Chapter IV (1234-1240)

Yes. Roberto is all about stability and consistency. When possible, he follows a rigid routine in his diet, exercise, and sleeping.

The potential downside to Mentem in this context is twofold. First, you must be able to affect several targets at once. This will require a Group target at minimum, possibly with extra magnitudes for the size of the opposing force. The second, somewhat lesser issue, is that such effects must penetrate any resistance the targets have. For common soldiers this isn't a problem, but it could come up in the right situation. Or wrong situation, I suppose. Vocis takes a drink and grimaces slightly. Of course, any visual Imaginem defenses we concoct can be rendered moot if our opponents possess Second Sight. Always a trade-off. He shakes his head, then continues Are you familiar with the Mentem spell Dissolving the Wall of Shields? It causes a group of trained combatants to temporarily forget their training and fight like rabble. That could be something to consider if you want to pursue a defensive Mentem option.

Vocis ponders a bit before replying. I can see advantages either way, but I think your best course is to involve her early in the process. Speak with her individually, otherwise you may come across as pandering to the Pontifex. Which is what you're doing, of course, just better to reserve such things for outside the Council chambers.

My understanding is that you can adjust your formulaic spells while casting, correct? I have the same knack, which makes this kind of thing much easier. For example, scrying and communication spells with Sight range usually only require two or three magnitudes, which makes them easy to invent in one season. If you have an arcane connection to Isolde, you can then boost the range whenever you need to see or speak with her. You could then enchant one or more items with similar effects for her, including sufficient penetration to overcome your resistance. You may need to teach her Finesse, though.

Beyond communication, you already know the best spell for protecting loved ones - Leap of Homecoming. The fact that your casting is flexible allows you to Leap to her, then defend her on-site or simply Leap her to a place of safety. Casting Leap on others requires several magnitudes though, so if you intend to utilize the second option you'll need to study the appropriate Arts.

Thanks for the help here, fightmaster. I have some ideas now, so I think I'll switch over to the Table Talk - Development thread for some mechanical questions I have, and assume Vocis and Antoine move to more idle chat ("You and Amelia must come to dinner some time; I know Isolde would really appreciate some female company").

Antoine's next stop is Roberto: During that little altercation with the pirates, you mentioned acquiring a lab text for your Flying Carpet? I know you were dealing with Pyramids - did you manage to do so? I believe I could just about manage a 7th magnitude carpet, if the construction were at all resonant.

After that, assuming the text is available, he seeks an audience with Carmen:

Greetings, Mistress Pontifex. I just wished to appraise you of a project I'm hoping to start soon. I was speaking to Master Vocis, and he indicated that the covenant would have use for another one of Roberto's flying carpets? Well, as fortune would have it, Roberto has managed to secure a text detailing the construction of such a device, and I believe I could replicate the effect. I trust that would meet with your approval? I intend to start work next season - I'm afraid that the recent danger Isolde found herself in has made me realise I'm not best placed to protect her if such should happen again, so I will be spending this season researching some means by which I can keep in touch with her if either of us is away.

I also want a discussion with Arachne, preferably with Vocis present for his ideas, but that should probably wait until I've figured out my seasons.

[color=red]Eh? We did acquire a short manuel of written out texts. Twenty magnitudes. That is one of them, a seventh magnitude enchantment. Not sure what the rest are.

As for Carmen...
You'll do that? I pestered Vulcanus about that and he refused. Said it was beneeth him. My old carpet was stolen, and we found it being used as a cage liner full of excrement. I gave up on the idea, then Tiana recruits this Roberto guy who has a flying carpet and a flying boat. That jerk rubs me the wrong way I tell you. But if he sets you up with a text and you craft it, ypu will both be in my good graces and I shall be grateful. I will even fund the project.

At a Council meeting during the autumn of 1235, Vibria addresses her sodales.

[color=red]"As you all may recall, I suffered some rather grievous injuries when my laboratory exploded as I was trying to enchant some items for the Covenant's use. I had thought that all the injuries were healed by Carmen and Fleur, but it seems that I still suffer some lingering effects from the blast.

"Since then, I have been almost unable to summon my draconic breath. I can muster little more than a momentary torch's flame at the best of times, and even that leaves me exhausted.

"I have spoken with my grandfather about the situation, and many other things, and I have decided to relinquish my title as a Master of Andorra and travel with my grandfather while we look for a cure for my infirmity and to explore my heritage.

"I truly do hope to return, much better, stronger, and wiser for what I have learned, and I hope that I will be welcomed upon my return."

Yes. I should have a few weeks where things will get better, before they get worse again :laughing:
She'll look at you like a cherished treasure. A verditius, intelligent enough to discuss and work cooperatively towards the good of the covenant? Work with her and you can put her in your pocket in no time :laughing:

Arachné frowns
I am sorry to hear that. Yet, you can't let this problem unadressed. We all have to gain by you solving your problems and deepening your connection to fire magic and dragonkind. Be wary, though. Despite all appearances, your grandfather is not human, not above manipulating his siblings for his own ends either. While I don't doubt his love for you*, I'm not sure it would trump his plans or nature. Don't lose sight of yourself, don't lose your connection to humanity.
Take care, and don't forget us. Like Roberto says, Virtue United is stronger, and I, for one, will eagerly await your return.

• In fact, she thinks he sees Vibria as a precious tool, but she can't say that.

It was quite a coterie that made its way up towards the gate of the Andorra covenant, more like the arrival of a circus than of a candidate for membership at the covenant. There were two horse-drawn carts, one filled with crates and boxes making all kinds of clinking and rattling noises on the road, the other one driven by a servant that swayed from left to right looking half-asleep. This was quite astounding, because his cart not only carried a sullen-looking youth but also a mewling baby cradled by an elderly woman who was hissing at to identical boys of about six summers that were pulling each other's hair, both yelling that the other one had started it. They were accompanied by four great dogs walking next to the cart and a murder of crows circling in the air on top.

Ahead of them, a man riding a black destrier of the purest Andalusian blood turned his head to see the source of the noise. He smiled proudly and his smile moved his face in a way that revealed the boys on the chart to be his. The woman riding at his side, dressed in a brown and green outfit, seemed to be embarrassed by the fracas. Her voice didn't rise as she called: "Javier! Joaquin!" but when she patted a pocket of her dress, the boys immediately stopped fighting and sat down grumbling: "I didn't start it!"

She greeted the guards in Catalan, her accent betraying her as a native of Barcelona: "Ola! My name is Cata the Pralician. I am sure the Council has received my letter. I am here to petition membership at this covenant and to seek a mage to sponsor my entry into House Flambeau. Please show me to the leader of Andorra."

(ooc: Threats of magic to keep the twins in line. Wish that worked in real life!)

Jordi, a trusty, if somewhat dim-witted grog, looks down on the maga

There be no leader here. Or all leaders. They lost me. You want to see a wizard?

(Pushing this a little forward, don't count on me much, let anyone feel to take up jordi)

Pralix smiles patiently.

"Any mage will do for now, good man."

Then she turns to shoot another warning glance over her shoulder.

Coincidentally, Carmen is walking up to the gate at that moment. Jordi, find some chambers for our guest and sjow her family to them.
Maga Cata Ex-Miscellanea. Welcome to Andorra. The Redcap you hired is either slow or you tip poorly, for I only just this morning recieved your letter. Seeing the date I came to the gate to leave orders to be on watch for you. Then I was intending to summon the council.
My manners, so sorry.
Salve Sodale. I am Carmen of Flambeau, Pontifex Maxima of Andorra Covenant, filia Archmagus Antonio of the lineage of Delendos, Warden of the Antares Archmagus Pietro of Flambeau, Lady of the Knights of Seneca, student of the School of Julius, and eldest daughter of Golda Simon of the Jewish Seeress of Barcelona.
Now, who are you? Why do you wish to join Andorra? What do you have to offer? What makes you think you are worthy of House Flambeau and why do you wish to become one of the Enlightened? What value do you bring? Have you now or ever been a member of House Diedne? have you ever knowingly or unknowingly conspired with infernal forces? Are you willing to face the Contest of Champions? Are you aware of the conflicts in House Flambeau that have blossomed since 1235? Where were you in 1228?

((What season is this?))

ooc: I assume that Carmen did not fire off all those questions gatling-gun style, but that you all put them in one post to speed up the communication.

Cata breathes calmly trying not to show her anger at that bloody redcap. The delivery time of her letter surely was just one more indicator of the status of House ex Miscellanea.

In Catalan with a recognizable Barcelona accent:
"I'm honored, Pontifex Maxima. I was born in Barcelona, too. My father is Matieu Grony, the Patrician. I am now called Cata the Pralician, filia Pierre ex Miscellanea. I consider myself a student of the school of Vilano. This is my husband Miguel, a master of the beasts, and those are my children."

Why, there is nothing surprising about it! You have an excellent reputation in hermetic circles, haven't you? Plus, Andorra is said to bea covenant in which the true spirit of house Flambeau is being kept alive. The story of Pietro's joining House Flambeau has always impressed me. Since I am interested in finding a sponsor of your House, which place would be better?

ooc: presonality: overconfident meddler

Quite a bit, I dare say. I can see magic and classify it in less than a diameter as good as anyone in the Order. Two of my children are gifted, and one of them old enough to start an apprenticeship. Of course, I have the skills to teach him myself, but I would be honored to find a worthy master for him here. I would even be willing to open the boy's arts myself since, as a Pralician, my knowledge in conserving wild talents is not inconsiderable. My husband will also prove to be a useful addition to Andorra, because all the beasts in the fields and the sky love and follow him since he speaks their tongues.

"I have vanquished in Wizard's War a magus 20 years my senior, and I dare say that I possess the Finesse required of those who follow the school of Vilano."
When she says that her husband sighs: "Not again, my dove. What have you got your wooden servants for?"
"Sorry love", she says, "but I think the Pontifex Maxima deserves a little demonstration."
As she says it, she throws him an apple. He rolls his eyes and places it on his head.
Then she picks a sharpened log the size of her arm from a pocket of her riding dress that could impossibly have contained it, and that she can barely hold in her arms. She tugs her sleeve, and the log suddenly whizzes straight at her husband's head, cleanly shooting off the apple. "Aimed", she explains.

ooc: She's actually uses her enchanted dress to create the effect (less shouting and gesturing needed). Cautious with finesse, Perception 5 + Finesse 5 (she isn't taking any risks, so distance is the longest distance she can pull off that stunt without risking to harm her husband.

"I haven't got any large quantities of silver or vis with me. I spent it all on longevity rituals for Miguel and me."

"Ear of Truth, huh? So read my lips: NO and NO."

"Unknowingly conspired?", she shakes her head. "That's a good one. Would I know if I had unknowlingly conspired with infernal forces? I have no love for the minions of Lucifer and their infernal schemes, and I would never work for or with them."

"Sure. I hope it's not some Diminicato. My battle skills are built to kill and since they bypass magical resistance, I am not good at faking battle."

"Not really, I must admit", she pauses, looking for the right words. "It's been a busy year with the birth of my youngest and the preparations for coming here? I'm sure I'll know before long."

Cata briefly wonders about Carmen's interest in 1228, but decides to answer the question truthfully: "After the Wizard's War with Wolfe ex Bjornaer in Ireland, I was reunited with Miguel" (the looks she throws him bespeaks the warmth of their mutual feelings) "and we travelled throughout Europe, here there, wherever our hearts' desires took us. Of all the years in my life, you have picked the one that is hardest to account for. We settled in England when I realized I was with twins. Have you run out of questions already?," she asks, half-reliefed.

Carmen does tend to come on strong, and rapid fire conversations (and spkeaking statements as questions) is indeed her verbal style. She has a reputation as a pushy broad because of her assertive nature. Cata can probably tell she is trying to unbalance her and test her resolve.
But she will gladly go over the questions again more slowly, and await all of your responses before she continues.
As for the Jewish Seeress of Barcelona, you have heard of her. Minor hedge wizard, some sort of folk witch craft exclusive to Jewish women. Her main claim to fame, rumor has it, is that she maintained several intimate relationships with a few Hermetic magi and member of the Geonim, which helped forge the treaty between them in 1220.
I always have endless questions. My father taught me to be ever skeptical and always wondering. It is the path of Enlightenment, the true Legacy of Flambeau. I still wonder about your motives to join our covenant, but I will let the council handle that. I will say I am intrigued by what you have to offer us. Apprentices? The Masters will love you for that.
As for the Flambeau? I am the only one here at the covenant these days. Not much of a political influence for them, but there are ties of history.
1228 was a Grand Tribunal year. The 1227 regionals for Normandy and Rhine were a mess and spilled into Grand Tribunal. Glad you were not part of it. The 1235 regional of Provencal was also messy, but most are unaware of the secret Castra Sola Conflict. Even I don't quite know, but rumors are groing that Pietro is planning to make a grap for the seat of Primus and reestablish Val-Negra as the Domus Magnus.
Just so you know what you are getting into?
I do question why you think your little trick and good luck make you worthy. There may be more to you than I know? We shall see.
I bring up the Contest of Champions because it was the old style of joining the House. Garus introduced his tournament alternative some decades ago, but there is a growing movement to revive the contests. The old way way to have to defeat seven Flambeau champions in magical combat. The revival idea is for each champion to present a contest of their choosing. Be it combat, a hunt, Certamen, etcetera.
The beauty of this system is that it requires no sponsor. Anyone can make an attempt.
And I still question why you wish to join House Flambeau. Other than we are the best and most prestigeous wizards the world has ever known. 8)
But what is it you hope to gain or accomplish, or what about us attracts your desire?
And what Value do you offer? Not wealth. I mean skill and innovation. You study the works of Villano? In what ways do you employ his theories and what ideas do you have to teach?
Hmmmm....

I am thinking Spring 1226?

I need to correct what Carmen said. She meant that she is the only Flambeau present. Roberto is off on expedition, and Kesara is off visiting Duresca.
It is the very start of Spring 1236. "Stranger Danger" takes place in Winter 1236, so this takes place after that. "City of Brass" takes place in Winter & Spring 1236.
You get the sense that Carmen is very protective of her covenant, and quite proud of her heritage and lineage. Also, as a woman she has had to work twice as hard to obtain the respect she feels she is due. At some point she will mention she is the only maga to be accepted by the Knights of Seneca, her socitas Flambonis.

Cata snorts: "Actually, I am beginning to wonder myself. Games, and Challenges. Magi pointlessly pretending at hurting each other: Very scary. Pah! Is that what mighty House Flambeau has become? I trace my line to Pralix herself, the mighty sorceress that turned her back on frivolous Tytalus to unite Britain in a fight against Damhan-Allaidh. The Flambeau she fought were adverseries both gallant and deadly, true heroes. I am not here to play games. Has your House forsaken the sword and taken up the tourney lance like the lesser sons of petty barons? Is the House's martial spirit nothing but a pale ghost? Give me a giant to slay or a marched traitor to bring to justice, but spare me your games.
I am hoping to join a House of glorious warriors, to match their deeds and earn a place in their tales. I want true glory: I want to slay magical beasts and I want to bring the choice of joining or dying to hedge wizards to strengthen the order, like Flambeau the Founder did! I..."

Her husband touches her arm softly to interrupt her tirade.

"...uh, I, I guess I will see."

She says, her cheeks blazing red.

I admire your passion, my House could use more of that. Still, much to learn you still have. Glory is in the Cause, not the Conflict., and Combat is a tool of Negotiation. There is a deeper lesson in the words "Join or Die".
And you misunderstand the Contest. It is, well you will see. Yes?
Come with me to the Library to meet Master Vocis. Then we meet with the council.

Cata looks at Miguel who says: "Off you go, dove. I'll manage. Just don't stay too long. After all, most off those crates are your stuff!"

Cata plants a kiss on his cheek and obediently follows Carmen towards the library. There would be much for her to reply to Carmen, but she decides not to get into a fight with the head of Andorra, ... yet.

At this point, a younger magus walks by, flushed as if with honest toil.

Ah, Pontifex; I was just coming to see you. I have completed your project; if you'd care to stop by the forge later I can hand it over to you. I think you'll be pleased with it; I certainly enjoyed making it.

And I see we have a new guest! Welcome, Maga - Antoine of Verditius, not yet of Andorra, but hopefully soon. Are you just passing through, or staying longer?

Pontifex, do you happen to know where I might find Master Vocis, or Mistress Arachne? I was hoping to discuss how else I could lend my talents, and we had agreed to meet early this season.

((Oh, I'm also owed some XP. I have 2 unassigned from Summer '35, and (assuming no excitement in Winter '36) 2 from Carmen's carpet. The first 2 can go to Creo from my CrIm season; then 1 Rego (levelling it to 6), and 1 to Herbam. I'll edit sheets later))