Chapter 6: the founding fathers

Honorus comes in late.

Greeting David. It is good to see you again. You have met my friend Lynchessa. i hope you both have not gotten off on the wrong foot. I see she has arranged the purchase. Honorus cans the list.

David. Did you break down the walls to get to the this lab equipment and these other items?

((We did not take them out of the rooms. only the books were taken out. but he would know what is there since he came in with us.))

David answers: "We dug holes under the doors and sent children through to pass everything outside."

There were some big stuff there. I'm impressed. Would you mind if my friend and I try to see if there are any more hidden rooms down there? It will cost you nothing if we find nothing but you may profit if we do find a hidden room.
I would also like to inspect the larger items for damage

David smiles at toothy smile:

"Of course not. Infact, we're ging with you. I'll have someone get some lights." He calls somthing in his strange language.

ooc: state if you use any unusual means (like spells). Otherwise tell me how long you spend down there searching.

We will be using magic of course :slight_smile:

InTe10 to detect any rooms in range of my voice.

I need to make a lab there because this place is very lucky for me :slight_smile:

1d10=1 Explode
1d10=9

In6+Te11+Stam1+19 = 37+aura (2 I think)

Your extremely successful spontaneous spell yields a well hidden second access to the basement (ending in a well behind the house that can be climbed up or down - but is somewhat slippery). It also yields a small cache of money that David pockets with a broad grin (not really enough to argue over, unless you want to argue to make a point).

Otherwise, there are no hidden compartments or ways.

I have it at 23 pounds of silver for all of it. Is that correct?

Given how well Arturous does, Lynchessa will avoid casting the same spell.

Since David seems unwilling to let her stay in the covenant, she'll need to figure something else out for her lodgings in order to complete her plans to stay for the season, explore and collect grogs.

Given how much he's charging for everything thus far, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a house. (Covenants, pg 71, suggests that I could find an average house for 1p, or one suitable for a craftsman for 2p, though this would obviously be affected by local price modifications -- possibly, she can find a 0.5x Shoddy house which would be easy to fix up with her magics on the inside, but time ends up being a factor as well).

Assuming she manages to find somewhere quiet to skulk in and out of, she'll peruse Of the covenant of Treverorum (Latin), in an attempt to gain further insight into what to do next. (I've been assuming this was a book about the covenant in Trier -- is that correct?)

A couple of other questions that I've been making assumptions about:

• How far is it from Trier to the covenant site?
  • Does it actually make good sense to establish a chapter house/point of purchase for our covenant? I've been assuming that Trier would be the closest place to get exotic supplies and laboratory items, etc.

When Lynchessa skims the book, she reads that the magi of Trier had some problems because of the gift (and somehow made an enemy of the local bishop). She also reads that they had discovered a new covenant site in a regio near Trier and started to move their equipment there. There first two attempts to settle the regio ended with a battle fought against "the barbarians" which led to the half-finished covenant's destruction ("despite the very handsome profit in vis").
It also mentions that they had some idea how to deal with their problem, something that involved constructing an item.

(learning more requires reading the whole book and takes a season, or most of a season, if some details are skipped).

32 for everything, including shipping. 19 for everything minus the ceremonial equipment and roomful of tables, cots, etc. 17 without shipping.

Don't forget the stuff that was bought in the Chapter 7 thread (another 25MP).

Lynchessa nods gravely. [color=grey]"There are many kinds of dangers in the world, 'tis true. I can only hope that there are some who would be willing to trade one kind of risk for another. Where we are going, there would be, for example, no law requiring you to wear that sigil. But make no mistake, it would be a hard life, building a home out of pure wilderness, and not a choice for the faint of heart. And we have little to offer as enticement, except, of course, for freedom.

"To tell the truth, I was hoping you would let me reside below, and spend the season communing with my lost brethren while I sought out such men to accompany me. But you do not seem so amenable, so I will depart and find what lodging as I can. I shall stop by periodically, and come three months from now, I shall direct the goods to their destination myself."

After concluding the conversation with the appropriate pleasantries, she'll leave with Honorus, Albirich and Gunthar.

[color=grey]"What now, friends? Honorus, may I borrow the book on Treverorum for the season? Will you be heading out straight away? I'll need to find lodgings for Albirich and I."

Albirich follows Lynchessa through the city, bemused by her brisk pace and manner. He realizes she is looking for lodging when she tries to rent an inappropriately large house, without even asking about the staff. The landlord looks askance at the short woman, quoting her an exorbitant price, and Albirich groans inwardly, thinking about the cost as well as the neighborhood. He decides to risk the maga's displeasure.

Beggin' yer pardon, Ma'am, he stammers, turning bright red. P'raps something a little more modest would be more to yer liking? A place this big is like to be drafty and uncomfortable.

With Lynchessa's permission, Albirich secures a small but comfortable house for the season, including a maid (I don't know nothin' about serving ladies) for a modest price.

While the maga studies, or does whatever magae do, Albirich spends his days wandering the city, picking up bits of gossip, and hoping he and Lynchessa are not the subjects of any rumors.

ooc: What does he study in that season?

[color=grey]"Oh, yes, please, Albirich. I really haven't the faintest clue what we need. The fae don't really charge rent, you know, though I was much too young to know how much they might have charged even if they had. And since then, it's all been handled for me. We need to find somewhere suitable to interview potential additions to our covenant. Preferably nearby that wine shop, so that I can investigate the details of Treverorum as I read about them. I seem to have forgotten how much less...rather, how much more uncomfortable the greater world is with talents like mine.

I really do fear that I don't know the first thing about the economics involved in this great adventure of ours. Perhaps we should look to acquire someone with such talents, along with the others? What do you think?"

Albirich blushes even deeper when Lynchessa asks his opinion. I'll ... I'll see what I can do. He backs out of the room, bowing slightly. She gives orders and bargains like she's all high and mighty, but she's really just a babe in the woods. Innocent and scared, most like. I'll have to keep a close eye on her.

Albirich secures a modest house near David's shop, and in addition to the maid, he seeks out someone with a shrewd business sense and a sense of adventure.

As the weeks go by, Lynchessa studies the book and investigates her findings, all while trying to coordinate with Albirich on the hiring process.

As she grows more familiar with him, she develops a habit of lightly holding his arm while they converse, and often runs her fingers across his back as she walks past him. She tends to hug him goodbye. He notices that she exhibits this same level of familiarity with the maid -- who, being unused to the Gift, probably responds less kindly.

Already unsure about this strange maga, with her small stature and odd eyes, Albirich finds Lynchissa's insistence on touching him unnerving. He starts trying to leave the room quickly when she enters, and is ever so grateful when, after only one or two failed interviews, he finds a more "normal" young woman with an energetic and confident air, who seems to want a position outside of the parchment shop where she currently works. Here's a fine woman to look after the mistress, and see to the hirin' she wants, he thinks. The mistress is far too familiar with the likes of me, and needs someone more competent with words than with swords to help her.
He introduces Lynchissa to Amelie, and gratefully bows from the room.

Already unsure about this strange maga, with her small stature and odd eyes, Albirich finds Lynchissa's insistence on touching him unnerving. He starts trying to leave the room quickly when she enters, and is ever so grateful when, after only one or two failed interviews, he finds a more "normal" young woman with an energetic and confident air, who seems to want a position outside of the parchment shop where she currently works. Here's a fine woman to look after the mistress, and see to the hirin' she wants, he thinks. The mistress is far too familiar with the likes of me, and needs someone more competent with words than with swords to help her.
He introduces Lynchissa to Amelie, and gratefully bows from the room.

By the end of the initial meeting, Amelie has taken charge of the conversation, and Lynchessa is starting to feel like she's the one being interviewed. Though Lynchessa does not outright tell her of the Order of Hermes right there during the first meeting, it is a very near thing.

(OOC: Lynchessa's Folk Ken (cycles of violence) specialty applies to Amelie, with her Tormenting Master, so she's empathic towards her. Amelie's Leadership(Inspirational) should pretty much take charge of the situation and leave Lynchessa feeling the situation is well within her hands. Since this is a long interview, I'm assuming that Lynchessa's Per 2 + Second Sight 3 + die 10 roll is un-stressed.)

Lynchessa, feeling quite enjoyably out of her depth, concludes, [color=grey]"The site has been selected based on criteria that do not include considerations of financial viability, so we're looking for help making the place self-sufficient, like a monastery. Historically, however, projects like this one have frequently proved a safe refuge for a certain sort of strangeness...like you and your companion."

She nods affably to Julien's ghost.