works far better over a foggy swamp than sight does; and second, you only need to get magus and vis together. It doesn't matter whether the magus travels to the vis or the vis travels to the magus. So here's my plan."

"We start with a simple Intellego Ignem spell to let you hear the heat of the flares. They seem hot enough that we can calibrate the spell so that it won't detect the heat of animals, just flames, or flares, or whatever the vis appears in. True, there are fires in the buildings. But they're behind walls and should be muffled. All the magi have to do is listen for flames out over the water and they should hear them across a surprising distance, fog or no fog."

"Then, once the flame is identified, why not bring the flame to you with a simple Creo Auram spell, rather than worry about trying to get out to the middle of the bog and perform the transfer in a moving boat? It should be simple enough to create a concentration-based spell that summons a wind from a distance off, blowing toward the magus. Since the flares are floating in the air, they should come along with the wind. You'll know what direction it's in. And if you set the wind going the distance of a good shout, you should capture the vis. Once the flare arrives, the magus can transfer the vis and he doesn't even have to get wet."

"So the magus can walk around the island as so." He moves his finger around the edge of the island on the map. "When he hears flames out in the bog," he points to a spot away from the island, "he summons a wind that blows toward him on the island. The vis is blown toward him and can easily be harvested." Konrad moves his finger from out in the bog onto the island.

"What do you think?" he asks. "Does it seem feasible? The Auram spell is within my capability to invent in a single season, I think." He taps on the notes in the margins. "I'd need either take longer to develop the Ignem spell, or I'd have to spend some more time studying Ignem. But regardless, it's doable. The real question, and I ask this of those of you who have been harvesting the vis, is whether you think the combination of spells will work. I'd love to join one of you one evening to give it a test. I can spontaneously cast the wind spell, and likely a shorter duration version of the Ignem spell, at least enough to see if it works. That way we haven't invested too much in the effort."

[hr][/hr]
Wind to Me
CrAu 5
R: Voice, D: Conc, T: Ind
Creates a wind at the extent of your voice that blows steadily toward you for as long as you concentrate.
(Base 2, +1 Conc, +2 Voice)

[This one could be spontaneously cast to see if it works before any effort is made to research it properly.]

Sound of Flames
InIg 10
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Hearing
Allows you to hear the heat of flames.
(Base 1, +2 Sun, +3 Hearing)

[This one could be spontaneously cast at Diameter duration (InIg 5) to see if it works before any effort is made to research it properly.]