Companion discussion thread

It should be pretty obvious that Hervé is different than what's in the book. I'm going to butt in, since he has some story hooks.

Renaud is screaming for certain things. Probably Lone Redcap, not Red Cap and Blood of Heroes being another one.

He'd have to have Blood of Heroes to have Messenger's Memory (which is pretty awesome). If I'm playing him, I'd like to have Gift of Tongues too. It is SO useful. Also, you might consider Invisible to Magic-- "Where is Renaud? We need him to organize this House event." <> "I can't find him... he must be dead or in a regio..." <>

Well there is a reason that the demon is having the foster brother go after him...
Just sayin'.

Wait. WHAT?

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/heroes-birthright-duration-and-warping/188/1

And. https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/e-mail-verification/172/1

Lets try this

[size=150]Renaud[/size]
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre +1, Com +2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 35 (35), Height: 5'6'', Weight: 158 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Virtues and Flaws: Lone Redcap, Messenger's Memory, Blood of Heroes, Clouds Regio Network*, Gift of Tongues, Educated (50/50), Social Contacts (Choose), Luck (Luck Bonus: +1 to +3), Well Traveled (50/50), Heroic Personality, Black Sheep, Humble
Reputations: Poor Reputation 2, Bad Reputation 2
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack , Defense +4, Damage
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +3, Defense +3, Damage +0
Kick: Init: 1, Attack +3, Defense +2, Damage +3
Soak: +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: French 5, Latin 4, Athletics 2 (grace), Area Lore: France 3 (Taverns), Etiquette 3 (peasants), Leadership 2 (inspiration), Music 1, Stealth 1, Awareness 3 (searching), Bargain 3, Brawl 3 (Dodge), Carouse 5 (games of chance), Charm 5 (being witty), Folk Ken 4 (townsfolk), Guile 5 (elaborate lies), Intrigue 4 (rumormongering), Order of Hermes Lore 3
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

I don't think he's a liar. Maybe tone that down. Also, he isn't literate. Also, I'd adjust MetaCreator to make pg exp of 20/ year. And when did you set his apprenticeship to start? Carouse is probably a tad bit high. He does it to pass the time.

He and Hervé were both at the university together. That is why I gave him Educated.

No, you misunderstand. He's missing Artes Liberales. As you've made him, he can't read.

I'll let Arya finish him up since she is going to play him. He still has 70 points of attributes and needs 2 flaws. I made his Regio Network Standing Stones. So stone circles could fit. I was thinking of the Patrick Rothfuss books Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. They had standing stones which marked old roads but which also could lead to what Ars would call a Regio ( if you knew how to travel them). I think Gift of Tongues is bit much with Messenger's Memory but...

[size=150]Renaud[/size]
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre +1, Com +2, Str 0, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik 0
Virtues and Flaws: Lone Redcap, Messenger's Memory, Blood of Heroes, Standing Stones Regio Network*, Gift of Tongues, Educated (50/50), Social Contacts (Choose), Luck (Luck Bonus: +1 to +3), Well Traveled (50/50), Heroic Personality, Black Sheep, Humble
Reputations: Poor Reputation 2, Bad Reputation 2
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack , Defense +4, Damage
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +3, Defense +3, Damage +0
Kick: Init: 1, Attack +3, Defense +2, Damage +3
Soak: +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: French 5, Latin 4, Athletics 2 (grace), Area Lore: France 3 (Taverns), Etiquette 3 (peasants), Leadership 2 (inspiration), Music 4 (sing), Stealth 3, Scribe 4, Awareness 3 (searching), Bargain 3, Brawl 3 (Dodge), Carouse 4 (games of chance), Charm 5 (being witty), Folk Ken 4 (townsfolk), Guile 3 (elaborate lies), Artes Liberales 3 (logic), Intrigue 4 (rumormongering), Order of Hermes Lore 3
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

I don't think Humble really fits what's been described. Probably needs Major: Lecherous, and Compulsion: Gambling.

What kind of virtue is the "Regio Network"? I really enjoyed the Rothfuss books but can't imagine how that would work out as a virtue :stuck_out_tongue: I could totally see him disappearing for years on end to shack up with Felurian, though. (BTW, my pet theory is that Bast is Kvothe's son by Felurian. I bet you five pawns of vis that "Reshi" means "Father.")

He can travel via regios that are connected to standing stones. One of the NPCs that shows up in Mons Electi has this virtue for Magic Caves. They can travel between regios that end in magic caves. So he could travel to Stonehenge without taking a boat.

[size=150]Renaud[/size]
Characteristics: Int 0, Per +2, Pre +1, Com +3, Str 0, Sta 0, Dex 0, Qik +2
Virtues and Flaws: Blood of Heroes, Magical Blood (Loki: Com +1), Enchanting Music, Free Expression, Composer of Power, Lone Redcap, Mythic Mimicry, Standing Stones Regio Network*, Gift of Tongues, Lightning Reflexes, Social Contacts: Merchants, Luck, Improved Characteristics; Well Traveled* (50/50)
Heroic Personality, Black Sheep, Reckless (major), Compulsion: Gambling
Reputations: Unreliable (Mercere) -2, Quirky and Lovable Antihero (Descendants of Norse dieties) +3
Abilities: French 5, Latin 4, Area Lore: France 3 (Taverns), Artes Liberales 3 (logic), Athletics 2 (grace), Awareness 3 (searching), Bargain 3, Brawl 3 (Dodge), Carouse 4 (games of chance), Charm 3 (being witty), Code of Hermes 2, Enchanting Music 4, Etiquette 2 (peasants), Folk Ken 3 (townsfolk), Guile 4 (elaborate lies), Intrigue 3 (rumormongering), Leadership 2 (inspiration), Magic Theory 2, Music 2 (sing), Order of Hermes Lore 3, Scribe 3, Stealth 3, Survival 2

I'd like something that causes his tongue to appear actually silver sometimes. Suggestions?

Except possibly as a cosmetic effect of a Power of some kind, I don't know what would do the silver-tongue thing.

Should probably have higher combat stats, and IIRC, you want Music to be higher than Enchanting Music, due to the mechanics, but I can't remember off the top of my head why.

True. you need to play the music well before making it enchanting :slight_smile: I would switch it Music 4, Enchanting music 2.

Is Composer of Power the Creo, Rego power?

Being that the blood is Loki, it might be something with fire. I think I was thinking of Odysseus when I first made him. Also a very intelligent "trickster". I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "god" as a Blood of heroes. I'll pull up Hrólfr Kraki saga to see if anyone might fit.

I looked this up (since Cygna has Enchanting Music) and, unless there's something in one of the supplements I'm not remembering, you don't. You just need to roll against your Music score to be sure you perform well (singing, playing the harp, blowing the flute, what have you) well, but there's nothing in either description that makes one result dependent upon the other. You just need to perform well to pull off the Enchanting part, but your Enchanting Music result isn't capped by your Music roll.

In practice, most of the pagan gods end up as Magic or Faerie beings anyhow. He's not descended of an actual god, since there's only one of those in Mythic Europe; he's descended of some magical entity that roamed around Scandinavia, that impressed the mundies such that they called him a god :slight_smile:

Fire seems a good idea. I was thinking mostly of Low Key Lyesmith when I revised the character sheet.

It was already a Mythic Companion; Renaud was Blood of Heroes before I asked if I could play a Redcap.

Granted, moving to Loki as the source of his blood instead of Odysseus is a pretty big personality change-- honestly I just found Homer interminably tedious and I don't have a good feel for playing an Odyssean descendant. Odysseus was only somewhat interesting in the context of trying to get home. What did he do during the war? Cheated at dice. Which, while fun, isn't the basis of heroism IMO. I love the ambiguity in the Loki figure (who was a demigod, but then, so were most of the Greek heroes). Loki brought about the destruction of the gods, but that was necessary so humans could thrive. And sure, he killed Baldr, but all he did was sit around and look pretty, so that guy had it coming.

Loki could be fire, or guile/intrigue, that kind of things.

Note, though: as far as I can see, Composer of Power is useless to him, since, it allows one to create a "song allows the character that learns it to replicate the effect of a single Power that the composer character knows" (power being, afaiu, a Power virtue from RoP: M.
=> You should either drop it, or select one or more appropriate power.