Chapter 5: A matter of faith

[color=red]Granted, but faith can be the reason alone for persecution, no?

[color=blue]Just messing around with in character discussion. I'm not going anywhere in particular and I'm done dabbling. :slight_smile:

Krispin sighs. [color=red]I suppose this was inevitable.

He looks carefully and searchingly at Yannick. [color=red] If he is harmed or threatened in any way, we will have words.

[color=red]Our matter here does not concern faith it is a concern of power. We are acting against a man of faith, not because of his faith, but for the powers that could turn against us if he where discovered and if we where accused for letting him be. Travelling in remote areas are often most revealing.

[color=blue]Fury, you could start writing how Yannick caries out his plan.

Yannick will go see Father Gerald immediatly, taking his two dogs along.
[color=red]I need to talk to you Gerald. Alone. Now.
A soon as they are alone...

[color=red]I take it you are upset about the silversmith. Nonetheless, you WILL leave him be. None of your superiors need to know about this. After all, if you had been a little more careful, this wouldn't have happened in the first place.
It seems he is worried by the fact that you live "in sin" with two unmarried woman. Now, we both know this is nonsense, he couldn't possibly find any proof of that, COULD HE?
I'll have a word with him, telling him where his place is.
I will make sure that he keeps to religious matters from now on, instead of these unthinkable personal attacks.
Meanwhile, you may want to work on a likely explanation for all this. Anything you want to tell me?

[color=red]I will not call any superiors, but you must stop him from accusing me in public. Also if he recruits more followers to his heretical cult he will attract the attention of the Knights. That is beyond my power. My housekeepers are well… there is no proof… unless he can see through walls. Tell them that one of them is my housekeeper and the other one is her um…. Sister.. yea that’s right… that… uhmmm… can’t take care of her self, right. We took care of her when she was down on her luck and yep that’s it. Father Gerald’s perhaps is a modest preacher but has no skills in telling a convincing story.

Sigh!
[color=red]This is not very convincing, Gerald. I'll stick with "Father Gerald is a man of the cloth. He has taken his vows, therefor, your claims are completely absurd." At least until I can think of something better. I'll go see the silversmith.

[color=blue]OOC: Did we have a name for the silversmith?

His name is Trutwin, Trutwin the silversmith.

Yannick meets with the silversmith. He is currently working on a silver crystallising dish for laboratory use. It is not intended for Yannick’s lab but it sure looks like he is crafting quality items. As the Yannick and his dogs approaches he looks up from his work and brushes a drop of sweat from his forehead. [color=red]Master Yannick , the smith say and his face show of a stern expression. [color=red]How may I be of service? The silversmith flexes his arms as he asks the question.

[color=red]Hello Trutwin.
I see you are busy. So was I. Busy to keep you alive.
I would have expected you to be a little more aware of the consequences of your actions.

I convinced father Gerald NOT to call in any of his superiors. While I think it is an excellent idea to preach in "vulgate", you are not officially a priest. You have put father Gerald into a very comfortable position: he could have you in court for heresy anytime. Both of us, you and I, wouldn't expect such a trial to be fair, would we?

Some of my fellow magi suggested killing you immediatlely. That won't happen. I'm glad you are doing such excellent work (looks at the smiths work)[color=red], that made things easier for us. The trouble is, as I was keeping someone from killing you, if I fail to arrange things between you and Gerald, it will be MY duty to kill you. I'm not much comfortable with that, and you shouldn't be either.

Fortunately, things aren't as complicated as it seemed. But you are setting a precedent. Anything we allow you to do, we will need to allow to any other faith that shows up here.
We need to ensure peace in this community, so I ask one simple thing of you:
You will stop to publicly accuse father Gerald of living in sin. Any other personal attacks are forbidden as well. Father Gerald is a man of the cloth. He has taken his vows, therefor, your claims are completely absurd. Even if you had proof, they would be worthless in the hands of a heretic. Do you understand that? Good.

Keep things on the same level as a disputatio. This is about faith, not individual man or women.

One thing that I do not understand, though: Why do we need to churches, when both pray to the same god? Would you care to elaborate? Wouldn't it be easier --and much safer for that matter-- if you and your followers went to Geralds sermons as everybody does, and discuss what he says later? I mean, if you think he's doing something wrong, shouldn't you be near him, so he knows you have an eye on him?

[color=red]I don’t trust the priest with conducting a mass. I think that both you and I know that no priest needs two young women as his housekeepers. My concern is that a wicked priest will taint the mass and thus put the souls of the folk here in peril. I lived once together with a man who taught me to read and what stood in the holy book. As such I know what is just and right, though I am no fool. I know how power works. Could we agree on the following? Tutwin pause for a moment. [color=red]I stop accusing father Gerald in public and I get to keep my sermons in private and are allowed to speak with other about what the good book says. That is read the good book with them in their homes. I even attend church if you wish so I know what that phoney of a priest is up to.

[color=red]Yes, of course. That was exactly what I intended. I never meant to keep you from holding your sermons. I should have worded that clearer...
[size=75]Reading in their homes...scratch head[/size]
:slight_smile:
[color=red]Would you accept to meet with me and Father Gerald one of these days? Just had a thought, that still needs some working.
Friday evening?

[color=red]Yes I have the time. Where does we meet? Tutwin seems more at ease.

[quote="fury"]
[color=red]Yes, of course. That was exactly what I intended. I never meant to keep you from holding your sermons. I should have worded that clearer...
[size=9]Reading in their homes..

[color=blue]I can somehow see 95 theses nailed to the church door as a result of this apostasy! (or whatever, I throw out the terms lightly) :laughing: