Chapter 5: Kaub Island

"I didn't care much for your song" Artuorous voice is grim
"I listened to the words. I bet you have made many widows and orphans, brought much sorrow to the world during your long existence"

He flexes his hands
"Time to die!"

[size=85]OOC:
Roll for initiative
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2753127/ - total 2

Casts Visions of the infernal terrors with 4 fatigue points
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2753129/ - total 29

1.Arturous will spend confidence points on both initiative and the spell if it will make a difference. (So spell can reach a penetration of up to 35, initiative up to 8. He has total 3 confidence points left).
2.I didn’t write out the actions as if the witch wins initiative he might need to spont a spell to save himself.[/size]

With a fearful cry, the maiden turns into a puddle of water, which runs down the stone, and then down the cliff (probably falling into the Rhine below).

ooc: you needed your confidence points

Arturous shakes his head with disappointment as he watches the sorceress escape, powerless to stop her.
Breathing heavily, he slumps down on the rock and shuts his eyes, resting for a long hour. After regaining his strength, he rejoins the rest of the party:
"Well, it could have gone worse, let's get down from this rock and continue to Kaub island"

Honorus is surprised at the maiden turning to water but he tries to stop her escape. I am assuming we are hovering over the cliff (400 ft drop) and not over the land.
He must land the stone first so this may not work. I do not want to risk Arturous if I fail the concentration roll.

spont ReAq Water to Ice 10 (Base 3 + 1 sight +2 sun)

1d10+18=21

You are fast enough, but the spell has no visible effect.

Hildegard wonders: "Maybe water is what remains of her after death?"

Carolinus drifts into view just after the water runs off. "Where is the singer? I heard you casting, Arturous, and a fearful cry. Was she carried off by some creature?" Carolinus shakes his head, wondering why he thought the song was so interesting after all. He frowns, muttering to himself, and starts floating back toward the ground.

Hildegard finally arives at the top. She is as confused as Carolinus. She looks down at the leaky boat and the sleeping grogs far below.

"Boat or boot?"

she asks.

Carolinus grins at Hildegard as he descends. "I think I can mend our boat faster than my boots!"
When he reaches the ground, Carolinus prods the captain awake, then limps to the boat and begins casting a spell. He wades out to the boat, and begins walking around it north to east, touching the planks as he goes. He chants loudly with grand gestures.

Laughing to himself as the torn planks mend, Carolinus calls to the captain, "We'll need to reach Kaub island before the new and full moons set, or we'll need to swim the rest of the way."

[size=85]ooc: Carolinus is using ceremonial casting
Healing the boat: CrHe 15
Base 3 (1 heal a plant +2 for processed product) + 1 size + 1 touch + 2 sun = 15
Roll: (1, 5 = 10 + 12 Cr +3 He + 1 Sta +3 ceremonial casting + 2 loud voice&gestures) / 2 = 15
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2756298/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2756300/ [/size]

You continue your voyage once everyone is aboard.
You pass several castles - and your boatman takes care to remain out of bowshot.
In the evening, the old fisherman points out a castle on a hill cum village on the river to your left: Kaub.
Ahead you can see Pfalzgrafen Island, the site described by in the redcap's papers.

Pfalzgrafenstein

Do you want to land on the island or at the village? Or elsewhere?

"I say we land close to the island but not on the island so we can scout it first before landing."

It will be difficult to scout the island from a distance if we disembark at the river bank. We can paddle closer and take a look from the boat before deciding to land. I think that would be best.

"How about once around the island, then off to the village?" Carolinus smiles as he thinks of a nice bed, a plate and mug of something heartening, and a pretty girl to talk to, not necessarily in that order.

"We can't pass the island without entering bow range." Hildegard observes. "Of course we can deal with arrows, and why would anybody wnat to shoot at us, but why not wait until tomorrow? On the other hand - the sooner we land the sooner we know."

We best approach under the cover of darkness. If there are persons hostile to us on this island, they would have an easier time of spotting us during the day, not to mention shooting at us. Let's have a quick look now.

The boatman looks at you:
"So, what is it now?"

Realizing that his tone may not have been polite enough, he adds:

"worthy masters".

If there is still enough light to see, Carolinus will tell the boatman, "Take us close to the island for a look, but then dock at the village so we might find lodgings for the night." He smiles at the man, then adds "Captain."

[size=85]OOC: Carolinus will (silently) cast a spell to enhance his hearing, with the intent of hearing any noises coming from the island.
Base 1 + 1 Concentration + 3 hearing = 5
Roll: 1, 10 = 20 + 0 In + 7 Im + 1 Sta = 28; /2 = 14 (penetration = 9 + 1 = 10)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2761197/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2761201/[/size]

The castle seems to serve as an active toll station. There are men armed with bows on the battlements, and boats seem to have landed not so long ago. There is also two small boats that look ready to be used.

With daylight fading you safely arrive at the quay. Locals immediately notice your landing - and offer accommodation for a small price. When you get close enough for the Gift to start having an effect, most locals - average villagers/small time traders/craftsmen (or their wives/kids)- walk away (hoping you didn't see who offered what).

Arturous ignores the departing locals
"What do you think, is this the end of our journey? The fort on Kaub Island probably belongs to one of the local nobles, and in any case full of armed men. We can't investigate it without drawing too much attention to ourselves."

Honorus sighs at the retreating folk.

"Carolinus, would you be so kind as to find us some logging. Your noble house has much greater empathy with the mundanes. We will also have to find out the noble who is running the toll stations and ask permission to inspect the island. Again, Carolinus, your aid would be most valuable in this instance."

"I appreciate your confidence, Honorus." Carolinus climbs out from the boat, expecting a grog to follow along. "Let's see what we can find, shall we?" He grins as he scans the less crowded docks. "We may not have so many to choose from immediately, but the right innkeeper won't be drowned out by the loudest."
"Captain," he calls back to the boat, "Is there an inn in the village that you would recommend?"

Carolinus will take the boatman's advice if he has any. Otherwise, he will enter the village and search out rooms that are a little off the main track, not wanting to flaunt his sodales Gift too openly.