character design and development

Following up on this (finally), it would seem the most appropriate story flaw for Bravery would be Heir. For personality flaws, I'd probably give the young Bravery either Secretive, Covenant Upbringing or Sheltered Upbringing (If the mother feels its appropriate), noncombatant or reclusive. Kind of looking for things that may tie into the Uncertain Faith.

Probably covenant upbringing over sheltered upbringing. Anna is mostly counting on servants and such to raise Bravery when she isn't teaching/watching him personally. Which still means quite a lot of mother/son interaction, but it also means quite a lot of Covenfolk/Bravery interaction.

Assuming silveroak gives an okay, I can take over Bravery's character with Heir and Covenant Upbringing added. I have no idea how we're balancing virtues and flaws with the Fertility Magic involved. Hopefully I can leave most of his 'education' decisions to you, I can figure out any free seasons he has and keep the character sheet updated.

For 1138,

Gloriana/MR have no adventures, will advance.
Spring: Invent Invent spells introduction of the male essence ReCo 20 + other ReCo spells. ReCo Lab Total w/o her assistants: 49 + 5 Int + 16 MT + 6 Aura + 7 Lab + 10 MR= 93 , 20 to Intro of the male essence from Lab Text, 73 + 7 similar spell to creating a Leap of the Homecoming with T:Touch, ReCo 40, Exeunt to Weal or Woe. Warping shenanigans: _: 1D10 = [8] = 8 none
Now that she has plenty of Me vis, and Mother rabbit has increased her Confidence, she will again spont cast her enhancement rituals:
Summer: Perception to 3, that's R:P, D: Mom, T:Ind, base 45. She has (CrMe 54 + Sta 5 + 21 Me again (Self Transformation) + 6 Aura + 10 cast ceremonially + 5 Props + _: 1D10 = [2] = 2)/2 = 51, done! 4 Me vis spent + 1 Creo vis from Mother Rabbit
Rest a couple of days, then Perception to 4 that's R:P, D: Mom, T:Ind, base 50. She has (CrMe 54 + Sta 5 + 21 Me again (Self Transformation) + 6 Aura + 10 cast ceremonially + 5 Props + _: 1D10 = [2] = 2 )/2 = 51, done! 4 Me vis spent + 1 Creo vis from Mother Rabbit
Fall: increase Pre to 4, that's R:P, D: Mom, T:Ind, base 50. She has (CrMe 54 + Sta 5 + 21 Me again (Self Transformation) + 6 Aura + 10 cast ceremonially + 5 Props + _: 1D10 = [6] = 6 )/2 = 53 done! 4 Me vis spent + 1 Creo vis from Mother Rabbit
Rest a couple of days
increase Com to 4, that's R:P, D: Mom, T:Ind, base 50. She has (CrMe 54 + Sta 5 + 21 Me again (Self Transformation) + 6 Aura + 10 cast ceremonially + 5 Props + _: 1D10 = [7] = 7 )/2 = 53 done! 4 Me vis spent + 1 Creo vis from Mother Rabbit
[size=150]Too late realize she has formulaic spells already for these 2, curses, could have raised Mother Rabbit's stats.[/size] :blush:
Aging: Aging rol _: 1D10 = [3] = 3 +6 age - 2 Magi standards - 2 Healthy Feature - 1 Good food - 1 Good wine -1 Regimen - 4 Bronze cord =-2, no apparent aging
*Note that Gloriana gains 24 Insight points into Fertility Magic from having previously invented spells and gaining Insight on 1138 from her parens carefully written Lab notes.
Aegis roll for 1138 = _: 1D10 = [1] = 1 , _: 1D10 = [10] = 10, yay!

Andros/SR have an adventure in Winter, will advance through Fall.
Invent Eyes for the Lurking Assassin InVi 45 from Hermetic Projects : Andros has InVi 38 + 3 Int + 10 MT +6 Aura + Lab 13 + SR 12 + 11 Neleos = 93, enough. Warping shenanigans _: 1D10 = [7] = 7 , none,
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [2] = 2 + 8 Age - 2 magi Standards- 2 healthy locale - 1 good food -1 good wine-3 familiar bond- 6 LR - 1 Regimen - 1 Palatial Lab =-7, nothing happens

Sandor has the eternal war, must resolve. Done!

Sybilla has adventures in Spring, must resolve. Done!

Lady A has adventures in Spring, must resolve. Done!
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [2] = 2 + 6 Age - 2 Wealthy- 2 healthy locale - 1 good food -1 good wine - 14 LR- 1 Monstrous Blood - 1 Regimen = -14 no change
Her husband: _: 1D10 = [2] = 2+ Age 8 - 2 Wealthy - 2 Healthy location - 1 Food - 1 Wine - 1 regimen= 3 apparent aging

Danaë has adventures in Spring, must resolve. Done!
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [10] = 10 +5 Age - 2Magi standards - 2 Healthy feature -1 Good Food - 1 Good wine -1 Magic blood - 1 Regimen= -3 nothing happens (Unaging)

Busy year for Arduino, in Spring Aurthor teaches him the Inventive Genius virtue (and Ibis gifts the young magus with puissant on MT).

Class with Anvy in Summer.

Craft of five Charms Against the Rain for Mercere House during Fall, for an income of 8 Re vis.

Invent Chirurgeon's Healing Ring from lab text in Winter.

Hi all,

I asked on Recruitment: Players Looking for Games whether there is a Maga or Magus interested to take an apprentice and silveroak responded that Praesidium Orae has some Maga offspring that might need a player. I wouldn't mind waiting another 5 years to take over a completely blank sheet character or take Bravery if raccoonmask is only planning to take him because nobody else is (not sure from briefly following the discussion what is the case).

If the troupe is interested in having me as a player, how should we best proceed?
I am new to PbP and relatively new to ArM5 (I started or am about to start playing in Bad Apples), I played a bit of ArM4 back in the days. After that we played WoD and nobody took the task to lead another Ars Saga.

If I see that correctly the Ex Miscelanea tradition will be Praxologist, involving

Virtues: Inventive Genius, Comprehend Magic
Flaw: Chaotic Magic

not Fertility Magic in particular, is that about right? My long term goals would then probably involve following my mater and her parens in integrating some ancient magic into hermetic magic myself (I thought about Canaan Necromancy). WDYT?

I am completely blank on Fertility Magic, so I have no idea how that interacts with character creation. What is the most important thing I should read about?

Best
Jan

Hi eldarin and welcome!

In case Bravery is not available Aurthor ex Miscellanea (a magus played by me) intends to take another apprentice in the next few years.

He is a Praxologist too.

I was planing on taking him over because I think its more interesting for people not to run their own apprentices. :slight_smile: I'm happy to have someone else do it, so I'm not running two equivalent age apprentices. As far as non-apprentices, the Lustful members of the covenant are always doing their best to ensure more opportunities for companions to adopt.

Hey eldarin!

Well, we have yet to see if that's a thing in silveroak's Saga, but currently there's Aurthor on Hyperborean magic, Gloriana is about to learn Fertility Magic (Anna has that virtue already), there are lots of Defixios in storage (Gloriana wanted to explore this in the future, but hasn't had the time), there are a few Heron's Mechanica items as well.

Fertility Magic: Anna has that virtue, so she can create a Lab Total and spend some vis and preselect some traits for her offspring, or somebody who she aids. So Bravery already has some traits, including being Gifted. These traits are extra, and do not count against the usual balance of a characters Virtues and Flaws.

You mean to the Virtues and Flaws he already has we can add +10/-10 on top?...

Yep.

Yeah, let's wait what silveroak has to say regarding research into Canaanite Necromancy. Might influence character creation a bit.

For now I am searching for hooks regarding personality. There is not too much in the thread and I am not into the saga enough to judge what kind of personality his mother is... However, given

and

I would say he feels the focus put on him and will get his personality influenced by that fact. Maybe Overconfident or Proud could be something?

depends. If you are talking Bravery he has been assigned +/- 3, so you can add another +/- 7. If you are talking about the as yet to be created character then you can add +/- 10 to whatever he has recieved from Anna's work and any other enhancements they have gone through (like stat enhancing rituals)

For 1139:

Andros/SR have adventures in Winter, will be advanced through Fall. Note that in Fall, Andros has to travel to get his measurements taken, how long does this take? He can return to his sanctum with Leap of the Homecoming, and spy Neleos's behavior through Minding the Grogs sustained for a Moon and Posing the Silent Question
Winter lab work warping shenanigans : _: 1D10 = [6] = 6 , none
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [8] = 8 + 8 Age - 2 magi Standards- 2 healthy locale - 1 good food -1 good wine -3 familiar bond- 6 LR - 1 Regimen - 1 Palatial Lab = -1, nothing happens

Gloriana/MR have no adventures, will advance. By end of 1139 Summer, Gloriana has accumulated 35 Breakthrough points from her parens Fertility research, she fully develops Fertility Ritual Magic!!! At last.
•In Spring, will spont Ritual CrCo to increase her Dex. From 3 to 4 is 50 required, total is (CrCo 66 + 5 Sta + 10 AL/Phi + 6 aura + 5 Props + 33 minor focus Self Transformation + _: 1D10 = [2] = 2)/2= 63 done! This costs her 5 pawns, she will spend 2 of her long fatigue for Co vis, 3 Creo from Mother Rabbit. She has to rest for 3 days to regain lost fatigue
•In Summer, will spont Ritual CrCo to increase her Dex. From 4 to 5 is 55 required, total is (CrCo 66 + 5 Sta + 10 AL/Phi + 6 Aura + 5 Props + 33 minor focus Self Transformation + _: 1D10 = [5] = 5)/2= 65. This costs her 6 pawns, she will spend 3 of her long fatigue for Co vis, 3 Creo from Mother Rabbit. She has to rest for 4 days to regain lost fatigue.
•In Winter, Gloriana will cast The Rogue's Tongue [CrMe 60, +69] Ritual Mastery 1 (Gentle:Sybilla) once on herself, Sybilla, and Mother Rabbit. She invites the other Magi to see if they want to participate, as well as Lady A, Marah, and the Weavers. She will not charge for this, although she welcomes any gift the Magi make in return. [strike]She spends 1 Creo pawns from MR, 5 Me from her stash.[/strike]
Aging roll _: 1D10 = [2] = 2 +6 age - 2 Magi standards - 2 Healthy Feature - 1 Good food - 1 Good wine -1 Regimen - 4 Bronze cord = -3, no effect
•Aegis ritual roll: _: 1D10 = [1] = 1, boom, another strong casting, _: 1D10 = [5] = 5, so her boni + 10

Danaë has adventures in Spring, must resolve. Done! will advance.
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [10] = 10 +6 Age - 2Magi standards - 2 Healthy feature -1 Good Food - 1 Good wine -1 Magic blood - 1 Regimen= -2 nothing happens (Unaging)

Sandor has adventures all over, must resolve. Done! will advance

Sybilla has no adventures, will advance. Done!

Lady A has adventures in Spring, must resolve.Done!
Aging roll: _: 1D10 = [6] = 6 + 6 Age - 2 Wealthy- 2 healthy locale - 1 good food -1 good wine - 14 LR- 1 Monstrous Blood - 1 Regimen = -10 no change
Severinus's aging roll 73: _: 1D10 = [4] = 4 + Age 8 - 2 Wealthy - 2 Healthy location - 1 Food - 1 Wine - 1 regimen= 5 apparent aging

Seems reasonable.

If I was describing Anna's personality... Well she's really scared of fire. She's curious, but has a tendency to get over focused on stuff, while letting other things fall by the wayside. I want to say like a stereotypical quirky scientist. This extends to her family too, with Bravery and Honor (her husband) getting the majority of the focus there and her other four kids sort of falling by the wayside. She is good natured, so she responds to things like attacks on the local peasants. Plus the Divine has blessed her with youth, and she does want to keep that blessing; could you imagine the horror of growing old?

I could take that apprentice if eldarin doesn't. I don't have to though. If a new player shows up, or someone has a really good idea go for it!

What is Second sight (divine)?

It refers to second sight coming from the divine realm, meaning it does not prevent magical warping, but does allow second sight which penetrates infernal illusions.

So I think I advanced everyone except for Aegis.

However: Fortitude isn't associated with the magic realm and has spent the past five years in the covenant! Well six now. The point is that means its time for his firsts minor flaw! How about some form of monstrous blood? How about an extra set of cat ears? It makes hearing difficult as he's not able to properly interpret the sound that comes from that pair and it interferes with his regular hearing?

the typical warping for everyone is to have the horse's hooves and tail, which parallels the magic regio in which the grogs are all centaurs.

Some thoughts regarding Bravery:

Virtues:
[strike]Deft Intelligence (minor, child, general; A 11), later replaced with Great Intelligence[/strike]

[strike]Protection from diseases (major, child, supernatural; A 12), later replaced with Plagued by Ghost (I know it should be replaced with a virtue, but this would fit very well story-wise, could be the very Ghost that later drags Bravery into all kinds of stories; should be possible to get the balance back... )[/strike]

Major Magical Focus: Necromancy (major, hermetic; ArM5 45)
Affinity[sup][/sup] Rego (minor, hermetic; ArM5 40)
Affinity[sup]
[/sup] Corpus (minor, hermetic; ArM5 40)
Affinity[sup]*[/sup] Mentem (minor, hermetic; ArM5 40)
Inventive Genius (minor, hermetic; ArM5 44)

[sup]*[/sup] if we don't want to recalculate arts we could just have affinities as inherited virtues that manifest next year

Flaws:
Know-it-all (major, child, personality; A 11), later replaced by Overconfident (major, personality; ArM5)

Plagued by Ghost (major, story; ArM5 58)
I'd like to use this flaw as a hook to Canaanite Necromancy. Maybe the ghost knows about En-Dor or Zephaniah, [strike]or even has the ability Canaanite Necromancy.[/strike]
Of course it is basically a flaw and no insight generator.
Even if that is not at all possible I would stick to the flaw and think it can lead to interesting stories.

Covenant Upbringing (minor, personality; ArM5 52)

What do you think so far?