Chapter III (1230-1234)

Yup, I agree.
And he's even began to aknowledge that he may not be utterly perfect in every aspect :wink:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but Vocis has a proposal for the council - a season of copying in Sigmundo's library will be considered a season of service to the covenant and provide the attendant vis salary. His reasoning is these copies will improve the covenant's library and thus strengthen the covenant. If any member spends the season copying a book that he or she does not intend to donate to the covenant library, this would not be a service to the covenant and he or she would not receive the additional salary. What say the Masters?

That actually makes sense, since every season we go to Sigmundo's, he's been able to replace one of our battered and town library books with a cleaned-up version. So it's a double-win, here.

Arachné agrees. Such a magus would be strenghtening the Covenant, by improving its library.

Indeed :slight_smile:

Then on a related note, what books are we copying from Sigmundo, what books are we taking for repairs, and (Mark) what are the effects of those repairs? I know Vibria copied an Artes Liberales summa and had On Transmutation repaired/improved. These have already been updated on the wiki library page. Vocis is copying a Finesse summa and taking Liberi de Perditu for repairs. What are Carmen and Solomon repairing and copying? Arachne and Vulc have all of their seasons assigned to other activities, so I assume they're not copying before 1234.

Nope, arachné isn't. She stayed at the covenant during the hunt, so she isn't part of the deal with Sigmundo.

In Autumn 1233, Carmen will be copying lab texts. She will receive some penmanship tutelage the prior season in order to maximize her results.

I was thinking that for Solomon as well...but I thought someone said that the deal was for every member of the covenant...

It is :smiley:

I'll come up with character sheets for Edith the cook and Vera the horse groomer, some time this evening. I'll make character sheets for Vulc's children by them too, if you assign them genders. Can one of them have had twins? And are any of them Gifted?

I had an idea a while back for a pair of identical twins, one Gifted and one not.

Those two redheads gave birth on the same day.
Just sayin'...

Come along, Pond!

In early Spring, Vibria will knock on Vocis's door.

After a brief interlude of exchanging niceties, Vibria will get to the point. [color=red]”I was planning on exploring the area in a couple of months, see what's around here and maybe track down some vis, or hopefully even some vis sources. Are you interesting in coming with me?”

And there is no proof that either of these kids is yours. Maybe neither is. You know nothing, but I am sure someone around here has Visions and had a dream about it. Something about a false child and a hidden child.
You know nothing!
But I suggest you go see Carmen's mother Golda in Barcelona and let her do a teacup reading.

Of course. It's been quite a while since I actually stretched my legs outside the covenant. How long a trek did you have in mind? I was planning some lab work next season but that's easily rescheduled.

(Moved to its own thread. Marko, if you want to move these posts there, too, that would be awesome. Thank you.)

It's Winter 1233, and everyone is freezing, when Arachne manages to get a hold on Vocis.

The maga looks like her age, wearing an heavy coat enchanted with a Creo Ignem spell to keep her warm*.

Vocis, if you'd spare some time for an old lady?

You're a master of deceptive magics, and I've never taken the time to consult you for advice. This is an error that I intend to repair.
I think we should discuss how to protect Andorra, should another attack occur. I'm doing what I can, but I've yet to find a way to stop a similar assault, especially a way to protect the covenfolks.
This is, I think, were you may help. I think you might be able to craft grand illusions that hide your library or treasury, which seemed to be their targets, or even the covenant itself. Nonetheles, since I'm far from an expert on these matters, I defer to you: My ideas could prove unfeasible, or you might have better ones.

• CrIg base 2, +1 touch, +2 sun = lvl 05.

Roberto has an idea for charged items he would like to discuss with Arachne. Or rather, I myself would like to discuss the idea in terms of mechanics with Fixer :smiley:
I figure these are things Roberto could make when he gets the time. But Arachne can knock them out much-much quicker. The idea is a series of "bombs" that deliver spell effects to an area; +1 Touch, +1 Diameter, +2 Group/Room/Area. As a cosmetic effect, the spell is delivered via gas/smoke/flash/sound.
I know this doesn't seem like perfect Hermetic theory. I don't mind affecting a single person only with those parameters. The idea is that the "bomb" doesn't have to hit the target, just close enough. Easy aiming roll. It could otherwise be Voice/Diam/Ind, which is actually a magnitude easier and could be a wand. But this doesn't seem as mythic or cool. When you are Roberto, it has to be cool. Even if it makes it harder.

Item #1
ReCo25 Paralysis Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of amber encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The target is held immobile and paralyzed for the space of a Diameter, which as a cosmetic effect is the result of being struck by a concussive wave.
(base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect)

Item #2
CrIg25 Flash Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of (something) encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The target is temporarily blinded by an intensely bright flash of light unless them make a Stamina stress roll of 9+. The effect persists for a Diameter, but if the Stamina roll botches then it could last days or weeks.
(base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect)

Item #3
ReMe25 Slumber Bomb
[tab][/tab]This is a small piece of (something) encased in a thin sphere of glass, about the size of a marble. It is hurled with enough force to crack open near the target or strike them (+3 to Finesse roll to simply strike the ground close enough to them). The bomb releases a sweet smelling colored gas that covers an area ten paces in diameter. Those within must make a Stamina stress roll of 9+ each round they are in the affected area, or they are knocked unconscious for the duration.
(base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Diam, +2 area effect, +1 Auram requisite enhances effect)

Looking very spidery-like, the tip of her fingers touching themselves, the old maga hears Roberto with attention, before looking thoroughly over his diagrams and charts.

I think I like it. As you say, enchanting a wand might be easier, but you might be able to use bombs as traps, when under a silencing spell, or when you want to avoid making noise.

Now, I've looked over your texts, and I think it's fine. You won't be using standard hermetic targets, which will make the spells slightly harder than otherwise, but you've already factored that in. Allow me...
She takes some wax tablets and draws some notes and quick diagrams, knowing that roberto will easily understand her
Your first two bombs are not unlike an individual-sized area of effect. They affect only one person, touched or very close to them. If we follow bonisagus's 1st principle of exotic targets, this should warrant one extra magnitude over individual, just like you calculated.

The third one... I think you made a slight error in invoking Aerial powers. Just like the previous bombs, this uses an exotic target, although this one is based on Room, yet without a room. You should then be able to create it with one or two additional magnitudes, without weakening your magic by wasting additional Auram energies.

In short: Everything uses non-standard targets. The first two are Special Target based on Invidivual, thus +2 magnitude, as you wrote it. The third one is a Special Target based on Room, but affecting a room-sized volume instead, so +3 magnitudes, as you wrote it. You don't need an Auram requisite, the gas being just a cosmetic effect. Otherwise, it's golden! :smiley:

Excellent :smiley:
Now how do I go about commissioning you for this project?