concerning evading final twillight

It's a very fine line, perhaps too fine to do in a game. Does someone who is working to claim souls for Hell get a chance at redemption?

veryhelpful but what about this?

twillight avoidance stamina+ concentration+vim form bonus + stress die vs warping score + number of warping points gained + enigmatic wisdon +local aura + stress die

by the way vim form bonus means vim/5 right? includingvirtues i assume

this math seems to imply that botch dice aside being in any aura increases thechance of warping. also is 10 botch dice the limit? i assume other circumstances can affect it.
"

Is the bold aura because you think it should be something different? It's the aura, period, no matter where.

The vim form bonus is your vim score/5. I'm not sure what virtues you are thinking of, but Puissant does not apply, as it isn't be "used" just as I wouldn't use it in determining magic resistance.

But yeah, the higher the order, the more likely you are to enter Twilight if you do botch. There isn't a limit to botch dice.

Not too fine at all. "As you dispel her magics and strike the sacrificial dagger from her hand, the witch cries out for mercy and begs that she be allowed to seek absolution, for she fears the fires of Hell. What do you do? Is her repentance sincere, or is she planning to escape and murder more unbaptized babies?"

And who are you to judge her?

ok,seriously is sth wrong with the forums? ive gotten in this situation severa times. i post sth and poof it's gone!. its maddening

any way..

what i meant is this. let's say i roll for twillight avoidance in a magic aura of 5. so 5 points are removed right>? it's easier to avoid in there or harder?

then i roll the same in a faerie divine and infernal aura. the faerie would help with avoidance a little (but would hurt me if i botched a spell) the other 2 especially the divine would make entering twillight more likely.

a divine supernatural ability would be helped ina divine aura. but it would not help with my hermetic magic unless i acquires holy magic or sth similar. right??

ok,seriously is sth wrong with the forums? ive gotten in this situation severa times. i post sth and poof it's gone!. its maddening

any way..

what i meant is this. let's say i roll for twillight avoidance in a magic aura of 5. so 5 points are removed right>? it's easier to avoid in there or harder?

then i roll the same in a faerie divine and infernal aura. the faerie would help with avoidance a little (but would hurt me if i botched a spell) the other 2 especially the divine would make entering twillight more likely.

a divine supernatural ability would be helped ina divine aura. but it would not help with my hermetic magic unless i acquires holy magic or sth similar. right??

Might be something up with the forum. I don't know. I haven't had any issue with posting stuff, but you're not the first to mention having a problem recently.

To answer your question, no, you do not remove the aura because your twilight happens in a magic aura. You add, no matter the realm, the magnitude of the aura to the roll. Realm interaction rules for determining penalties do not apply here. Magic is beyond your control, the power (magnitude) of the aura is making it more difficult to bring the magic under control.

For good or bad, guilty or innocent, who is to judge? God doesn't punish pragmatism. Just burn the witch. God will know his own and redeem the repentant.

Why is that pragmatic? Sounds self-righteous and sinful to me.

Getting back to the point of the thread, I may have missed it, but there is another way to evade final twilight for a long time, yes? If I maximize my "control" roll and am a little lucky, I can still "come back", even when my Warping Score is ten, right? Heck, I could "come back" with a Warping Score of fifteen, if my rolls are good, if I understand the equation correctly.

In theory, yes. However, to determine the duration of a Twilight you compare:
(Intelligence + stress die) vs. (Warping Score + stress die)
and reduce the time spent in Twilight only if the first quantity exceeds the second. So, if your Warping score is 10, to avoid Eternal Twilight you have to beat with Intelligence + stress die a target that is 10 + stress die. Even with an Intelligence of +5, your chances are 10% or so -- unless you spend confidence/faith, in which case you could stand a fair chance. Nonetheless, any such situation is a brush with Eternity, and it's highly unlikely that any magus could keep facing them on a regular basis.

Ah, but what could we stack on that roll? True Faith is real easy to pump up, and stack. Holy Items can just add to it, and pilgrimages can increase it quickly. Shouldn't be hard for a motivated Magi to get a 7 or 8 in True Faith by the time Final Twillight is an issue. Enigmatic Wisdom affects that roll as well, right? Items of Quality, maybe? A Crown of Alabaster gives a +4 to Mental Clarity, a +2 to Wisdom...... Charmed Life? (I would swear there's a virtue called "Luck of Heroes", but I can't find it.) What else could we do to stack that number? Also, I would swear one of the Heroic Virtues allows a roll to be re-rolled once a day. That would be real helpful. Anything else like that in canon?

Heck, to tie into other threads, this could explain all the Supernatural and Hermetic Virtues in canon, given how hard OR is for NPCs, if we assume that the Virtues learned in Twillight get more impressive and/or obscure the higher your Warping score. Mage has a Warping score of 10+ and rides it! What great Mystery has he brought back? (And this is not an academic idea, Crimon go into Twillight for fun. They have a spell for that, in canon......).

Uh, well. At least in our sagas, True Faith is quite a bit rarer than the Gift (I think it says so somewhere). It's not something that you acquire just because it's handy, and that you "pump up" :slight_smile: It transfigures the character, and the Divine can take it away any time as a Test of Faith.

No.
More precisely, it adds to the comprehension roll (to see if you understand the Twilight and get a good experience) but then it gets subtracted to see if that same roll results in a shorter Twilight (so it's technically stress die + Intelligence + Enigmatic Wisdom - Enigmatic Wisdom).

I wouldn't allow it. Remember, Items of Quality give a bonus when they are used in an appropriate manner. It's not enough that you have a relevant Shape & Material bonus, the item must be functional to the task at hand (so a silver necklace of quality will not allow you claim the bonus to harm lycanthropes - unless you are, say, attempting to strangle one with it).

Charmed Life would yield a reroll, but only if the original roll was a 0 (it does help a lot to prevent magic botches in the first place, but not nearly as much to reduce Twilight duration). Also, it's a Major Virtue, and it's a Heroic Virtue, so a magus would need the Legacy story Flaw or the Mythic Blood Virtue to even take it.

Well, there are a number of exotic traditions that would allow you to modify your roll. It's actually easier to access those than to gain True Faith. Still, it's not what the "standard" magus would have at his disposal.

I was under the impression that what you obtained from Twilight (good, AND bad) got more impressive the higher the number of Warping points gained during that episode, but was relatively independent from the actual Warping Score.

Ah, an "appropriate manner" is quite fuzzy. A crown is to be worn, and certainly "Wisdom" affects Twillight. As you said with your example, the bonus is the purpose. There is no "Job" that has uses a necklace to strangle WereWolves, but there are Jobs that use necklaces, and so you can enchant a silver-handed necklace to strangle WereWolves.....

As to the rest of it, we are not talking about "Probable", we are talking about "Possible". It is possible for a Mage to have "True Faith", and if a player is worried about Final Twillight, it is something you can acquire just because it's handy (At Character Creation, of course! In game is, as you say, real tricky....).

So, what are these "Exotic Traditions", and how can we use them to built the perfect build to survive Twillight? (Which is, after all, the point of this post!)