Circle Duration & Existing Spells

Sure. It seems quite right that if I turn everyone inside of a house into frogs, they should stay that way if they hop out; similarly for Target Circle (so long as the spell is not Duration Ring).

I'm asking for comments to settle precisely that question.

Both your points are good, so I will delete the erratum. I am a little nervous about someone coming up with stacked Ring/Circle spells that do something horribly game-breaking forever, but the clarifications to Ring Duration should block most of them.

1 Like

Excluding the Circle itlself won't fix those; they are inherent in the "permanent" nature of Ring.
It would only make the setup a little more "fragile", and if wards are explicitly made "more robust" even that mostly falls.

I'm all for "the circle falls within the circle". It's so much cleaner.

Ring/Circle spells protecting against everything of any Hermetic Form from the outside should still work. How to break such a Ring/Circle, if it is protected by these spells gainst stuff of all Hermetic Forms?

Anyway, a request of equal treatment of Circle, Room, Structure and Boundary implies rewriting many spells and likely reworking the game world.

That is a vast exaggeration (and things go in the opposite direction, in fact), in my opinion.

Whereas an equal treatment of "Container" spells makes ArM5, a mechanically-complex game, more accessible. This is really important: most players do not have the same level of rule-mastery as the average person discussing these threads. Keep it simple (and mythic)!

3 Likes

I cannot agree more !