Covenant development discussions

Yes, certainly, a lesser enchanted device that has a handful of uses per day would be sufficient for all of our reading (it'd be below level 20 modified effect). There are other methods, too. Mostly I was just thinking of general ways to make sure we don't destroy our library.

It would also be interesting to know how difficult it would be to repair books and if mundane can do It. If vis is scarce it makes money less valuable.

Mundanes cannot, by themselves, repair Hermetic books because of their magical nature, in the same way as they cannot copy them.

An effect similar to Doublet would grant +3 to the roll. Over time, however, the book may pick up some warping (4 seasons under the effect = 1 point of warping). Fractions will be tracked, like it is for character xp.

I presume the book's Warping Score would reduce its Quality?

No, warping would do... something different. Probably not the same for all books. Remember that books are magical in themselves. So think Harry Potter. :grin:

Edit: Hmmm... maybe books that were infused with vis may gain warping instead of suffering damage. That might be fun.

And I'm the one learning animalem i'm screwed :sweat_smile:

I actually really like Warped stuff like in Harry Potter. Sometimes I've taken to enchanting things a little extra just to get some interesting stuff like that. I don't want to mess up my labs, but other than that it's all fun. Well, I guess a Warping Score in a lab isn't so disastrous, but I generally want to know exactly what I'm getting.

Is this the route we should take?

Splitting 3 seasons makes things complicated...Can't we just say what book we made and assume If there was duplicates we traded them for books of equal value but different interests ? Maybe picked by SG ?

Ok, let's keep it simple then. Each of you go with your choices. Ones who state their choice first just go ahead, later ones can pay attention to what's already there, or not.

Can a scribe help a magus copying laboratory text ?

Yes, at Profession: Scribe minus 2, same as for books.

Emericus will spend 2 seasons carefully copying a lvl20 Summa and a season copying Lab text. He does not need help from a scribe ( scribe 3(Hermetic text)). He can spend one of his RP on vis and infuse the summa with 1 pawn. Not sure about he other 3

I am tempted to spend the 3rd season starting copying another Summa and try to finish it later.

I don't recall that being one of the specialties SG allowed. SG stopped me from taking it. There is a list in the house rule section on Scribe.

Also, we'll want to specify the subject so subsequent players can choose accordingly.

You could get 2 pawns for the same text to get that Quality boost. You could also take 2 pawns for the remaining summa, which could be level 10.

Indeed, Hermetic texts is too general for a specialty in Profession: Scribe.

Sorry. Should be scribe 3(Copying). The Hermetic text was in my head for the 1xp specialty

Depending on your interest in penetration,finesse, concentration, magic lore or even faery lore these can also be a solution, with the lvl 5 limit you can get 2 in one season.

I'm considering fast copying on my own 3 lvl 20 summa and use the pawns increase their level (2 pawn on one of them and 1 pawn on rest)

@Arthur any idea what number of books you'll add ? The fewer the number of books you provide the more tempting it is to fast copy.

Hmmm. Magic Lore I like. I can do Magic Lore and Finesse for 2 ability Summa.

I will decide on my Art Summa today. Need to think about it.

I'm considering Intelligo, Muto and animal.

Techniques are to everyone's benefits and I don't see anyone except me making the animal one...

I'd love to have all techniques and vim.

[edit] corporem would also be nice

We multiply Ability levels by 5, right?

No idea yet. I will see what you all come up with and try to round out the library.

But things I add will probably be of lower levels, damaged copies, poor base quality, etc. I kind of expect that you concentrate on summae, so I may throw in a number of tractatus for odd abilities.