Character Creation for StephenFleetwood (OOC)

Quickness is positive. Put presence up to 0?

Otherwise is it okay to do post gauntlet advancement

Still missing a few things, like spells, wizard's sigil and personality traits. The character's stats should be finalized before we start on post-Gauntlet advancement.

I'd also like to hear what the others think of the character.

Fair enough. Will do spells tomorrow.

As for a sigil, I was thinking of perfect, geometric spiderweb patterns through his spells.

Personality traits:

Ambitious +3 (or what a major flaw gives)
Curious +2
Clingy +2

Looks pretty good to me. I'd point out that a low communication can be wordy too, if you want to get back some points. I worry about anyone with a negative stamina, but I suppose it's not right that all magi ever made should have a positive one.

Negative stamina is part of the concept of being weak and spindly. I know it sucks, however.

So am I good to put up the spells then do some post gauntlet advancement? I am looking forward to writing the little stories

Name Te Fo Level
True test of the injured brute cr an 20
Ward against the beasts of legend re an 10
Bind fast re an(he) 5
Circle of beast warding re an 5
Purification of festering wounds cr co 20
Petrenatural growth and shrinking mu co 15
Wizard's leap re co 15
Sprouting out of season cr co 20
Acorns for amusement re he 5
The mended tear re he 5

Things look good to me overall. I would say make sure your spells have descriptions or at the very least a citation to where you grabbed it as you continue ahead here. If you have questions about the Post-Gauntlet advancement at all, feel free to ask.

I'll put the references on. I took them all from the grand grimoir

The Grand Grimoire includes some questionable spells (from books which were less rigorous about the use of the guidelines), so make sure to include the Grimoire's reference to the original book, not simply the reference to the Grimoire.

You also have several typos in the spell names...

Yeah, sorry.I have gone back and fixed it. Going to edit previous mistakes, too.

The Grand Grimoire includes some questionable spells (from books which were less rigorous about the use of the guidelines), so make sure to include the Grimoire's reference to the original book

I assumed published materials would be right. Silly me.

We had a discussion about the different sourcebooks in the Saga Discussion topic. See this post for the result.

Name Te Fo Level Reference
True rest of the injured brute cr an 20 ARM 117
Ward against the beasts of legend re an 10 ARM 120
Bind fast re an(he) 5 Magi of hermes 100
Circle of beast warding re an 5 ARM 120
Purification of festering wounds cr co 20 ARM 129
Preternatural growth and shrinking mu co 15 ARM 131
Wizard's leap re co 15 HoH:S 36
Sprouting out of season cr he 20 Cov:79
Acorns for amusement re he 5 Tales of mythic europe 55
The mended tear re he 5 Magi of hermes 58

If you want me to re choose the 15 levels of spells outside of the core books, then I am happy to.

The only two which are (in my opinion) questionables are Bind Fast and Acorns for Amusement.

Bind Fast uses T:Group, with the text implying that the spell affects the clothes a group of individuals. This seems like a slightly improper use of T:Group. Since the spell is ReAn(He), this sould affect up to 10 items of clothes forming a group (such as the items of clothing worn by a simple person, or of 2-3 people standing very close to one another), not the clothes of a group of people.

Acorns for Amusement is basically the same as Wielding the Invisible Sling but using a piece of wood instead of a stone (and so not needing an added magnitude for stone vs dirt). The problem here is that it is allowed to deal a lot more damage by saying it can fling a very large piece of wood (up to "a pace long, wide, and deep") for +10 damage. But as we can see in Unseen Porter (ArM5 p.156), the heavier an object moved by Rego is, the slower it gets. So a large log would move quite slowly and not be able to deal +10 damage in combat, as it would just bump the target instead of striking it a hard blow (the target would also be able to easily dodge it). I am fine with the spell dealing up to +4 damage (using sharp arrow-like sticks), but no more. Otherwise the spell is unbalanced.

Spring

Good news! I have finished my apprenticeship and am finally a fully respected magus. Well, however it is not quite so simple, of course. Like almost everything in life, the magi have a hierarchy of importance and as a newly gauntleted magus I appear to be at the bottom of the ladder and looking at a few decades of climbing.

Even given this lofty freedom, almost unequalled in all of Christendom, I have some duties still. I know Sigmundus wants to make some progress on his own quest for immortality and is hoping that I will keep working with him on the topic. As such, he has asked me to keep a list of my doings as a seeker and to keep this diary, write up the relevant parts and send them to him and my hermetic siblings. I can, apparently, expect the same back from my hermetic family.

However, diary, I expect the initial log book shall be less than interesting to my Pater. I have become a magi of the order, yes, but the time at tribunal has shown me that I am by no means a great magi yet. One day I shall be! I refuse to continue being this poor excuse of a wizard, so at the tribunal I went looking for someone who would take me in as a Peregrinator while I read a little, and learn some.

The covenant of Dankmar seems a reasonable choice. It is old enough to have copies of the roots of the arts I am seeking, but it has old enough magi to not need them. I spoke to one of the people there, and they said for some work on their behalf, I would be welcome for a while. As such, I am travelling there.

Diary:

Dankmar is not what I expected. My friend Spinnerbeine says I should be wary of the fae here, and I am likely to believe him. It is a foreboding and dark seeming covenant. Still, it has the books I am looking for, and as such I settled in to read. Unfortunately A world in flux the primer on Muto I am reading seems to be adequate as a primer, but not in any way exceptional. Such is life. However, I do find it impossible to ignore the fae around me and the pacts with the dark faeries. I must concentrate on my studies.

(reading a primer on muto L5Q15)

Summer:

After using their library for a season, I started to get some rather unsubtle hints from my gracious hosts about how it would be customary to provide some benefit to them in exchange for their hospitality. After some thought, I have opted and been accepted to open a length of rope made of silk, hemp and silver for them, making it available for enchantment. It would seem the nature of my houseā€™s outer mystery is a somewhat poorly kept secret as no offer of the vis this would usually take was made, but no matter. It is a thing I am capable of, easily enough.

In other news, one of the custos of the covenant has noticed my unique heritage and keeps asking me unfortunate and prying questions. This seems like a place which should be thick with the lore of the faerie realm, and yet somehow they seem to have lost it, or the will to seek it fully. After some listless questions I was able to deflect the issue at hand and return to my duties.

(exposure xp: magic theory 2+1 season spent opening an enchanted item)

Autumn:

Having provided a service the magi became more accommodating and then allowed me to return to my studies. However, my companion of all these years, Spinnerbiene has been acting strangely. He is still watching me and matching my weaving from the shadows, but he keeps disappearing during the night. Still, the reading matter I have found matches the dilapidated and concerning surroundings. I have found another primer on a technique I am weak in, the demise of all things an apprenticeā€™s primer on perdo. It is again a little out of date, but I must suffer the circumstances I find myself in as usual.

Reading a primer on Perdo, L5,q15)

Winter:

Spinnerbiene has told me to follow him into the forest. Where it anyone except my dear friend I should be too afraid, but I fear the imp of the curious is upon my shoulder and I found the offer of something new and strange impossible to ignore. I shall follow him into the faerie woods, and see what the spider courts are, and why he is so eager to take me to them.

Well. I am not sure what to say. Yet I must, I feel. Spinnerbiene took me into the forest, and from there, I am quite sure into a regio. The story gets stranger, however. I was led to a great tree in the centre of a regio, where all of the branches were covered in a thick curtain of spider webs. This was a place of strong magic, and I was excited to see it! However, when I was moved through the curtain of the webs, I was changed magically. It took me some time to realise that I had been transformed into a spider. I had never seen or felt anything like it before. A spiderā€™s body is an extremely strange experience, I must confess, and I struggle a little now to properly encapsulate it. The compound eyesight and the closeness of the ground, the tangle of so many limbs!

As much as I would love to claim that I was calm in the face of this unexpected change I was not. It took me some time to be able to control my new form properly and to fully use the vision from the many eyes. Spinnerbiene found this predictably hilarious, taunting me in his good-natured way about how I was used to being under legged and deficient in the eye department. However, with perseverance I performed adequately as a spider.

It seems there is a spider queen bound to the willow-covered-in-webs who form the senior members of a court of spider faeries and sentient spiders of virtue. Having seen Spinnerbiene come into the area and then also realising that as far as they were concerned my faerie spider blood and alignment to the magical realm were more than enough to make me require introduction to the spider court. So I spent 3 moons as a courtier to willow-covered-in-webs and attending the Black Queenā€™s court.

I learned much about the ways of fae spiders and also of magical spiders and thought long and hard about how they had so easily pierced my parma magica, but when I realised the might of the creatures in question, my injured pride settled somewhat. Still, it was a strange thing, and one I am, apparently doomed to recreate. The forest has demanded if I am to stay in the rhine tribunal, then I must present myself to the court every five years. On one hand, this is a ridiculous demand. I am a magus of the order, and subject myself to no other governance! On the other hand, I think there might be much to be gained or learned here, and defiance might cause me issues with the fae and magic spirits needlessly. Something to contemplate.

(adventure, gaining 5 xp in magic lore and 5xp in a fae sympathy (if we are using it) if not in parma magica? Returning with a pawn of rego vis and a pawn of animal vis as the symbol of the courts. Probably 3 warping points over the season for being a spider. I would like some feedback in this part)

End of the year:Correspondence with my pater about our cult. 2xp in cult lore.

Bind fast seems to me like the group is the clothes on a person. I read it as affecting only one person.

Acorns for amusement: I am perfectly happy to limit it like that. I just wanted an attack spell!