Chapter 7: The return to Ungulus (End of Autumn 1013)

«You speak a lot of wisdom,» affirms Chronos, «and I was not claiming that magi of Blackthorn would have a better claim on Ungulus than you do. What I am saying is that if there be a dispute, I will not take side. I am not as learned in the Code as the Quaesitores. In contrast, I know a wee bit about the history, and Blackthorn and House Tremere have invested a lot of resources in the war infrastructure, including Ungulus, and they may expect to keep control. Then again, they are not in the position to restore this infrastructure at the moment. If you decide to reform the covenant, I will only ask to be allowed to keep my modest sanctum and write up my memoires.»

«... and,» interjects Caelha meekly, «I would ask humbly to retain custody only over Tracitus' sanctum, pending his heirs' arrival, to study. I expect we can clear out his belongings in the Spring.»

“I have no issue with our Redcap sodalis retaining his space but Caelha should not retain any suggestion of ownership on the lab. That just gives the Blackthorn Tremere an excuse to claim it when they arrive in Spring. However I would not object to Caelha renting the sanctum from us for a season, paying by fixing an arcane connection maybe or some other such duty” replies Janus much more calmly.

Thadeus considers Caelha's request and Janus' reply. "I'm afraid I have to agree with Janus. This is no longer Tacitus' sanctum, for he is dead. But for a little while it can be considered a shared laboratory, that the covenant can loan or rent. But the new members of Ungulus will need labs, and soon, for some of us have needs as well."

Turning to Janus, he adds, "On the other hand, I am not sure if asking for Caelha to spend what might be her last season at Ungulus in the lab working for us would be fair. She has been a year running the covenant. She has also spent a year without receiving any teaching from her master. Perhaps we can come to a fair exchange."

“It can be one penny for all I care, it is the ownership that is important” replies Janus.

"Can we cast the Aegis?" asks Thom after listening. "I witnessed it a few times when I was first apprenticed but not since."

Caelha looks worried, but brightens up a bit at Janus' last remark, but she shuts up, anticipating further development.

(Folk Ken + Per 9+ to read this body language perfectly, and 6+ for half-way.)

Janus rolls 4 for Pre+Folk Ken so no clue.

"Does any of us know the ritual? If not, we will need someone to learn it. I would be able to manage a fourth magnitude, if I can use one of the lab. This one," Thadeus looks around to the council room, "would be sufficient."

(Folk Ken roll of 11, so Thadeus caught the nuances of Caelha's body language)

«We have a casting tablet for fifth magnitude plus penetration, so tenth magnitude to cast. You want me to find it?» asks Caelha helpfully.

“I will take Frederick of Flambau’s lab and invent Conjure the Mythic Tower. I can then cast it at the start of Spring to give us enough space so everyone can have their own lab. For myself, my magic is focussed on the elements so I would be unable to cast even a first magnitude Aegis effectively” replies Janus

"That is good to know, for both spells. Still, for the Aegis we should not rely on a tablet for more than we have to."

He looks toward Betula and Cath'rinne, "What about you? What are your opinions?"

"I would like Caelha to be able to study. If the labs are busy, she should have access to the library, including the books we brought with us. And if a lab is free, and she prefers to research spells from lab text, she should be able to do that. Although of course as an apprentice she should have the last pick of what we have to study from.

As for the rest, I'm unsure that I want to settle down here myself or that I would like my sanctum space to be inside a mystic tower." (But it's hard to have that conversation with Betula being afk)

Thadeus inclines his head to signify his approval, "Whether it is study, lab work, or even being taught by one of us, she deserves and is owed a season of freedom from service."

He turns to Caelha, "If you wish to receive a season of teaching, be it of spells or knowledge of Arts not well covered by the library, let me know. We shall see what is possible."

«That's very kind of you,» smiles Caelha, «but I am sure you have important preparations to make, and I would be well served if I am allowed to read one of the summæ after Luciu, maybe the one on Rego.»

Hamish speaks up from where he's been standing by the corner. He looks over at Janus, then Cath'rinne, then at the others.

"I've thrown my lot in you with since summer, and you treated me fair. I don't see a reason to go a different direction."

The giant of a man smiles.

"Looks like you're settlin' down here. So what do you need me to do?"

Thom smiles at the giant, apparently pleased that the big soldier is staying around.

"I have the same question as Hamish, I guess. I've got a few things from what my parens gave me."

Thom puts a chisel and a glove on the table.

"This chisel is enchanted. They call it the Stone-cutting Knife, and it could be really useful to a mason to cut stone blocks. I suppose it could be very handy for any work we do to build alongside what Master Janus creates. Do we have a quarry nearby?"

Thom looks at the glove.

"And this gloves is called The Enchanted Porter. It helps with lifting and moving large loads around. I'm sure someone could use it, especially if they were working with a mason who is cutting big blocks to build with. Do we have a mason here?"

Thadeus shakes his head with a small smile, "Certainly, each of us have things to bring to the table. But perhaps we should first decide what needs to be done for the next season or two?"

"Janus, I remember you mentioning that you needed a longevity ritual soon, and that you could learn a ritual to raise a second tower. You'll need a lab for that."

"We also need someone to learn to cast an Aegis. We can certainly take the chance with using a casting tablet for the first year, but I hear that's risky over the long term. Who wants to do that? If no one else is available, as I've mentioned I can manage a fourth magnitude version, though I would not be able to fully empower it. That means someone -- probably several -- supporting the caster with Wizard's Vigil. Those will also require access to a lab."

"I understand that some of Ungulus' vis sources haven't been harvested recently, so someone should do that. We should probably look into recruiting more grogs and covenfolk. Perhaps some of the survivors from Dunwald? Some appeared to be struggling when we passed there, and were on friendly terms with Tacitus. So they might be willing to come live in Ungulus."

He turns to Caelha, "Can you tell us what mundane resources the covenant has? I'm mainly interested in sources of food and income, crafters of equipment, and such. If we need to establish a larger community around the covenant, then we need to feed it and provide it with the goods it needs to sustain itself."

Widening his gaze at the other magi, he finishes, "I'm sure each of us will have personal projects -- I certainly do --" his right hand caresses the salamander, "but I think we should prioritize the needs of the covenant first. Any ideas in that regard?"

1 Like

"With regards finances i can invent the Wealth of Croesus spell from the lab text giving us 13,000 silver shillings, £650 pounds worth if we can afford the vis. It will allow us to recruit more people, outfit new labs and buy animals and material for planting. They may be in short supply but with enough money most things can be bought in a city" replies Janus.

Caelha explains, we grow some on our own land. We sell some barley, mutton, and wool when there are few people in residence. On the contrary, when troops have been rallying, we have been relying on support from Blackthorn or spoils of war. With seven magi settling, I do not think the existing production will suffice. There is about £100 in the coffers, but seven magi would easily spend that and more in a year.

Edwin is surprised. Caelha speaks like an autocrat. He has never heard a magus (or apprentice) this well informed about the running of the covenant. Not speaking off the cuff anyway.

Livestock is expensive these days. Food has been scarce during the war, and we are very lucky to grow our own, adds Caelha.

"I will see what I can find with the faeries in the area," says Thom hopefully.

"The nisse who came with me and the goats is still here, and I saw a brownie, at least I think she was a brownie, who tends the cow shed. I'll try to earn their favor and perhaps they can help us produce more milk and more calves and goatlings in the spring. Maybe we have someone or can find someone to start producing cheese. That could feed us and earn some coin if we can figure it out.

Thom listens and thinks.

"And maybe I can get some some space for a sanctum in the new tower when it comes up. Or maybe a cottage of some kind. I don't think we want the fae running in and out at all hours."