Character Creation for StephenFleetwood (OOC)

Actually, if you can gather a cotterie of magi to support you with Wizard's Vigil (the variant of Wizard's Communion for ritual spell), then casting is possible despite a low casting total.

A very good point, but laters problem as I try to convince the covenant to learn the wizards vigil. I will also try to get pcs and not NPCs to do it, for more fun!

Dice rolls can sometimes result in weird sequences and repeats.

Spin out a story event that, while not a complete disaster, makes trouble. It's a Mentem spell you are experimenting on, so maybe it interferes with the mundanes (or even the magi) of Triamore? Or maybe something to do with ghosts terrorizing the surrounding area? In any case, when Triamore realize that your experimentation was the source of the problem, they kick you out prematurely right after the season? They claim you "endangered your sodales" by your recklessness (we could even say that they have a minor clause in their Charter forbidding visiting magi from experimenting in the lab).

So how does Marcus deal with 3 seasons during which he has no covenant, no lab, and no safe place to go who is ready to receive him? A period during which any letters sent by his pater don't reach him in time? :smiling_imp:

This should be a period with lots of unproductive time (low xp) and much turmoil for him. Enough so to somewhat counterbalance the bounty he received from discovery, but only in part. And certainly not spent on things he would have wanted to do. Just a wrench thrown into his planning! :laughing:

Summer

Jesus, god and mary protect me! I have made a terrible mistake. I experimented with my spell and while I have the spell fixed in my mind now, it also did something... terrible. As I finished the spell, the magical matrix I had built up in the lab went dangerously and disastrously wrong. When I was working with creo and mentem, I think I created some sort of mind, of a whole cloth. This seems insane to even write as hermetic magic should not be capable of such a feat. Maybe I merely drew the attention of some angry spirit or power of the magic realm. Regardless, whenever I am near a human at present, it seems that it becomes possessed by a terrible wrath and malice towards me.

The guard at my lab attempted to murder me. The cleaner snarled my name, called me father and went looking for a weapon. Every single human who sees me, knows to loathe me and insists that I am their father. The magi seem untouched, probably due to their magic resistance, but god in heaven were they angry at this malevolent force I had conjoured. I have been unceremoniously (and I suspect ceremoniously, later) ejected from my place in Triamore. With the covenfolk trying to kill me, it is time to flee.

Luckily, my spider friends, with their magic resistance, were immune and we feld together with my meagre belongings, seeking any woods. There we went hunting for the entrance to the spider court. I had the idea that since all the creatures there have might, and thus magic resistance, the creature I had summoned or created would not be able to find me there.

I was unable to even leave a note or mention of where I was going. The redcaps cannot even be trusted not to be possessed and plan my murder. I do not know if anyone will ever find this journal. If you do, then know what happened to me, Marcus Ex Verditious, of the line of Sigmundus.

Gain 5xp: area lore: Rhine forest (magic regios)
0->1

@Arthur this what you meant?

A bit more extreme than what I was thinking. This is more in the range of a Disaster (result of a Botch in the Extraordinary Results Chart), rather than what Special Event would create.

Right, I shall try again. Maybe since it was a communication ritual for a while mundanes lose the ability to use language around him for a while and he gets kicked out for it?

I was thinking it might be something hard to initially spot as being caused by Marcus, so that he had time to finish his season of experimentation. No need for it to be particularly bad nor hamrful, it could even have caused something positive (like a bounty of unexpected vis). But it was obviously magical to mundanes outside of the covenant, which in itself causes some trouble to the covenant. And when it was realized that it was because Marcus experimented, they terminated his welcome as a guest for having ignored that clause (which he had simply forgotten about).

Okay. I can work with that.

Summer:

I have made a mistake. I would claim it had in fact improved things for Triomore, but they seem to think otherwise. To be clear, I worked upon my new spell, and I experimented on it. There was a small complication, a trifling thing, really, when I completed the research. This caused some issues where I may have briefly enhanced a great many people. Sadly this was not limited to simply the covenant, but out to a distance sufficient to take in a few local villages. The enhancements were entirely positive, so I do not see why the issue was so inflammatory. Certainly, the local clergy may have noticed and sought out the covenant to complain about casting on their villagers. None the less, no harm was done.

Unfortunately the leaders of Triamore did not agree. They have cast me out, citing some part of the agreement that I would not experiment while a guest, which I manifestly did break. I did not read the entire contract and now I am cast out. I did not manage to do much more than find my possessions and leave. At least at the end of a year I have a place awaiting me in the covenant at Laimant valley. Until then however, I don’t believe I have anything or anywhere. It is time to flee for one of the cities.

This in mind I have moved to Cologne, where I am going to take a room to stay in. I am probably going to be here a while, but it has left me without a laboratory or library. I am now taking in unprocessed wool from merchants to convert into woven sheets. Once again I am using my inborn gifts from my faerie heritage to make my way when magic has caused issues. Still, it pays enough for me to be able to survive and take a small room. Smuggling in a pair of giant spiders was difficult, and I am certain that under no circumstance can I allow an outsider into my rooms.

With little better to do to fill my time, I am hiding in this room teaching magic theory to a spider who I have bonded my soul to whilst I hide from the outside. I wanted to be forging an item now, but no matter.

Teach magic theory to my familiar.

Communication 2 + teaching 2+1 + 3 basic + 6 teaching one person + 5 good teacher + 5 good student = 24 xp - 12xp for magic might = 12xp

(@Arthur better?)

That works! As I mentioned, as one of the benefits from the experimentation, you can get some additional vis. I'd say 10 pawns of Mentem would be reasonable.

Note that you previously indicated that Marcus now has a grog, Edwardo, so he could play a part in the coming seasons. Start of play is Spring 1205, so you will have 2 more seasons to do something else if you'd like. Maybe learn some High German in expectation of joining the new covenant? Or trade your services to the redcaps in exchange more vis for future enchantments?

Autumn:

I am weary and bored of this house. I tire of this mundane life, insofar as speaking to a giant spider about how hermetic magic works can be called mundane. I may be left without a lab, I may be left without a library, a place or a way of getting news to my family, but I am still a seeker and a hermetic magus! I can do better than this!

Fortunately Edwardo finally caught up with me. He seems to think the whole situation in Triamore was hilarious, but at least he managed to stay long enough to get word through to the redcaps. As such, I am being met by one of them on the morrow.

Good news, I suppose. I have managed to negotiate a contract with one of the redcaps to perform some enchanting on their behalf. It is perhaps not the spell I would have chose, but none the less It is the spell which I am being paid for. A lesser enchantment of a cloak to allow the wearer to fly. It is a relatively simple enchantment, but this seems to be the preference of the redcap inquisition to ensure that it does not cause warping.

So, I am brought to a house of the redcaps, and they agree to pay the usual rates for verditious work, except for one pawn reduction to cover my use of the lab and for helping me get to my new home.

As such, they give me 3 pawns of vis for the enchantment, and then 5 further pawns of vis, one in rego and four in corpus.

The vaulting cloak

The cloak is a long, dark green cloak (flight +3) woven of wool. It is bound at the throat by a magnet (rego corpus +4) with carved amber gemstones weighing down the bottom of the cloak (corpus +3).

ReCo 24

T: Ind R:touch D: conc

When this power is used, the caster says the activation phrase and points in the direction they would like to fly. Upon doing so the cloak billows around them and the spider web pattern in it glows brightly as the owner flies in the direction indicated at approximately walking speed.

Base 5+5 touch +5 concentration + 3 item maintains concentration, +6 50 uses per day

Total:
Rego:5

Corpus:5

Magic theory: 8+2+1

Form bonus 10

Verditious runes 1 (capped at MT)

Weaving 7+1

Int 3

Inventive genius 3

Aura 3

Familiars int 2

Familiar’s MT: 2+1

Total = 53

(seemed something that a recap would want to have and something I could enchant)

1 Like

Remember to keep track of your lab texts on your character sheet. In my experience, those are quite useful to a Verditius for future use.

1 Like

Stephen, just to be sure I understand: the mystery cult was created by Sigmundus in order to become immortal, that's it? And he is searching this through the path of alchemy? Why is this called the Immortal Weaver cult, and not, say, the Immortal Smith, or the Immortal Alchemist? Why isn't Sigmundus trying to forge a mechanical body and bind his soul into it, for example? Did he stole (or found) secrets from other MC, or are you leaving this for other person to decide?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the mystery cult, and about how exactly Marcus relates to it, without further insight into Sigmundus path.

Also, does Marcus needs to be part of the cult at all? Vulgar Alchemy does not requires a cult to initiate. Sigmundus started to train Marcus only to have a suitable helper further down the line (and I imagine he has a similar deal with Placae and Travem). It is not that he can't be, I'm just failing to see any real benefit for him or for Sigmundus.

Okay, the name has come up a few times, and I suspect it is because that is what Marcus calls it and it does not have an official name, currently only being sigmundus and his apprentices.

As to why alchemy, I thought of it because it was a magical craft which already had a goal of immortality. They are trying to learn to perfect themselves to become immortal. I should really wrote up a list of beliefs at the end of char gen :slight_smile:

At the moment they are seekers searching for secrets, particularly after alchemy and alchemical perfection.

Sigmundus is creating the mystery cult at the moment. He has found an induction for hermetic alchemy (which is why he's suddenly rich) and thinks that he can see a way to refine himself to immortality if he can learn enough cult lore and find a good enough induction script.

He stole or found something with references to immortality by alchemical perfection and has been working on it since. I was leaving what exactly up to whoever runs plots for it.

He brought his apprentices for this because he thought more people had more of a chance to find things than fewer people would. Also he thought of it needed some massive magical undertaking (which it does) then being able to get all his line as lab assistants would be a source of strength for him. Also, the improved exlixer (on holiday at the moment, so serfs Parma) benefits from alchemically fixed material bonuses. Something which his hermetic children can work on for him.

Also, currently he has had no initiations of the cult because @Arthur preferred them to happen in play :slight_smile:

He should call it by the name Sigmund calls it. Or name it after his pater. I vote for "The Immortal Sigmundus Cult". XD

Your comments help to elucidate a few points. Just to be clear on what I was struggling with I will draw a few comparisons. Houlio has been apprenticed under a Titanoi, but currently doesn't have many ties to the cult. The Titanoi are not fully fleshed at the book, but there is a ton to drawn upon for ideas and plots (the infernal Tytali, titans' names, suspicious Guernicus, house Tytalus intrigue, etc). There is also a rough guideline of what the Titanoi are (summon and control spirits), and suggested Virtues to be initiated. Also important, the direction his involvement with the cult will take will pretty much will be developed at play.

Callen has ties with the Cult of Heroes and Matres & Matrones. I've not delved too deeply on these cults, but they are also partially fleshed out in the books. His relationship with these cults is also a bit clearer.

Arthur has alludded to the possibility of a Jerbiton cult, but there is nothing certain. The ifs and hows are entirely upon the SG to determine (even the existence of the cult itself, as far as I understand).

As for Marcus, the cult exists, that is a fact. But it was created by a pater we know nothing about, except that he created the cult (I mean, he is a verditius, but I have no idea what his crafts are =P). Marcus is already "involved" in the cult, but his next steps in regards to this are not defined beyond "he will help Sigmundus when the time has come". That is it. He himself, until now, has not shown any in game interest in the cult, and we have not seen what the cult could help him achieve (no promises were made), so why is he on this boat? Because he feels indebted to Sigmundus? Because Sigmundus has agreed to share the secret to immortality? Does Marcus even knows what Sigmundus is after? It kinda seems he just joined the cult for the sake of joining and gave no thought to the matter. It could be an infernalist cabal, for all he knows, and he wouldn't be aware.

Anyway, you don't need to answer these right now, I'm mostly raising them up to help me think about the matter. ^^

I think it is important to define what Marcus know about the cult, what Stephen knows about the cult, what Stephen expects about the cult (but could be subverted by the SG), and what is entirely upon the SG to create (independently if the SG is going to be me or anyone else).

1 Like

I understand. When I have finished my character, I will write something up for my characters pater and his cult. It will have some blanks for sg based subversion.

I will be a bit slow, as I am on holiday for my 40th birthday, so afk a bit

2 Likes

That being said, I am on a slow bus:

Winter

It is time to move to the valley. I am now more than prepared to take my place in a covenant as a productive member. Being a guest, or a wanderer is tiring. I wish to work finally for my own advancement, and those who I form a bond with. So, enough of this place, and onwards to my new home.

Before I go however, the redcaps have asked me for some more basic enchantments. They are, in truth ones I would have never considered doing of my own volition as they seem so basic, yet I can see that for someone who travels constantly they would be potentially lifesaving.

So, before I leave I settle in for some more work in their lab to enchant some items. They have asked me for two simple items, one which will make an item it touches warm and another which will cause whatever it touches to glow. Simple, practical items that would not have occurred to me.

This being done, I begin my route to my new home. The redcaps pass me a note from my pater that he has had some of the books we looted copied, as a gift to my new sodales, and as payment for my part in helping us gain them. This part of my life is over, it is with some trepidation I move towards a whole new one.

The warming weave x 2

This is a large cloth bag, which is jet black, dyed with the ash (+2 ignem) of hickory. This hickory alco makes up the handle (+4 ignem) and the clasp is sealed in brass (+3 ignem). When an item is put inside the bag, and a short latin phrase entreating it to become warm is utterered, it causes the item placed inside to become warm until sun up or sundown. It will also have a faint tracing of red spiderweb on it as it warms up.

Heat the stored item

CrIg 10

Base 2 +2 sun, +1 touch, +5 24 uses per day

Makes a touched item warm to the touch.

The brightening polish

A small, woven sheet which has a lamp (produce light +7) design woven into it. It has brass beads (ignem +3) and basalt (+3 ignem) stones set in its corners, which cause it to weigh down like a net when held. When it is rubbed on an item, small sparks will catch on the item and cause it to glow in the pattern of a spiderweb, as bright as a torchlight until the next sunrise or sunset.

Create the glowing torch

CrIg 15

Base 3 +2 mags sun, +1 mag touch, +5 24 uses per day

Makes a touched item glow like a torch

Total:
Creo 11

Ignem:5

Magic theory: 8+2+1

Form bonus 9

Verditious runes 2 (capped at MT)

Weaving 7+1

Int 3