Character Development

Sorry for misquoting you a bit there (entirely unintentionally).

I suppose there's the issue that companion level characters will usually have high might, so they can't use the extra seasons effectively (unless they also buy the reduced might inferiority a lot of times, at which point they suddenly have both masses of qualities and a high learning potential). I think, though, that it being only spirits who are likely to have the quality is something that's your opinion rather than necessarily supported by the quality description (actually, technically, according to RoP:M, spirits will never explicitly have to have the quality, they just get all its effects automatically, but that's getting into largely irrelevant details except to say that clearly magical beings other than spirits are expected to take it).

For example, Alcimus is a wolf. Why shouldn't he be tireless? Actually, I've done this by buying several extra fatigue levels and enduring constitution (and have no intention of restatting), but there's no fundemental reason he shouldn't have the quality.

I don't know. Why shouldn't he be tireless? Sounds like you might want to make him that way. It comes down to a question of whether you want him more tireless or more have deep reserves and be able to exert himself a lot. Either way seems reasonable and fine.

Anyway, I think you misunderstand me. Do we expect most magi to be attuned to tireless magical animals instead of other ones? I'm saying on the whole magical animals do not tend to be tireless. Add to that that we're not letting grog-level magical animals start with No Fatigue, and we shouldn't see it in most non-spirit familiars. Thus they will tend to be relatively rare. That's all I'm saying.

Then there's also your very valid point that for the more powerful familiars No Fatigue isn't nearly as useful.

Chris

Is that Faerie Friend complete enough to use at least a sketch of him in the regio story?

Scott

Callen, Tasia's latest statting seems to have disappeared from the thread. Was that intentional?

Flame is traditionally a Major Magical Focus - see the example Flambeau in the core book. Other than that, looks fine.

Yeah, she looks fine this time. Did you want to change her again? Or maybe you wanted to do a new version with Correspondences?

Scott

Scott removed the stats. I'm guessing it was an accident when he was replying. If you look at that post from me, it has part of what I wrote quoted with a reply from Scott. But maybe it was intentional. You'll have to ask Scott.

Yes, I'm adding correspondences (since that rule change), but that's it outside of coming up with a casting sigil like what I envision Guernicas's to have been. Any suggestions on the sigil?

I'm working on the faerie. How many years should I use? I'm supposed to use "average age of magus player characters -5" in the calculations. I guess all the magi are up now so I can read through them and calculate. I couldn't earlier.

Chris

I did? I can't imagine how I would have done that. I haven't even been into the Moderator Control Panel with that thread lately, though I could accidentally have hit the Delete button, esp. if I was looking at the forum on my phone. Maybe the board had a hiccup. As long as you still have them, though, no harm done, I guess.

Flavius isn't up, and we haven't seen flux lately, but he's not one of the permanent magi, and probably you should use them.

Scott

Here's a quick sketch of where I'm headed with the Faerie Friend. I'm working with the original idea of having him be a protector. I did remove the dying part, though. He tries to protect others, but he is often the cause of the conflict that gets them needing protection. I'm looking at Second Sight and Faerie Sight. I guess Faerie Sight doesn't work against things like a wizard's invisibility, only things from Faerie, right? I still need one more flaw, too, as it stands.

Faerie Might 5

Int -2, Per +2, Str +1, Sta +2, Pre -2, Com 0, Dex +2, Qui +2

Virtues
Faerie Speech +1
Highly Cognizant +1
Humanoid Faerie +1
Lesser Power: Damaging Effect (costs 1) +1
Passes for Human
Personal Power: Supernatural Agility (costs 3) +1
Personal Power: [vis collection thing] w/ Residual Power (below) +1 <-- not sure how to do this, but it's specifically mentioned w/ Residual Power; I'll work on it
Pretentious +1
Residual Power +1

Flaws
Meddler -3
Oversensitive (Disrespect & Insults to Others) -1
Reckless -1
Traditional Ward: Payment -1
Unruly Air -1

Pretenses 20x(37-5=32)+120=760 --> 15 left
Athletics 5 [75]
Awareness 4 [50]
Bows 7 [140]
Brawl 3 [30]
Carouse 2 [15]
Faerie Lore 3 [30]
Faerie Speech 5 [75]
Folk Ken 3 [30]
Ride 1 [5]
Single Weapon 10 [275]
Stealth 2 [15]
Swim 1 [5]

Look on the previous page of this thread near the bottom and you'll see the entry was authored by me but written by you:

However it happened, it's OK. I have the original. I figured you were moving her to the other thread or something. I'll post here there.

OK. Then the age will have to be recalculated, but that's no too big a deal. I'm still moving points around a bit.

Chris

I'm afraid I never actually managed to give Tasia and Vrahos more than a very quick read through when they were briefly up before. Things pretty much look fine now (although I largely haven't tried to check any figures), but I've got a few minor questions on Vrahos:

Firstly, shouldn't he have magic might 3 rather than 5? (Base 3, 3x improved might, 3 points spent on ritual power)? If it's the might rather than the number of lots of extra might that are wrong, this is presumably going to cause him some difficulties with his focus power, as he can't produce any effect with a level higher than his might (level 5 allows you to do a bit, especially if you do it at touch rather than voice range - I think you still need level 10 for Rego Corpus equivalents - but level 3 is too low for pretty much anything).

Secondly, how physical and detectable is Vrahos? Ignoring spells and things like second sight, can other magi tell he's there? Sense him enough to cast spells on? (This occurred to me as a result of the Ward Against Heat and Flames Porta was casting on him, but it'll become relevant if anything wants to target it directly for an attack as well).

Thirdly, how does Vrahos travel? It's got limited movement, so isn't capable of moving itself at a rate of more than about 10 paces per hour. Is it capable of riding on Tasia (probably not physical enough)? You've got the Rego Vim bond, but that only works 12 times a day, which probably isn't enough to keep him with her on its own if she's doing more than working in a lab for most of the day.

Typo. I'd changed it on the deleted post. I had to go to a slightly older version. I'll fix it again.

Yes, I was wondering if Portia could detect him. Tasia didn't ask because she was trying to hold onto her spell so she just spat out a quick reply. You need Second Sight or something similar. Then you can see and hear Vrahos.

...for Concentration duration, maintained by the bond. I'd asked about this earlier to keep Vrahos with her. It's somewhere earlier in the thread. I added the high number of uses per day on top of that so I could bring Vrahos somewhere and let him stay there if he wanted by ending the concentration. Then I could bring him back by activating the effect again.

Chris

Ah right - I'd misremembered it as a pure teleportation effect.

So his focus power is quite severely limited at the moment in what it can actually do?

Yes, it is. Vrahos can make a +10 attack ignoring magic resistance but have burned through all his Might, or he can keep swinging for +10 damage not ignoring resistance, also burning through his Might (though in this case the effect lasts longer). Generally this will mean either Vrahos or Tasia will act while the other will back that one up.

Even through Vrahos's ability is capped at Might+20, he needs to get to MM4 to break a level 15 effect and MM5 to get to the full 25. The goal is to get the cap up to 50 and get him to MM10, but that's a long, long way off.

Chris

That fits Viola's personality very well. :slight_smile:

It looks like you're right about Faerie Sight, yes--the advantage over Second Sight is it doesn't require its own Ability/Pretense, but uses Awareness.

Anyway, he's looking good so far.

Scott

I may have accidentally done an "Edit" rather than a "Reply".

Scott

No biggee. I put her up in the magi thread. I added the Correspondence experience, mostly in law stuff and some Arts.

Chris

Right, so to check I'm understanding how this works:

Vrahos at base can produce a level 3 effect. He's invested 4 mastery points from one of his Improved Powers into raising the maximum cap by one magnitude per mastery point/ 5 levels per mastery point (the book says the latter, although I suspect this is a case of them not thinking through what happens below level 5 properly. I don't think it makes any difference in this case anyway, due to the second cap). Any use of the focus power costs 1 might point per magnitude; therefore with a Might Score of 3, Vrahos is limited to level 15 effects at most.

Vrahos' penetration on the effect is Might score 3 - 5 x might points spent + penetration (telekinesis) 2 (3) = 6 - 5 x might points spent, i.e. 1 at best.

Alternatively, he can aim the attack to bypass magic resistance.

Have I got all that right?

Yes to everything. You're right 3+1+1+5+5=15, which is the limit with 3 points to spend. And 4+1+5+5+5=20, which is the limit with 4 points to spend. So it won't make a difference which way the cap is interpreted.

Yup. Pretty piddly, huh?

Yes, and then he uses Finesse to make the aimed attack roll, as normal. Unfortunately, this will cost him the Might for one shot, whereas in the previous case he can keep swinging with an item.

Chris

Good. I'll finish things up soon. Any idea what the missing magi's ages are?

OK.

Chris