Chapter 7: Homecoming

[color=red]I meant that Marcello talks to the commanders to find out what they want. Do we even know which noble these man are from let alone where they are located?

[color=red]Then stride to action. The covenant does not own any horses so you have to move by foot. Diodorus could you move with these men I they could need your assistance. Aelianus looks at the familari.

Diodorus replies,[color=red] I could do that… my fur will get all muddy though… I live here as much as anyone else so I help where I can.
The party leaves for their quest.

Marcello, Harvard, Wirth, Dragor and Diodorus leaves the covenant later to find their target. The travel is not to long and the party could see the soldiers. It is a group of about thirty or forty individuals, they seems all like young men and they are armed with long spears while a few perhaps ten or so carry bows. There is little in terms of armour but most carry at least some padded quilt armour and leather. At the front there seems to be some group leader. The party of soldiers has not yet spotted the party.

[color=green]Wirth[color=red]
We should strike under the cover of night, or else, I can't see how we can do it. Unless someone has an idea to separate the commander from his men?

[color=green]Iolar
[color=red]Perhaps we could talk first and then attack later if we have to , I know it seems odd but sometimes talking works
Pause
[color=red]You know if we really want to have a covenant hidden away from everyone we should move into a reagio or hide our covenant underwater or in a forest

Marcello heads towards the soldiers, traveling by the road ( as opposed to him popping out of the bushes as they pass). He will attempt to talk to the leader. He is dressed as a monk.

[color=red]Going out hunting bandits my lads ( in broken Flemish).

The leader is easy to pick out because he is the only person riding a horse. The rest are following in a ragged group. Only two of the group is armored, the leader and one other man ( probably a sergeant) both in cuir boulli ( hardened leather ). All of the men have spears except the leader who has a sword and the sergeant who carries a battle axe.

They seem both hostile and curious at Marcello ( a 7' tall monk) but pause and talk to him. The leader and the sergeant do the talking. The other gather around, at a distance or sit down by the side of the road.

[color=green]Bernard : (leader)
[color=red]No bandits father. Tax collection.
[color=green]
Marcello:
[color=red]This is quite a few men to do tax collection.

Bernard: [color=red]Countess Armanda has grown tired of this revolt from the towns on her land. Examples must be made.

At this the sergeant gives Bernard a look.

((Enough meta-gaming for me with Marcello. Just wanted to get this going. someone else can take over Marcello at this point))

I actually can't take Marcello, because I have Dragor in this one.

[color=green]Dragor: [color=red]Quite understood. Must put the peasents in their place. But anyways, good commander, the friar and myself were wondering if we could speak in private.

I make eye contact; Entrancement, "come speak with us alone".

[color=red]Sergeant, have the men rest while I question these two about the village.

He will walk about 50 feet away from his men to talk with Dragor.

Okay; Dragor trying to Mezmerize him with my story and get him to act upon it.

[color=red]Commander, there are dangerous bandits nearby here, and I was hoping you and your men have come to deal with them. ( describe the Flambeau bandit and his henchmen) [color=red]They had robbed my companion friar and myself a while back. What is more, they keep robing the tax collector or they are in collusion with him. Why, I myself am a trustee of a nearby village, and I paid the tax collectory myself three times in a single period, because he kept coming back for more after he was robbed or turned over the money to his bandit partners. I beseach you good sir, seek out these bandits and inform your liege that we have already paid our taxes well in advance.

Dragor is a loose cannon sometimes, should have told Marcello what I was planning ahead of time. But he just thought it up on the spot :slight_smile:

((Just to be clear so I do not misunderstand. Dragor is trying to use guile on him. This is not quite an enchantment unless the last line is meant to be one.))

You are correct. The guile is just roleplaying to enhance the command. The Entrancement command is indeed "seek out these bandits and inform your liege that we have already paid our taxes well in advance".

I suppose that is a two part command, which should increase his resistance bonus. But still, I didn't ask him to do anything unusual or suspicious or even all that dangerous.

My big crime here is pointing the finger at a Hermetic magis! He is interfering with mundanes, bbut I don't think turning him over to mundane authorities is the correct way to handel it. Dragor is a real SoB :laughing:

bump

((sorry, a snow day here has thrown me off my schedule))

[color=red]
Bandits you say!
(in a tone where he is talking to himself) [color=red]This sounds a little far fetched to say that the tax collector is in league with them. But bandits would let me bloody my men much and would be much better than just killing some fishermen.
(pause while he considers it)
[color=red]My orders are less about the taxes than about bringing this village to heel. An example must be set for the other towns in the area. As a trustee of the town you will come with us while I deal with the village and perhaps we can go looking for bandits after I've hung a few of the leaders.

What of you Brother? Do you have any knowledge of this village of Novus Main?

Marcello:[color=red] I tend to their spiritual needs but I mainly help the scholars there. They are doing research that the church would find very interesting. Do you have any interest in them? fingers his rosary and cross.

Bernard: looking at the cross [color=red]If they submit to Countess Armanda there is no problem.

Marcello: [color=red]How can they say that when they serve a different order? I can vouch for them Sir Knight. (slaps Bernard on the shoulder) [color=red]They have nothing you would want to use but perhaps you could convince them to help you with the village. To make sure it stays in line.

Bernard staggered a bit after the shoulder slap [color=red]That would be helpful. you will accompany me to talk to them.

Marcello: [color=red]of course Sir Knight

((Dragor made his guile roll. Marcello tried to redirect and rolled a 28))

Then off we go to Novus Mane 8)

Wait, hang a few leaders?

Entrancement: [color=red]The village is innocent, the taxes were robbed. Leave the village alone

Bernard: [color=red]I do not care if the village is innocent. I will see to the taxes later.

Sergeant, Lets get moving again. These men will accompany us to the village.

Meanwhile...

Wirth sees a young girl running up the road from Novus Main. He recognizes her as Clara de Langhe, one of the children that Halvard and Mistress Boone have been training as runners. She will not see the Magi but will run right into the soldiers if not stopped.

Hmmm....

I take it my commant of leave the village alone had no effect. Does he have magic resistance? I have a Penetration score, so I would be able to tell. Or is he just making his natural resistance roll? I have no way of telling that.

How many men does he have with him?

you did not make a good enough roll. He really does not care if they are innocent or not.

around 30-40 men

Which means he made a good Natural Resistance roll. I don't have an ease factor or target number. He does. His ease factor is my roll of a stress die +8.

Maybe I botched?

I any case, a new strategem is needed. I turn to Marcellus and ask him to make an appeal to faith and mercy (not Dragor's strong suit)

You are looking at the wrong reason. And by saying this I'll not let you take another bite from the apple any time soon. Your enchantment worked just fine. He does not care if the villagers are innocent. He does not care about the taxes. You care about the taxes but not him.

Marcello will try to "soften him up" on the way to Novus Main.