Convention of the Redcaps (Autumn 1230)

No problem
When I said that the delegates arrive Monday, I mean that this coming Monday I will begin the next phase of this thread :slight_smile:
Get well soon

Before I get too carried away with my speechifying, I just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding a couple of things about the Mercere House.

Was the Mercere House in the Covenant proper, or was it the house down in the village? And if it was in the Covenant, which tower was it most of? (The map is numbered, but no key). I suspect that it's the one at the top, that has 24-27, but it could be 20 or 23 also (on the left)

If it is part of the Castle, is it situated in such an area that it can be not part of the Covenant's Aegis casting?

Vulcanus will offer to cast Conjuring the Mystic Tower if new facilities are desired.

If we share an Aegis, though, the annual casting cost could be split between the covenant and Mercere, yes?

After the normal pre-meeting pleasantries are out of the way, Fédora gets straight to business.

[color=blue]"As I'm sure most of you are aware, we will be hosting a conclave of Redcaps in a few weeks. I expect the main point of discussion will be establishing a Mercere House. Traditionally, there has been a Mercere House here, and I feel it would be in both of our interests to keep it here. And, ideally, I think if we were to present the other Redcaps with a strong, well thought-out agreement in principle, if not a contract to be signed, then they would be hard pressed to put it anywhere else.

"I believe the fact that the Mercere House, and Andorra, withstood such a devastating attack as it did last year with minimal damage. No doubt due in large part to the noble sacrifice of the Andorran Guard.

"While I would like to say that I will do everything in my power to keep the Mercere House here, I will not go so far as to let us negotiate that is detrimental to the House. Nor would I want one that is detrimental to our Covenant.

"To begin. I think it should go without saying that the Mercere House, while it may be located on the grounds of Andorra Covenant, is not subject to the Council's governance. It is, and will ever be, a separate entity. It will not, however, be another Covenant. Therefore, it is quite conceivable that I or Tiana could serve as steward, or serve on the House's council, without jeopardizing our position as Masters here."

[color=blue]"I would propose that our rent would be 1/10th of what we make in the fees for magi using the Mercere's Portals that will be built here. Fees for Masters or higher of the Covenant that we would normally collect, that is, for use of our Portal, would be waived, as a gesture of good will.

"We would also give preference to Andorra for magical items crafted for our Redcaps. I know we have magi here whose work is already superlative," she says with a smile at Vulcanus, [color=blue]"and others who I am sure our redcaps will be honored to use their items, in time." She smiles at the rest of the magi. [color=blue]"But I see no reason not to keep the work local.

"Speaking of locals. I know that we are still rebuilding the Andorran Guard, but I would like it if you would provide a squad for the House's protection."

She looks at Tiana. [color=blue]"What am I forgetting?"

((Yes, but part of me would like Andorra and the Mercere House to be protected by a separate Aegis if possible. Don't know why, it just seems like it would preserve the Mercere House's autonomy, in a way.))

Vulc just beams. The smile on his face, compared to his usual brooding, it's a difference like the sun coming out for the first time on a cloudy day.

Tiana clears her throat. "I would like to add the stipulation that the 10% rent would be on the profit we make from the Mercere Portals; which is to say, to begin once the cost of the portals has been recouped."

Vibria smiles and nods thoughtfully, but says nothing.

The map is not entirely accurate. But it is a good start. Imagine we have the same general shape, but the layout of the internal buildings would be slightly different. I never bothered keying the map because I just wanted to leave it to imagination. And so I am imagining...
:laughing:
I imagine the Mercere Quarter is the SW quadrant, starting at tower 20, hooking around along the wall to tower 12.
24-27 ius the bulk of the main covenant, our meeting hall and etcetera. Carmens sanctum is one of those towers, the library is the other.
Tower 23 needs to be repaired or replaced. The top got blown off when Carmen's old lab exploded several years ago.
So it is within the castle. As for not including it in the Aegis, I am not sure why you would want that. It leaves a whole corner wall undefended, and I don't know how we would walk that path.
I suppose I should read your speech to grasp what you are thinking :slight_smile:

Vulc volunteers to replace it, if the expenditure of 7 pawns of vis is worth the time and resources we save by not repairing the existing tower mundanely. (He's definitely a bit of a spendthrift when it comes to vis. Not just his own vis, but ALL vis.)

Carmen shakes her head.
I need to think. But I don't like the idea of their having that much autonomy. You can, and you are of them. The covenant takes on Redcap members, and they in turn host Redcap guests.
And for rents, I dunno. I want cash. These portals, which is a whole 'nother issue, do not exist yet. And certainly we would want to juice vis out of that deal, if it comes to that. But otherwise we don't need their vis. I would rather they pay cash. Hard silver. It has symbolism, and covers the cost of food and supplies for them.
I am more concerned with the fringe benefits. The even vis exchange rates, shared staffing, deals on circulating tractate. Stuff like that.

Figuring 1 pawn of Form vis equals 12lbs of silver, that's 84lbs worth of vis. And I estimate that the job would normally cost several hundred, the ritual is cheaper.
But we have to tear the old one down first. Can we slate that for 1232?

Tiana raises her hand meekly. When it becomes clear it is okay for her to speak, she does so softly. "I can see both benefits and drawbacks to maintaining separate aegises. The benefits are that, with separate aegises, Andorra will not have to worry about keeping track of who is or isn't lodging at the Mercer House. That could be a major security risk, if--" her voice trails off, "...Actually, it might have already caused a breach of security." Her face pales. "With as much traffic as the Mercer House here gets, it would be very simple to overlook who might be bringing magic items within the covenant walls. Such items would function without hindrance after the next winter solstice, when they have been included in the Aegis ritual." She gulps. "Which would mean..." her voice trails off to an inaudible whisper.

She pauses a moment in thought, with an increasingly horrified look on her face, but she quickly shakes herself and clears her throat. "As to the drawbacks... Obviously it costs twice as much vis to cast two aegises compared to one, but because an Aegis affects a distinct Hermetic boundary--" she looks at Fedora apologetically, because she's not sure whether the other Redcap understands Magic Theory-- "it would also incur the additional cost of building ourselves new facilities outside of the castle. Not only does that cost us time, labor, and supplies, but it also leaves us poorly defended. We certainly cannot afford to build a second castle, and while I have no experience in military matters, it seems to me that being inside castle walls is better than being outside them."

"So with these things in mind, I would propose that the Lodge remains within the castle, and continues to share a single Aegis with the covenant... but we would be well advised to acquire a magic device by which we can quickly check visitors for magic items before inviting them within the walls. If Andorra would be willing to provide such an item to the Mercer Lodge," her eyes dart between Vulcanus and Solomon, as she tries to imagine which of them would be better suited for such an item, "I would think we can commit to ensuring that every visitor is searched for magic items, prior to allowing entry."

"I think it would also be fair to offer an arrangement wherein Mercere Mercurians cast the Aegis. Because the Aegis will be protecting a Mercer Lodge, House Mercere should provide this service at no cost, though the vis for the ritual would be provided by Andorra. But, bear in mind that, if cast by our Mercurians, Andorra would have a tenth-magnitude Aegis for only 5 pawns per annum."

I think I can make a lesser magic device that moves around stone. If necessary I could put such an effect in my talisman, which adds an extra +31 to my ReTe lab totals at the expense of making the effect 10 levels higher (Elder Runes). My talisman has plenty of vis capacity, and being able to move around stone at will is a pretty good utility. Anyway, once I've got an item to move stone magically, I can tear down an old tower in no more than a day or two.

[color=blue]"Of course," Fédora says with a smile. Not a condescending smile, but one of appreciation.

[color=blue]"Perhaps an agreement to pay in vis, which the Covenant will take the cash equivalent if they prefer?"

[color=blue]"I think, perhaps, we can offer the Council the same rates on an exchange of vis that we offer in-house. And shared staffing seems reasonable. Perhaps guards that serve both Andorra and the Mercere House will have their salaries paid half and half. I'm not quite sure what you mean by deals on circulating tractatus, though."

((Do you mean one pawn of Form is worth £12, or worth as much as twelve pounds of silver?))

Fédora, when she sees Tiana's timidness, gives her an encouraging hand gesture under the table where none but her fellow Redcap can see.

As Tiana speaks, Fédora nods approvingly. [color=blue]"Excellent points, Tiana, and ones I hadn't thought to consider. Especially concerning the efforts we will all have to make to ensure none of our covenant's enemies catch us unawares."

I might be totally wrong (maybe it's just something I heard on the internet) but doesn't the GBP take its name because, originally, "one pound" was the value, literally, of sixteen ounces of silver?

((Couldn't remember if this was still the case as far as the Mythic Pound goes. But for the most part, yeah. Stupid question, I keep forgetting that even though £1 ≠ 1 lb. today, that wasn't the case Back in the Day.))

Tiana looks embarrassed at the praise. "Well, let's make this a formal proposal, then:
The covenant of Andorra will continue receiving the same exchange rate they currently enjoy; Andorra will provide the vis for an Aegis which will protect the castle, but House Mercere offers the services of our own Mercurians to cast it at no cost to Andorra; We will pay a rent equal to 10% of the profits the Mercer Lodge makes on Portal traffic, to be paid in silver on the winter solstice for the previous year, measured at a rate of £12 per pawn of Vim vis*; Andorra will provide us with a device by which we may check travellers for magic items, for which Mercere will provide half again the vis cost of crafting said item, and in exchange for which we pledge to monitor all our traffic for foreign magic items brought within our shared Aegis."

"I propose further that we explicitly state that Andorra will collect no tax on our profits on mundane hospitality; this will give us something to pitch to our housemates that let them feel as though we've scored a major bargain."

"If they are still not satisfied with that, then as a last resort we can take up Sir Vulcanus on his offer of providing two seasons per cycle** of service in crafting items for our House, though if we accept your offer of free labor, we will risk causing them to feel as though Andorra is desperate to keep us here, and then they may want more. I propose instead that we offer to compensate him for this work at a discounted salary equal to the one-half the vis value of the item crafted, or five pawns of Form vis, whichever is greater. Getting a Verd--Valdarian to work for half of standard profit will make the rest of our House think we are very shrewd negotiators indeed."

"And finally, we will ensure that all visible damage to the covenant is repaired by the time the delegates arrive, so as not to raise any suspicion regarding the safety of having a Lodge at this location."

"Is that amenable to everyone?"

• It runs in my mind the standard exchange rate is £15 = 1 pawn of vis, but I can't find it anywhere now that I'm looking for it. Tiana knows whatever is the standard silver-to-vis exchange rate, and whatever is standard is what she said.
    **Actually, Vulc originally offered a single season at no fee as a one-time deal, but I rolled to see if he remembered, and botched. Then I rolled a Folk Ken to see if he caught the lie and got a -1. Captain Oblivious!

(Sorry guys, I was traveling yesterday and couldn't respond. Fortunately Ryu has summed it all up. :slight_smile:)

Vocis: I have a concern about this aspect. In light of recent events, I'd rather not have anyone outside the covenant casting our Aegis. Note this is not intended as a slight against the Mercurians or House Mercere itself. I'd make the same objection if my own House made such an offer. He looks around the room with a smile that says 'And so would all of you.' Every magus who has free rein of our Aegis weakens the security of our covenant. Call it paranoid if you will, but the events of 1229 suggest some paranoia is in order. To my mind, the vis savings is not worth the risk.

Other than my Aegis objection, yes.

Per the sidebar on Covenants p. 69, 'a reasonable rule of thumb for a typical saga' is 10 pounds per pawn, though it also says the exchange rate varies widely depending on any number of factors.

Carmen tents her fingers as she considers.
I also do not want outsiders casting or participating in our Aegis. I also insist that rents be paid in hard cash and based on a fixed flat rate. The idea of their creating a portal network here, that is a separate issue and will need to be negotiated separately.

The tractatus thing, I thought that was in True Lineages somewhere but I cannot find it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Redcaps are responsible for copying and distributing tractate throughout the Order. A healthy library would have a core summae collection, for they could be used indefinitely (especially considering writing and studying Commentaries). But tractate need to be renewed and exchanges constantly. The Mercere activities in the past have primarily centered on merchants & bankers and librarians & scribes and the occasional magus.