Character Creation for Plot_Device (OOC)

I generally like the idea of the player controlling both magus and familiar together to represent the idea of the closeness familiar bond. Familiar's are also a pretty big deal, so I think it makes sense to generally keep them off limits from others unless we otherwise agree on something.

I can go either way. I think the idea is that if you want an extension of your will, then you take a lower-power familiar. If you want a really powerful one, you don't get as much control. That's not unreasonable, and it allows for both options of control.

1 Like

Updated (grog level):

Kiefskala the Linnorm

Magic Might: 5 (Animal) [9 before size]
Characteristics: Int 0, Per 0, Pre +1, Com –2, Str +8, Sta +3, Dex +2, Qik -2
Size: +4
Confidence Score: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws: Magic Animal; Variable Power (x2), Puissant Brawl, Tough; Essential Flaw (avaricious, major), Magical Friend, No Hands

Magical Qualities and Inferiorities: Greater Power; Gift of Speech, Improved Soak (x10), Personal Power (x2), Acclimation Prone, Temporary Might, Susceptible to Deprivation

Personality Traits: Avaricious* +6, Fierce +4, Vindictive +4

Combat:
Constriction: Init –2, Attack +14, Defense +6, Damage n/a
Large Teeth: Init –2, Attack +14, Defense +6, Damage +11

Soak: +21

Fatigue Levels: OK, 0/0, 0/0, –2, –4, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: –1 (1–10), –3 (11–20), –5 (21–30), Incapacitated (31–40), Dead (41+)

Abilities: Awareness 5 (Alertness), Brawl 6+2 (Constriction), Hunt 3 (Deer), Native Language: High German 5 (Swiss), Swim 2 (Speed), Survival 3 (Mountains), Stealth 3 (Hide)

Powers:

Constriction (non-magical): The linnorm can only use this attack on a victim of Size +3 or less. Constriction is based on the grappling rules (see Non-Lethal Combat, ArM5, page 174). As long as the linnorm maintains the grapple, its opponent is considered deprived of air (see ArM5, page 180). The victim must make a Stamina check every five rounds, or suffer the normal effects of deprivation. Once the serpent has successfully grappled an opponent (and begun constricting), on subsequent rounds it can continue constricting and still attack with its bite. These attacks may be directed at the grappled victim (in which case the Grapple Strength adds to the Attack Total), or at another opponent. The serpent can usually only constrict a single creature at a time.

Poisonous Breath, 0 points, Init –3, Auram, Penetration 10
The linnorm can breathe a cloud of black smoke five paces across that affects victims with a contact poison (Ease Factor 9, inflicts an Incapacitating wound).
CrAu 30 (Base 15, +1 Touch, +2 Group)
Greater Power (30 levels, -3 Might cost)
Variable Power +1 magnitude (1 per 5 Might): +1 Wound severity

Venomous Bite, 0 points, Init n/a, Aquam, Penetration 11
The bite of the linnorm injects a deadly poison into its prey (Ease Factor 9, inflicts a Heavy wound).
CrAq 30 (Base 10, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 continuous effect)
Personal Power x2 (30 levels, –4 Might cost)
Variable Power +1 magnitude (1 per 5 Might): +1 Wound Severity

Vis: 2 Perdo in fangs

Appearance: The linnorm is a huge, bat-winged snake about 45 feet long and as thick as a tree. It has cat-like eyes that shine through the darkness. It's thick, overlapping scales are a pale, ashen green.

Looks good overall. A few details stand out to me as needing refinement.

Reading its description, I'm not sure that Magical Monster is an appropriate flaw for a familiar. The flaw specifically says that "The character is a magical being that has no strong connection to human society, such as a person who looks after it or a community that accords it special respect."

As a familiar, Kiefskala has a person who looks after it (Wolfgang), and a community that accords it special respect (the covenant).

On the other hand, Magical Friend (minor social flaw) specifically says that "it is also particularly appropriate for Hermetic familiars or any characters with nonhuman forms that are strongly associated with someone at a covenant." This looks like a more appropriate flaw.

As a Magical Animal, Kiefskala should also have the No Hands flaw for free (but not Mute since it is removed by Gift of Speech).

From what I understand, the Penetration ability can only be purchased using xp from mastery points in their powers, unless the character has an appropriate virtue (see the paragraph above the table for Starting Experience on RoP:M p.34).

Am I correct in assuming you are designing Kiefskala as a Summer magical being? If so, there might be a few xp missing, plus what was invested in Penetration. That's a good thing, for Kiefskala needs to spend some of that xp in language. Gift of Speech allows him to speak, but he still needs to have a score in the languages he uses.

RoP:M p.75 describes optional rules for the Constriction attack and states that a dragon can use it against a victim whose Size is less than its own. So Kiefskala would only be able to use it on a victim of Size +3 or less, not +5.

Ok. Will adjust. I grabbed constriction from elephant eating serpent, didn't know it was in RoP:M, other changes make sense from baseline lindwurm.

Dagny

Shield Grog to Wolfgang Weiß

Stats

Characteristics
Int 0, Per -2, Str +2, Sta +3, Pre -1, Com -2, Dex +3, Qik -1

Virtues & Flaws
Turb Trained, Large, Tough
Sleep Disorder, Poor Sense of Direction, Busybody

Personality Traits
Loyal +3, Brave +3, Independent +2

Abilities
Animal Handling (Horses) 1
Area Lore: Scandinavia (Campsites) 1
Area Lore: Germany (Towns) 1
Awareness (Alertness) 5
Brawl (Punching) 1
Craft: Blacksmith (Repairs) 1
Craft: Swordsmith (Longswords) 5
Craft: Armorer (Chainmail) 4
Folk Ken (Townsfolk) 1
Language: High German (Bavarian) 5
Language: Latin (Hermetic Usage) 4
Ride (Staying In The Saddle) 1
Single Weapon (Longswords) 5
Survival (Mountains) 2

Background

Dagny was born in the city of Augsburg, daughter of a swordsmith. Her father had no sons, so he taught her the trade, but as she got older, and skilled enough to be named journeyman, she found that it wasn't an option, even though her skills surpassed any of her peers. The only way for her to become a craftsman was to "sponsor" a man, and do work under his name, which she found distasteful for a number of reasons. Refusing to get married just so she could practice her trade, she took to the roads, hoping to find a way to settle down and practice her craft.

She got lost often, and had dangerous encounters, but her hammer and her broad shoulders always proved protection enough. But while she could find work at simple labor, she found it impossible to start a smithy, or find work in one.

Increasingly desperate, she eventually sought employment with the strange people who wore robes and lived apart from everyone, in a manor house called Fengheld. Due to her reaction to the Gift, and poor social skills, she wasn't clear about her trade, but she was clearly big and strong, so the covenant recruited Dagny as a grog, training her in the sword. She didn't fit in well, though, and eventually she was sent to Durenmar, where she met a tiny magus named Wolfgang. She was at his side for the short-lived war in the northern reaches of Norway, and trapped with him for an entire winter, during which time they became good friends. She still finds him strange, but they've saved each others' lives several times each, and their bond is solid.

He was the first magus to pay enough attention to her, as a person, to learn that she was actually a smith, not just a big strong warrior; and he's promised her a chance, to put her real talents to good use, which she is eager for.

Appearance

A plain but voluptuous woman, well over 2 paces tall, with long pale-blond hair and ice-blue eyes. Though Dagny towers over many people, especially the diminutive magus she protects, she is a gentle soul, although she doesn't back down from anyone, sometimes not even when she should. She is reserved, even shy, and gets tongue-tied around people she doesn't know, but she is confident in her abilities as a warrior and a smith, and she is brave enough to go into battle against giants (which she has done) armed only with a spear and a shield.

Advancement Log

1205: (to be determined)

Notes and details

Dagny and Gwyneth are both very close with Wolfgang, and to outward appearances the three of them sometimes appear too intimate, but this is a simple bond of friendship they share from their years spent together in various wild places. In fact, the two women are a couple, and while Wolfgang doesn't understand it, and it makes him a bit uncomfortable, he is very fond of both of them, in a platonic way, and happy to provide them with cover for their unconventional relationship.

Combat stats

Equipment: Longsword, Heater Shield, Full Chainmail, Smithing Tools, Hardtack, Cheese, Waterskin

Gwyneth

Shield Grog to Wolfgang Weiß

Stats

Characteristics
Int 0, Per +1, Str +2, Sta +1, Pre -1, Com -2, Dex +2, Qik +2

Virtues & Flaws
Custos, Second Sight, Magic Sensitivity
Magical Fascination, Nocturnal, Fragile Constitution

Personality Traits
Loyal +3, Brave +1, Curious +2

Abilities
Area Lore: Scandinavia (Geography) 3
Area Lore: England (Geography) 1
Awareness (Alertness) 3
Charm (First Impressions) 1
Craft: Bowyer (Longbow) 5
Craft: Fletcher (Broadheads) 2
Folk Ken (Townsfolk) 1
Language: English (West Midland) 5
Language: Latin (Hermetic Usage) 4
Magic Sensitivity (Auras) 3
Ride (Staying In The Saddle) 1
Second Sight (Invisible Things) 3
Single Weapon (Longswords) 3
Bows (Longbow) 5
Survival (Forests) 2

Background

Gwyneth was born in the traveling covenant of Semitae, daughter of the turb captain. She was raised to fulfill two roles – an archer in defense of the covenant, and a crafter in times of peace, creating the equipment she and others wielded. As she grew up, the magi discovered that she had remarkable magical abilities, and there were high hopes that she had the gift, but it turned out that she didn't. For a while, one of the magi there studied her, wondering if some strange effect of traveling through auras had resulted in changes to her nature, but he discovered nothing. She's always been very curious about her abilities, and where they came from, and about the nature of magic itself, but she was surrounded by mysterious Criamon and secretive Verditius, so there were no magi willing to answer her questions.

Eventually, the legendary Hugh of Flambeau asked to borrow a few of Semitae's excellent archery-trained grogs, and after some unknown renumeration, he brought a few of them to Durenmar, to join the ill-fated Muspelli war, alongside a tiny magus named Wolfgang. She was at his side, and trapped with him for an entire winter, during which time they became good friends. She still finds him strange, but they've saved each others' lives several times each, and their bond is solid.

He was the first magus to be patient enough with her to answer all her questions about magic; and he's promised her that when they settle down in a covenant, he will make sure she is taught to read, and allowed to spend her free time in the library, which she is very excited about.

Appearance

A tall, lean, athletic woman, with long flame-red hair and deep green eyes. She is freckled, and pretty, but has a very intense energy, full of questions, and has a tendency to talk too quickly, and sometimes forget her manners, which puts people off.

Advancement Log

1205: (to be determined)

Notes and details

Dagny and Gwyneth are both very close with Wolfgang, and to outward appearances the three of them sometimes appear too intimate, but this is a simple bond of friendship they share from their years spent together in various wild places. In fact, the two women are a couple, and while Wolfgang doesn't understand it, and it makes him a bit uncomfortable, he is very fond of both of them, in a platonic way, and happy to provide them with cover for their unconventional relationship.

Combat stats

Equipment: Longbow, 20 arrows, Longsword, Heater Shield, Full Chainmail, Bowyer/Fletcher Tools, Hardtack, Cheese, Waterskin

Finally posted grogs above.

I know Visions is a story flaw, but it fits the character, and it's unique in that her visions can really trigger stories for anyone, depending on what she sees. But I will change it if people want me to.

I am not completely against it. I will note, however, that with so many main characters (magi but also companions) around the covenant, having triggers for stories is not necessary. There are a number of possible alternatives in Grogs that could fit the bill, such as Hallucinations, Magical Fascination, (Realm) Stigmatic, Susceptible to Warping, or Warped by Magic.

I like your grogs, they remind me of the shield maidens in Beforeigners.

It's mostly actually that I just like the idea of her having visions, without them necessarily being the trigger for stories. She does have one of those (Magical Fascination).

I may just figure out something more mundane.

Sorry for entering on this discussion at this point in time.

I wouldn't say that finding Bonisagus cave seems like a quest for any Path. For a path related to caves, it could be better to change that to "find a significantly mystical cave", and maybe that cave would be the ritual place for the 2nd Step.

Large text, possibly not really relevant

Bonisagus cave has the problem that it has mythical, magical, hermetic and historical significance, and many magi have searched for the cave since the beginning of the Order, without success. To me, that means that most of them were looking at entirely the wrong place (for example, Black Forest instead of Alps) and that the difficulty is very high. It seems weird that a relatively young magus could find it by spending some seasons in the woods.

About finding the cave itself: Ancient Magic suggests Int+Area Lore against EF 18 to find the lost city of Endor (21 if you are away from the place, searching through maps and notes).

This would make finding Bonisagus cave quite hard, but again, magi have been looking for his cave since the beginning of the Order, without success, so maybe 18 is reasonable. Also, many magi probably didn't had the correct Nature Lore (raising the EF by 3 or even 6 points by depending on a tangentialy related Lore, for example).

An EF of 18 means that a character with Int +2 and Nature Lore 4 (e.g.) would take about 2 years on average, but not likely more than 5 years. On one hand this doesn't make for great gaming experience, IMHO. On the other, I think that spending 5 years to find Bonisagus cave is a pretty good deal for any hermetic magus, so from a narrative point of view I'd say 5 years is too little.

Overall, finding Bonisagus cave is an entirely different kind of adventure, In my opinion. I don't see a problem if that is Wolfgang goal, but I wouldn't expect that to be related to a Path.

Also, I think your advancement on Mountain Lore is a bit fast. According to GotF p.37 the Source Quality for learning is the aura in which you spend most of the time. I find it hard to believe that through Spring 1204 you kept traveling mostly within an area with aura 5. Maybe settle for that season for time enough to commune, or slow down the progress of Mountain Lore?

Anyway, I like Wolfgang. Seems like a reasonable Flambeau (which is more than we can say about the other Flambeau).

No comment on the saltiness directed at the other Flambeau, I think that player has lost interest anyway.

Re the aura, I don't think it's particularly farfetched to say in the deep wilds of the alps he found an aura of 5 or greater, since he was seeking out the strongest aura he could find, because he was looking for linnorms. Also, I'm assuming he didn't spend the entire season there, but "most of his time" meaning more than half the season, but less than the whole season. (and in his subsequent season, he'd found the place already so could head back there). Nobody seemed to mind before, but I don't mind changing it if it bothers you a lot.

Re the cave, I don't have strong feelings about this, it's just "what I thought of". If someone has a better idea for the Path, it's relatively easy to say he met another magus whose life goal was to find Bonisagus' cave, and that's what made him aware of Forest Lore/Mountain Lore and communing with the genius loci; and he will end up with another quest to begin the path. That said, as a player what I want him to eventually gain from his path as the Second Fruit is Flexible Formulaic Magic; I don't have any strong ideas for the other Fruits, Sacrifices, Quests.

1 Like

I was talking about house Flambeau as a whole, not about the other Flambeau from the saga. Sorry for the confusion. A little attempt at a joke gone wrong.

Ahhhh, I get it. [All] the other Flambeau. In that case, yeah, you're right, I appreciate the thought.

I thought of something new/different for Path, posting to see what people think.

[Mountain] Path of Attunement

The magus walking this path helps the genius loci to grow stronger, and in doing so becomes more closely linked to the magic realm, gaining more precise control over their magic but also making their magic riskier.

First Quest: Develop a spell to increase the strength of an aura over a wide area, and use it to increase the strength of the genius loci's aura by one.
First Sacrifice: Weird Magic
First Fruit: Harnessed Magic
Second Quest: ??? (This is more major so probably should be determined by someone else.)
Second Sacrifice: Twilight Prone
Second Fruit: Flexible Formulaic Magic

The aura-increasing spells from RoP:M are somewhat controversial, so I'm not sure we will be using them.

I can offer some ideas for appropriate quests:

• Cast a powerful ritual (level 50 or above) within the aura, by yourself (1st)
  • Spend a year protecting the genius loci's domain from encroachment from mundane/faerie/infernal influences (1st, maybe 2nd)
  • Convince a powerful magical creature to move permanently into the domain of the genius loci (2nd)

I like 1 and 3. I didn't know there was controversy around the aura increase spells, I thought the added risk from having to roll on that table (and the uncertainty of success) would be a good thing to make that quest less trivial. But ritual over level 50 is tough too.

Replaced Visions. Ok to post these two to the Grogs thread?

Go ahead! :smiley: