Chthonic Magi, paganism and Faerie

Wouldn't things like Charon's obol be considered small ceremonies for Hades (and Charon, of course)? I don't think direct worship is the sole way for such a faerie god to collect vitality.

Also, canonically

and

so it's not like Hades was never worshipped directly in canon. And canon is rather explicit on his status as well:

As always, feel free to change things to suit your game, but I'm pretty sure Hades being a faerie god fits into canon properly.

Worth mentioning perhaps that Hecate is a Titan according to most ancien sources.

4 Likes

Um, no. According to Hesiod she is the daughter of two titans, but so was Zeus, and he was considered a god, not a titan. According to other sources Zeus was he father, which would definitely put her amongst the gods, not the titans. She was however treated as a goddess and worshiped as a goddess. The titans were Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetus, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Tethys, and Cronus, and they were never worshiped. The only descendants of those titans who are sometimes considered titans are Leto, Helios, Atlas and Prometheus.

Hecate is also sometimes considered among the titans (though the sources differ on this, as on so many other things), and in the game that is the canon interpretation.

She is referred to as a titan-goddess in the game, and is not the only one.

"Some of the worshiped beings
were younger titan — aspects of the magical
world that performed their tasks according
to nature whether man took notice of them
or not. These “magical gods” included He-
lios the sun god, Selene the moon goddess,
Hekate goddess of witchcraft, and Leto and
Asteria, the goddesses of prophecy."
The Sundered Eagle p124

5 Likes

Yes, but in game canon is rarely accurate, and most certainly does not qualify as "most ancient sources"

In game canon is fairly often accurate, even if it usually picks one option of the several that are possible.

In-game canon is indeed not "most ancient sources", but I really don't have the time or inclination to track down all the primary sources to see what each and every one of them say. (Besides, as far as Ars Magica is concerned, in-game canon matters more than historical sources)
There are however sources which do claim she is a Titan, and few if any that claim otherwise.
That she was treated and worshipped as a goddess is not an argument against her being a titan. The titans were gods, even if they weren't Olympians.

6 Likes

My point is that I wasn't responding to in game cannon, but the claim on ancient sources. It is also worth noting that these issues are still very much alive for a portion of the population for which they form the foundation of actual beliefs held in the modern day. Which goes to the other issue- we do clearly disagree as to the accuracy of in game cannon, but I personally also believe that striving for accuracy n in game cannon quickly becomes a flaw instead of a virtue for the game, because at that point every detail of canon is making an argument for historical validity at the detriment of the game.
Personally I think the game as it stands is very close to that line. For me it has crossed that line but not to a point that the game is no longer enjoyable, but to where I believe it could be improved by striving not so much for less historical accuracy but less claim of historical accuracy.