Character Creation for Red-Shadow-Claws

Lucky rolls! :slight_smile:

It's the first time I've rolled an 8 three times in a row. For the third time, i even switched die, because it was so strange.

Sorry for the delay, but here's Celeste's final year before arriving in Spring 1206

Spring 1205

It was spring again, and the world is once again in bloom. But her mother’s ghost’s moaning has been signing a different tune at winter’s end. It sung of terrible storm to come, and of the need to prepare for it.

Even before she knew her mother was a witch, she had learned to heed her mother’s advice, but with Spring coming, she was unsure if it was metaphorical storm, or an actual one, but she decided to pursue one over the other. And so, she headed to the library to find the Root of Auram, and began reading it. She knew Lencor was growing impatient, but she had a long talk with him, and explained that she knew the day of binding him would be close, but she wanted to deepen their bon otherwise, before doing it, and that she enjoyed their discussions on whatever subject she was reading.

At the end of Spring, she got a letter from Quintus Clusius of Jerbiton, inviting her to join his new covenant, and citing some shared interests between his pater and Lambert. She discussed it at length with Alba, and they resolved to work out a combined response.

Reading: Auram Root L6Q21

Summer 1205

Through summer they She and Alba, in between their respective studies, worked on deciding on their response to the letter. But if she were to move there, she figured that a new covenant might be short on some subjects, and so, she decided to work on her Magic Theory. She already began to imagine what her Talisman might be, and to realize it, she needed to improve her knowledge of magic, so she could include all the components she figured she’d need.

At the end of Summer, she got an invite to Durenmar from Lamberto, the dwarf Bonisagus, saying he has some information he’d be happy to share. She was hesitant to trust him, but some information could come in handy, and it would bring her closer to Tugurium, so she sent back a message she’ll be along, and then bade farewell to Irencillia once more, saying that she will provide a service for this half year, and of course, informed Alba of her plans for Autumn, but not of the whole reasons behind them.

Reading: Magic Theory Summa L5Q15

Autumn 1205

As they made their way to Durenmar, Lencor suggested they go through the Swabian forest. While Celeste was Gently Gifted, Alba and Lencor, were both quite off putting to mundanes, so it felt better to go through the forest than through the trodden paths. And there, they came across a Faerie Regio. Alba wanted to explore it, and Celeste saw how enthusiastic she became, and decided to go with her.
The place was just teeming with plant life, of exotic forms and shapes, and formed a massive labyrinth. If not for Alba, Celeste knew that she would likely get lost in such a place, as she was ill equipped for it, even with the spells that Alba has taught her. Though they did provide her with some sense of ableness.

After finding their way to the center of the labyrinth, they found a faerie oak of massive proportions in the middle, and it proved quite chatty. They talked to it, and managed to charm him with their stories, and having entertained it for 3 nights, it relented in letting them go, but not before giving them each a token of gratitude for their entertainment.

Adventure: 5 xp in Herbam, 3 xp in Charm, 1 pawn of Herbam Faerie Vis, and an Opal of Virtue.

Winter 1205

Winter in Durenmar, cooped up in the Bonisagus Domus Magna, with Alba and the dwarf Lamberto. It was enough to make Celeste irritable, and while she tried to not let it show, she didn’t always succeed. It wasn't their fault, at least when it comes to Alba. She still suspected Lamberto had a hand in the murder, possibly, but to accuse him now would be worse than futile. And she couldn't share her suspicions with Alba, since she needed to resolve this herself.

But she did get some things done during the winter. She found a Bonisagus who was willing to have his apprentice spend a season to enrich the Opal of Virtue, for a fee of the Faerie Herbam Vis, which Celeste was happy to pay. Knowing the magical properties of Opal, she wanted to incorporate it into her future Talisman, and while she didn’t have enough knowledge to understand what the Enrichment process did, she thought it would be nice to investigate that later. Unfortunately, it seems that due to her Parma, it doesn’t do anything for her, but it would be a nice curio to add to her Talisman anyway.

She asked to make use of the free labs, but lacking much in the way of Vis, she negotiated that she would research an original spell, and would submit a copy to the Durenmar library.

There were several spells that she wanted to try her hand at, but eventually, she settled on one that would be both original, and that no Bonisagus could duplicate. When she realized that her planned spell was a bit out of her ability to research, she decide to try and experiment with it, so she can make it in one season. They got their response from Turugrim that they’re welcome to settle there, and she wanted to get thee in Spring. As a side benefit of her experimentation, she got some insight into Mentem as well.

But the research wasn’t the main reason to stay in Durenmar. And throughout the Winter she had some conversations with Lamberto. In which he told her tales about the history of the Order, when the fledgling Order faced many Hedge Magicians, and how they were hunted down and forced to either join or die. He stressed that since many of them were non-Christians, their remains were not given ‘proper’ burial, and how some enterprising magi used that to try and glean information from their ghosts, and that in the early days of the Order, one such ‘fertile’ place was the Alps region. When she revealed that she’s moving to Tugurium, he was delighted, and asked her to find such a ghost, and see if she can extract any valuable magical information from it, and if she does, that she share it with him. In return, he gave her a scroll with some extra tales, to read when she had the time.

Research: Bargain of the Damaged Ghost (PeMe20), 1 xp in Perdo, Magic Theory 1, Experimentation result: Raise one Art to the next rank. (Mentem chosen). Tractatus (Disciples of the Worm Lore Q6)

Bargain of the Damaged Ghost
PeMe20
R: Eye, D: Bargain/Mom, T: Ind
Like all spells of Bargain Duration, this spell is cast immediately after the caster strikes a bargain with a ghost, and only takes effect if the target breaks his part of the bargain. If it should come to pass that the target of this spell breaks the agreement within a year of the date when the deal was made, the ghost will lose 10 points of Might.
(Base general, +3 Bargain)

Also, need a reply to my character thread, since am only allowed 5 consecutive posts

Reply :smiley:

xD Do you mean you other character thread? The main one? Try now :slight_smile: I've posted one and I've started the deleting process. Maybe now it lets you to post more :wink:

1 Like

In Celeste's stats topic, remember that current stats should be in the first post. Right now you have those at Gauntlet in the first, and then we have to scroll down and search to find the current stats.

I want to avoid having to hunt down the current stats. I also want all character stats' topics to be structured the same way.

Thanks!

1 Like

Bringing it here:

Don't forget that if your purpose is to use it in your Talisman (and gain the benefit of the virtue) you must enrich the item of virtue yourself.

Why not retcon the amount of vis? At least to have enough to bind Lencor down the road?
Celeste did a sizeable amount of exploration, this could result in a reasonable harvest.

Other than that, maybe she receives a parting gift from... whoever? Items, books, spells? If books or spells this is a boon to the covenant as much as for Celeste, so maybe Tugurium could offer her some compensation?

EDIT: in light of my last comment on the Table Talk topic.

• If Ferra dissolves Collem and moves away, maybe she leaves some inheritance to Celeste, who while not being an apprentice was the last person to learn from her? This could account for a sudden influx of vis/items/books. Ferra did not have any official apprentice, according to TtA, so there's no one else to inherit anyway. Celeste might be a good candidate in the eyes of an old Bonisagus.
  • If we go with Collem as is (entering a second spring and walking towards the point described on the book for 1220), maybe Celeste did gain a few pawns (retconed in her previous explorations), but those are gifted to Ferra to help her with the second spring in exchange for Collem Leonis approving of us joining Rhine (and Celeste being properly compensated either by Tugurium upon joining or by Ferra in a couple of seasons).

These are just random toughts, for your appreciation.

But it maches the established timeline. Imagine it: we are at the Tribunal, first order of business is to vote on Ferra's twilight (it was seven years since she was last seen, ), she suddenly enters the Forum of Hermes and says "no one go declaring me on Final Twilight before it's my time, you hear it!?!?"

And after the brief commotion, she votes for us. Maybe. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My proposal for a companion to Alba

Renard
Characteristics: Int 0, Per 0, Pre +2, Com +2, Str 0, Sta 0, Dex +1, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 25 (25), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 158 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: Satyr Blood (Com and Pre Totals: +1 with sexually compatible characters), Venus' Blessing (Bonus: +3 Com and Pre with sexually compatible characters), Ways of the Town, Well-Traveled (50/50), Student of Faerie (Faerie Lore: +2), Privileged Upbringing (50/50), Puissant Charm, Puissant Folk Ken, Wanderer
Flaws: Curse of Venus, Lecherous, Optimistic (Major), Fish Out of Water (Towns), Faerie Stigmatic, Infamous
Reputations: Lecherous 4
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +4, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +5, Defense +4, Damage +0
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +5, Defense +3, Damage +3
Soak: 0
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: High German 5 (storytelling), Low German 4 (storytelling), Bargain 2 (employment), Carouse 4 (staying sober), Brawl 4 (Dagger), Folk Ken 4+2 (nobles), Guile 4 (fast talk), Intrigue 4 (rumormongering), Awareness 4 (alertness), Charm 4+2 (first impressions), Athletics 3 (running)
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

At a glance there seems to be too many virtues there. And you can't have both Venus' Blessing and Venus' Curse, I'd say.

I'd say that the number is good :open_mouth: He mixed both virtues and flaws and its hard to see them :stuck_out_tongue:

Technically should be ok... while Blessing only mentions attraction, the Curse mentions getting crushes from and loving innappropiate persons. So they cover different types of relations.

But we should look close to their interactions... the Curse should stop Blessing applying in a lot of situations too, since it removes a lot of situations where Blessing could apply... if you pick the modifiers of boths (only sexually compatible on one hand, and only innappropiate/undesirable persons on the other) means that the +3 bonus will only apply with innappropiate/undesirable sexually compatible persons (the rest doesn't care, since they all find him shallow and vain, even if he is attractive).

What avoids Renard to take advantage from Alba? From his perspective she should just be an unaware and gullible young female that also, to make things worse (due to the Gift), deserves to be taken advantage of. He already seems to have a reputation to do that with other women.

These are all virtues, totalling 10 points, no?

Oh, right, sorry. I'm still with the 4th edition mindset that companions should have 7 points, not 10. My bad!
:innocent:

1 Like

They are not opposite sides of the same thing:

VENUS’ BLESSING
Minor, General
People are often attracted to you. You get +3 on Communication and Presence rolls with sexually compatible characters in appropriate situations. At times you can put this to good use. At other times it’s an annoyance.

CURSE OF VENUS
Major, Story
You are very attractive to people whom you do not wish to attract. People you detest keep getting crushes on you, and will not be dissuaded. Furthermore, you tend to fall in love with inappropriate people, and in inappropriate circumstances. Those people you are interested in tend to think you are vain and shallow.

But if you decide they can't be combined, I will choose naother Story Flaw.

That.

The fact that one has a reputation, doesn't mean one lives up to his reputation. Or, at least, not all the time...

And I'll change Curse of Venus, to one of the following:
Black Sheep - If we want him to have a falling out with his mundane family
Dependant - If we want to play up his lecherous ways, and have him serve as a father to one, or more, children.
Enemies - To represent those who think themselves wronged by his lecherous ways (be their claims right or false)

I can literally see "Lecherous" into the flaw list xD Thats an answer that can work in-game, but not here :stuck_out_tongue:
And "not all the time" just means "today not, tomorrow yes" xD

With a Reputation 4, he is known by nearly everybody, so Enemies sound good.

Black Sheep can also work well imho, since that one also explains a little how he obtained his studies :slight_smile:
But having 2 bad reputations could be too much.

Btw, you need to specify which Personality Flaw its the Major one.

Specified, it's actually Optimistic.

Yes, he likes being lecherous, but what can he do? Women just 'throw' themselves at him... It's his satyr blood, is how he rationalizes it.

Have to wonder...

What does Renard bring to the magi that will justify all the trouble his lecherous ways will potentially cause them, both internally and in their relations with mundanes?

What makes him willing to put up with magi, who will undoubtedly try to stiffle his womanizing and partying?

He knows his charms have a certain effect on women, and while he does, sometimes, takes advantage of it, he has created some enemies, who dislike him, or his ways. So having a safe place to go to when he's worn his welcome, would be a good change of pace for him.
While I haven't gone into his background, I think his Satyr father (albeit he was raised in a privileged human society, and his real fatherhood was concealed from his father (so maybe Dark Secret could be a possible Story Flaw)., might have set him on a course to find and protect this faerie maga.
That's also why I took Lecherous as a Minor Flaw, so it's not an overpowering thing, and he can tone it back.

And he brings to the table a social capability, in towns, that none of the mages can throw around. He got +11 to Charm, and +9 to Intrigue, without his Satyr nature and Venus' Blessing. Which means if he is trying to seduce someone who's sexually compatible, in town, he'll have a +15.

Looks like a guy loved by women and hated by men.

Personally I'm not a great fan of Satyr Blood + Venus' Blessing + Lecherous because to me it's a character who screams "anyone who moves (and some people who don't) are fair game". A lot of that depends on how the character is portrayed, of course, and in this case Lecherous is minor, so... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ways of the Town + Fish out of Water (Towns) puts some restriction on the kind of stories were he can be effective, but between Alba, Clusius and Regulus this should not be much of a problem. He can offer much needed support for all of them.

Student of Faerie, but no Faerie Lore?

Fear of being transformed into a toad? =9

Renard could come from one of the noble families around, including the Telsberg if you want. By the way, in my spreadsheet the Telsbergs range from 33 to 40 years old, so Renard could be one of Otto's grandsons if I push things around a bit or if he gets a couple of years younger.

To me Dark Secret seems a good option only if he stands to inherit, or if his father would be very inclined to take drastic measures after learning the truth, or both. Black Sheep and Enemies also look nice. I think it depends on the type of trouble you want him to get into.

There is a flaw for this exact thing (in Societates, at the Jerbiton section iirc)... maybe it could work with the concept and could explain very easy that reputation if Itzhak prefer to play it as its an unfair blaming.

Sounds interesting... and would explain why Renard know about Tugurium.