Character creation

5 pawns per year during the 7 years post gauntlet. I have always assumed that the Verditius charge the cost before reduction and yes it could be a lesser item.

Perfect mate, one more question and then I should be good to toss up a basic sheet here... Since Redcaps have to give 2 seasons per year to the Order, how do you want me to handle that XP wise? Should I treat it like a story season in regards to xp and get 5? Because if he's spending the season running around delivering messages and what have you, he won't have the time to plunk down in front of a book or what have you. Which then begs the question, would I be allowed to make this Redcap a tad bit older than the other Magi ( to try and even up the xp values )? Just wanting to see how you and the other players felt about that. He would be gaining roughly 30xp a year as opposed to 40xp, which means he would need 9.33 Years to match xp from the 7 the others get. So basically 10 years :wink:

Work should give 2xp per season as if a magus is working his laboratory but that will make your redcap much weaker that everyone else. The story seasons should be more rare than 2 per year as they are something unusual. How about this?

• 2xp per season when working
• 5xp per story
• 10+ xp when study (House Mercere provides with excellent teacher and a good selection of books or you have the opportunity to borrow a few choice books from different covenants (everyone wish to be friends with the redcap).

When you are done is when you have earned enough xp to be roughly in the same xp level as a magus (7410=280xp, this is the greatest amount and then draw of a few xp for stories 5*number of points for stories). Of course if you find and learn hedge magic then you might spend some seasons inventing spell and then it is 2xp of exposure xp as for anyone else.

Your redcap will perhaps be a little older but then he or she does not have the 15 years of apprenticeship.

I'm quite fine with this Max. Though you are actually incorrect about the apprenticeship, Redcaps have one, just like everyone else! :smiley:

Ok, just shorter if I remember right.

Greetings Sodales.

My very rough concept is for a Verditius lab-rat from Constantinople. He is from a family of goldsmiths, and his Gift was noticed by his Parens when he was shopping around for someone to help him craft an artifact. Previously thought simply distant, gawkish and obsessive by his family, within Verditius this was considered a great boon. He was trained in the Med., and spent some time in Hibernia (due to the richness of the Vis there) but is now looking for a new home closer to his home city.

I'll need some help getting my head around the right languages etc. for him to start with, as to date my Ars experience has all been based around the British Isles and I've not had to think things Theben before!

His Parens named him Solomon, after his obsession with Gold.

I'd like to run a Venditore Companion alongside him - a smooth talking somewhat sly Irishman with some dark habits.

Welcome!

I've been doing a bit of further refinement to my character concept. I am thinking that my Redcap will be a self styled 'Merchant Prince', but into some shady things on the side...

Did you ever decide on a concept Max?

Because I've given some thought to the PoR as well, and would love to have a Sodalis in the same line of thought.

Yes, Polycarpus will be a Bonisagus magus who toys with elemental magic and is trying to integrate hedge elemental magic into hermetic magic.

I'm kinda stuck trying to choose between a few concepts.
So now I'm asking: should I take care not to step on toes, or should I pick a character who might magically be similar enough to another that they'd actually have something to talk about (though the personalities are likely to be widely dfferent)?

Play your original concept! Having two Magi from one house doesn't mean they are automatically the same. Like I said in the other thread, different focuses and what have you. I think they're both interesting characters.

Agree, use the concept you wish.

Alright folks, I think I’ve waited long enough for feedback on my build with this Tremere concept.

Unless someone voices objections pronto, I’m going to run with it and assume people have no problems.

For those who may have forgotten the questionable parts that I desired consensus about are the following.

1.) Special Circumstances: Certamen. This would provide a +3 to a lot of different kinds of checks in Certamen.

2.) Lesser Potent Magic: Certamen. This would provide a +3, plus up to magic theory in form and effect bonuses into a lot of Certamen checks.

3.) Performance Magic: Single Weapon + Subtle Magic. This would allow a ‘physical’ action using Single Weapon to be performed at the same time as a spell is cast, as per normal with Performance Magic, but using the Subtle Magic avoid the extreme penalties to combat checks using performance magic tied to an ability, due to avoiding the ‘ritualistic’ motions/movements which explicitly inflict said penalties.

As is I’m looking at a hermetically social Tremere who majors in hermetic intrigue and dispute settlement by Certamen for the House and Covenant and minors in physical prowess/ass-kickery.

I was also considering a different version of the character and giving him the 'Dhampir' virtue from the Tremere section, perhaps revised/updated slightly in light of the new rules in ROP:F, though I am curious as to whether people think that necessarily 'olbiges' a 'Dark Secret' flaw or not. To me taking 'Dark Secret' means you are interested in stories related to trying to conceal your secret, or in this case, that the character is a Dhampir. But essentially I see this as little different than any other type of strong faerie blood, and am not terribly interested in the 'Oh no, don't discover my -Secret-!' stories... so, if I didn't take a Dark Secret, and instead paid for everything in the build in a different way... would that sidestep that issue, or not?

Do people want a Charter for the Covenant?

I have one filed away somewhere that I could dig up, if people don’t want to get into trying to write one ( as Max has stated is his preference ). I however by far prefer to have an actual document, in writing, with clear and explicit statement about what is or is not a rule, etc. I do not like to have things varying by the mood of the majority at any given time.

Has anyone given much thought as to where in the Theban we are going to be settling? And why?

What the impetus behind the founding of the Covenant is? Are we going to start it ourselves or will it have existed for a while and/or have some history?

Does the covenant have any political affiliations in the Tribunal/Order? Do any of you –want- it to? If so what are you guys interested in pursuing in this line of things?

What kind of supernatural influences on the area/situation of the covenant would people be interested in seeing?

What kind of physical features or structures etc. are people wanting to see?

[quote="Vortigern"]
Alright folks, I think I’ve waited long enough for feedback on my build with this Tremere concept.

Unless someone voices objections pronto, I’m going to run with it and assume people have no problems.
2.) Lesser Potent Magic: Certamen. This would provide a +3, plus up to magic theory in form and effect bonuses into a lot of Certamen checks.

[i] The core Potent Magic bonus (minor+3, or major +6) normally applies to lab totals and casting. You want that bonus applied to certamen instead... awesome. But the additional bonus up to the score of magic theory (a) only works on formulaic spells, (b) requires you to invent the spell with specific item/charms, (c) only works if you hold these items when casting, and (d) requires a unique discrete item/charm for each different potent spell. [see TMREp31] None of these four conditions apply to certamen. I just don't think that the mechanism fits here.

One way to understand potent magic is that it offers a boost to casting score like that associated with vis boosting, but without requiring vis expenditure. The shape and material affinities of the casting tools take the place of vis. So maybe this aspect of Potency in Certamen can be based off the rules for using vis during a match. Conceptually it makes sense that 'potency' in certamen should provides a little bit more force or punch to a magic effect. Lets say that the score in Magic Theory is a pool of points which you can expend to boost one roll of an attack or defense total in one round of the match. So if you have a MT of 6, it is equivalent to having 3 free pawns of vis to use during every certamen match; which is very cost effective tool.

The downside would be that it is obvious when you are doing this. You couldn't use it for certamen matches within Tremere since they restrict vis use for such contests. But when competing with outsiders, you can just say that the sapphire dagger and silver brooch you are brandishing are your vis containers. Most folks will just accept this, but you could get in trouble if the quaesitors investigate. Magical Potency in certamen is like Mark McGwire's steroid use in baseball. Go ahead and boost yourself up, but run the risk of getting caught.

Are you taking the minor hermetic virtue [True Lineages p143] Harenarius? If you only pick one of the standard certamen schools at the outset, you could invent your own new combat style. The tactical aspects of that might be more fun to play out than a vanilla bonus from 'special circumstances.' Plus you start with a bad-ass reputation and can open your own dojo getting handsomely rewarded for teaching hermetic jujitsu. Of course, a generation from now some hot shot kid fresh off his gauntlet shows up figuring to make a name for himself taking you out...... [/i]

[quote="Vortigern"
[/quote]
this one's the only problematic one.
I'm farly certain Potent Magic doesn't work that way.

I like Edelsteen's solution. The only thing I would say is that it would be no more 'illegal' than Vis usage, since we're basically equating the two.

Dear all

Whilst surfing for various snippets I found the following list of names from Byzantium. Thought the link might come in handy:

cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Byzantine_Names

Regards

N.

I thought I would chime in. I am thinking of a shapeshifter character with a decent shape shifter score including a dolphin, imperial eagle and one of the big cats. I am thinking a Jerbiton Artist type, tytalus or perhaps a Merinita.

I am thinking of going Creo expert with the healing touch but also creo in other areas as well.

Well, at least we'll all be healthy, and the longevity potions will be great...

I have had time to think about things.

I am looking at a Tytalus Shapeshifter/Healer. She heals her enemies to that they can fight and conflict with her more. She causes trouble around her without really even trying. She loves her animal forms which will be dolphin, Golden Eagle and some form of land animal (debating lion, fox, or some other form of predator).

Her magic has a chaotic element to it that shows up in her spontaneous spell and lab work to match her own mercurial nature and the chaos around her. Things are always calm or insane about her and she loves shape shifting in ways and yet no one believes her responsible generally. She loves conflict.

Her Pater was firm and harsh that worked her and pushed her hard to excel. She managed to pass her gauntlet on the second attempt when she manifested her third animal shape, one that he did not know she had learned and mastered in secret along with an arcane connection that she managed to steal and hide just before the gauntlet.