Class teaching

Let's say we have a Grand Master of an ability (Magic theory is my motivation, but any will do)

She teaches a group of students, as is allowed by her teaching score.

In the class are a brand new apprentice, and a Maga 30 years out of gauntlet with MT 6 (say), all students MT are less than the teacher's MT, and so are eager to learn.

Does the class work?

Or do the students have to be within a certain range of abilities in order to group teach?

Am I trying to bring in too much detail, and does this line of thinking bring back Libri Quæstionum and all the attendant horrors?

Bob

Just don't forget the -3 to SQ for the gift for the student's reacting to the teacher's Gift, unless she can extend Parma to all the students. Their Gift doesn't affect her due to Parma. The consensus here on the forum is that the Gift doesn't stack, I have a different take. But the class should have a lot of backstabbing and no one should really trust teach other.

The only mention on Ability and Art scores in RAW is that it is limited to the teacher's score. I think, IRL, that a wide range is difficult to deal with, but I'm not sure it's something that would be "fun" for a game. I'd just have her deliver her SQ.

Maybe. I tend to think that teaching doesn't get enough attention and books (summae) are too valuable, having student's ability scores affect teacher's SQ only deepens that divide, IMO. For an apprentice PbP game, I radically changed how summae work, and discussed some of it here. I became bothered by the quantity of L15Q15 and L20Q10 summae I saw floating out in the aether. In most of the covenants I've setup with other players, tractatus are minimized at build time, because summae are fare too cheap.

The class works perfectly well by the RAW.
Yes, a great disparity of abilities might make teaching somewhat less effective, in theory. This is in part captured by the fact that teaching to more people is harder than teaching one-on-one (also, keep in mind that the senior students can in turn help pass on knowledge to the younger ones - in fact, in my experience a diverse class can often learn more quickly than a very homogeneous one when the limiting factor is the time the teacher can devote to it).

But just determining how much difference is too much is beyond the scope of the rules as written. A quick house rule we adopted was that, just like in trained groups fighting together, students must have scores within 5 of each other. It was almost never an active constraint.

cheers for replies, I was worried I had missed something somewhere.

Bob

Yeah, that's 4th ed you're thinking about. Options were a lot more complex back then. Ymmv whether "better" or no.