Circular Devices and T:Circle/D:Ring

I honestly don't think any of those qualify as tracing out the ring. Not as I understand the language anyway.

If you don't think that one can trace out a full circle in the sand by turning a compass 180 degrees (not 360!) around its axis of symmetry... well, there's not much else to be said. I've never thought something so simple could be read so differently by two people, but well, at least it's clearer exactly where we see things differently.

I think I would probably allow them since they don't violate the line length/Rd stipulations and I think this kind of player agency is fun, but would probably draw the line at one round, like if you can find a creative way to draw a 10 pace(or smaller) circumference circle in a round at touch range then more power to you, but any larger just doesnt work.

The difference being between a player being clever and a player trying to violate the target parameters of the magic system

1 Like

sigh No, the most conservative reading is not turning the magi into a living compass whose legs are tracing the circle.

The device creates the effect. But you still have to target the effect. For instance, if the range of the effect is voice, it's your voice that determines the actual range. If you're casting a circle or ring spell, you still need to trace the circle. It even says that in the rules, "the circle/ring can be magically created, but he magus still needs to trace the circle".

1 Like

Yes, of course. An enchanted circle inlaid in a floor. You command the enchantment and the spell takes effect on that inlaid circle. Any other reading would be perverse.

But the time requirement remains. A circle about a metre across will take a round to activate. A circle a couple of metres across will take a couple of rounds. Magically-sensitive people in the area will notice the circle powering up, and be able to intervene. They could move out of the circle, or destroy it, or cast a counter-spell, or whatever.

As for a circle formed by your arms: sure. But how long can you hold your arms in that position? Asking for Concentration tests would be perfectly reasonable.

1 Like

Quick note: 10 paces of circumference per round means a circle of roughly 3m (really nearly 3.183 paces) diameter could be traced in one 6s round.

1 Like

Hello hello hello, I have an opinion. Yes a circle such as a ring or bowl can trace itself without the wizard running a finger over the edge of the thing, but no it cannot do so stationary. If the circle must be "drawn" you could simply spin a ring or bracelet or big stone bowl in place, thus tracing the circle with the item itself by same virtue of being able to pick up a hoe and trace a circle for its enchantments. This doesn't use the user at all, while still having the need to "move around the circle" IMO.

Yes, of course. An enchanted circle inlaid in a floor. You command the enchantment and the spell takes effect on that inlaid circle. Any other reading would be perverse.
But the time requirement remains. A circle about a metre across will take a round to activate. A circle a couple of metres across will take a couple of rounds. Magically-sensitive people in the area will notice the circle powering up, and be able to intervene. They could move out of the circle, or destroy it, or cast a counter-spell, or whatever.
As for a circle formed by your arms: sure. But how long can you hold your arms in that position? Asking for Concentration tests would be perfectly reasonable.

I do agree with this though where it could possibly happen just by existing, but that it needs time to pass around the item. The magic itself could take some effect where it flashes across the edge of the item, not requiring prerequisites of any kind for being purely cosmetic, though potentially, if you were nitpicking, requiring a very easy CrIg or CrIm spell to create the light that "traces" the circle.