Chapter 5: Vengeance and lost tomes

I think it is up to date but I have not included the Puissant parma in the skill section t should be
parma Magica 2+2 (Ignem)

Ops...

Let’s re-write history...

The spell does not penetrate Mariella’s parma and she is unexhausted as she did not have to use counterspells either of the times mentioned.

Ok, the rest of the actions from Ardath and Yannick.

Pit of the Gaping Earth time. As this targets the ground, there's no parma there^^

Ardath’s character sheet is lost in the warp but I make a lot of assumptions so that we can get this thing going, personally I think that this combat draws down the speed of the story to a crawl and welcome suggestions on how to handle combat in the future. I think that I remember that Ardath is quite good at earth magic so I make a lot of assumptions, first of all I assume that Ardath needs to botch to fail the spell on either the casting or the finesse roll. Make someone fall down a six pace hole is a matter of not botching. I’ve used the last two dices to determine Hedwig’s soak against the falling, forgot those dices when making the roll.

Ardath releases her spell and the mystical energies goes wayward but Ardath manages to in a desperate attempt to bring them to work. The unchecked mystical energy that flows through Ardath’s body will however inflict a warping point. The ground opens up beneath Hedwig’s feet and she falls down, screaming in terror as the ground disappear beneath her. A cry of injury can be heard from the bottom of the pit.

If Yannick does not claim otherwise I assume that he crawls faster towards the pit now that Hedwig can’t see the serpent.

Here are the rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1691078/

Next turn.

Mariella moves quickly towards the pit until see can see Hedwig then unleashes an Evisceration of a thousand knives on Hedwig.

See here (up to date with the aforementioned warping point).

I draw my sword, as, while it is dubious she's warded against metal, her parma may protect her from our spells. If she manages to go out of the pit, I cut her down.

Sorry I can’t read Ardath’s character sheet, perhaps I have a to low Vim score.... anyway I only get an error message.

Mariella and Ardath rush over to the pit with blades drawn and potent magical forces at their fingertips. Down in the pit Hedwig sits holding a hand at her wrist. As she see the magi at the top of the pit she begins to cast a spell.

Before Hedwig’s spell goes of Mariella successfully cast hers and Hedwig’s body erupts with a thousand thin slashes and her bright life fluid stains the earth. Hedwig’s gives away a cry of pain and a few gruelling sounds before she passes out.

Ardath looks up and further inside the forest she sees a black dog for a moment before it disappears into the vegetation. The wind starts to blow with a stronger force, leaves rattle and a cloud cover the sun making the air slightly chilly. Still the strange sounds of birds can be heard.

Dice rolls: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1693019/

[color=red]I regret saying this but we should probably save her life so we can interrogate her. We also need to look through the rubble of that house to see if we can find our missing books. But be careful this was too easy I think there may be more going on than we are aware of, she does not seem strong enougth to have defeated Justus and controlled the minds of so many people

[color=red]Agreed. And be wary: I've noticed a strange black dog inside the forest, there's probably more here than meets the eye.
We should check the house, take her with us, and scramble before reinforcment arrive.

Oh. Wrong directory.
Check here

Now give me a spell and I shall tell you about the location.

[color=blue]Andrew, what's the connection with the Quaesitor and the arcane connection? Nice character play sticking Mariella's neck out, but puissant parma makes it feel less vulnerable, eh? :slight_smile:

Yannick lets himself drop into the pit, right onto Hedwig.
He'll slip into her clothes, casting "[color=blue]Bind Wound" when he touches her skin.
That should keep her fit for questionning. And keep up her wound penalties as well :smiling_imp:
Should she try to teleport away, Yannick will bite her.

A [color=blue]spontaneous MuAn to gain speech later, Yannick sticks out head out of Hedwigs clothes, right in front of her face...

[color=red]Greetingssss Kleopatra.
As you can ssssee, I stay close to my friendssss and closer to my ennemiesssss. Where'sssss the bookssss? And who issss that dog-friend of yourssss? And, after all, who are YOU really?

[color=blue]I think she has an Incapacitating Wound right now, which means she can’t be questioned until her condition improves, right?

[color=red]Good.

We should get out of here as soon as possible, before help arrives for her.
However, it could be interesting to see what, if any, her allies are... Maybe someone could stay here a little, hidden, and see what happens?
[color=blue]
Do we have a stealthy grog with us? Or maybe a serpentine yannick could wait a little?

Hedwig can be kept alive but other magic's is needed to heal her. There is still some Regio to discover.

[color=red]Yannick you have Hedwig stabilised keep an eye on things while myself and Ardeth search the house and laboratory
Mariella moves to investigate the ruined house and Laboratory keeping an eye out for Vis or books.
She will try a spontaneous spell to find vis
(Intellego 3, Vim 10. stamina 1 , aura 4 gives 18 +dice roll) a momentary vision range InVi spell to sense vis (base 1 ) is level 10 so she will got for that

Both Yannick and Mariella cast their spells easy. Hedwig will remain alive for now though the magi will have to carry her themselves as no one brought grogs, thankfully she is of small build.

The exploration of the clearing reveals two things. In the house there are the missing books placed on a desk with some writing material next to it. There seems to have been some copy attempt made. There are three flasks containing vis, they are aquam vis and there are three pawns present. The laboratory is a “standard one with the exception that it is built outdoors. Behind the house there is a birch that seems to be a vis source as a golden seed pod seems to contain a Creo vis. Other than this there seems to be little else in this clearing except for a path that leads back.

[color=blue]I have such a formulaic spell, and I also keep my second sight hot and ready

[color=red]An hermetic laboratory?
How interesting... There's more here than meets the eye: How could a supposed edge wizard acquire all these knowledge?

It will take a closer investigation to determine if there is something odd about the lab but it seems to be a standard hermetic laboratory built outdoors.

[color=red]There is signifigant evidence that 'Hedwig' has indeed had hermetic training of some sort . Remember that Justus felt that his attacker was a hermetic and that was when our books where stolen. I am still unsure if Hedwig was our only attacker. I will check out the laboratory if you wish to check for other magical anomalies Ardeth as your ability to detect such things is better than mine

Mariella gathers the books and vis up and then starts to look the laboratory over in detail