Detecting mundane things wielded by a magus

Speculation on an enchanted sword I'm planning to make.

I intend to have an InTe effect in it, to detect incoming swords, linked to an effect to deflect them. If the mundane sword in question is wielded by a magus, would my InTe effect need to penetrate his parma? I suspect yes...

That would presumably also go for weapons wielded by beings of Might. Hmm.

And would a metal sword mutoed into, say, bone, still respond to a ReTe effect? Or would that only respond to ReAn ?

I agree

Using the shape changing rules in the Bjornaer chapter for inspiration I'd say yes now the target can be affected by either rego animal or rego terram.

I disagree.. .. parma has never affected weapons .. that's something that's a bonus only talismans get.. so why would it suddenly have to penetrate his parma?

It's not an InMe recognising intent or such.. it's just detecting incoming metal objects, which as they're not protected by parma, wouldn't need to penetrate.

So extending parma to your shield grog wouldn't protect his weapon and shield from being trivially PeTe'ed by the neighbourhood Angry Flambeau Magus, either ?

Yup, as per the rules. We have always ruled more in the Dune Shield kind of appreoach, where there is an area protected by the parma. It takes some of the supposed advantages of talismans out, but is more sensible to this kind of issues. Each one his own. This alternative approach works for us :slight_smile:

Xavi

Right. House rule it is, then. Weapons/shields/held non-living objects are protected by parma. With that house rule, my enchanted sword will have the limitation of working less-than-well against a hermetic magus (which might not be a bad idea, in case it gets lost). scribble Thanks! :slight_smile:

And Erik, I agree with your "affected by both forms" interpretation of mutoed objects.

I seem to remember a line in the Flambeau chapter of HoH: S where they say that a mundane sword held by a magical creature wouldn't be affected by parma. I'd say this work in reverse, the sword woulnd't be protected by the creature's MR.

Would things work the same way with Parma? Maybe. A mundane weapon held by an enchanted magus (say, with Endurance of the Berserkers) won't be protected by parma, but won't be affected by it either.

Has nobody seen the raw on this?

The rules for Magic Resistance are one and the same whether it comes from Might or Parma Magica. Mundane swords held by a spell-boosted grog aren't warded by Parma.

As far as I remember the RAW (serf's parma) you cannot use an effect of an item to do fast-casting. I would rule that responding to incoming swords defenitely counts as fast-casting. Thus I would not allow this item to be created.

Sensing an item carried by a magus with parma is a diffucult question on MR.
I would rule parma magica beeing a mystical effect and therefor your own parma keeps everything out beeing protected by a parma itself. But then: What is the penetration of the parma? Maybe one can build up a parma using a lesser score to get a penetration for one's parma. This could be 5 x points not used to build up a parma + penetration skill. Otherwise it would be your penetration skill only.
This way whenever a magus tries to punch another it will most likely happen nothing as the attack stucks in the victim's parma. I could live with that.
The important question is whether or not a sword carried by a magus is part of his parma magica. I would rule that all things carried by the magus when conducting the ritual of parma magica are protected by his parma. This stops when he puts them aside. Thus a sword carried while raising the parma is protected. Regardless whether it was in the scabbard or in the hand of the magus. Any sword picked up later would not, and would not be resisted by MR. This would work just like the rules for invisible magi as presented in HoH: S.
Any creature with might always picks up a weapon, thus they are never proteced by their might score. By the way, the physical attack of a creature with might is nor resisted by MR as mentioned in the RAW. This is the fundamental difference between parma and might.

A magus punch is a mundane punch. And magical resistance from parma does not make you magical.
So, the punch hits, parma or not.

Oh? Sword hitting sword would be a perfectly fine trigger condition, IMO. Why wouldn't "sensing incoming sword via magic" be?

[WolfOfCampscapel]Oh? Sword hitting sword would be a perfectly fine trigger condition, IMO. Why wouldn't "sensing incoming sword via magic" be?

I agree that any effect like PeTe can betriggered by an action like sword hitting sword and send the oponenet's sword into oblivion. However, to use "sense incoming attack" (InTe) to trigger an effect in defence like deflecting it with a magically animated sword would be treated as fast casting IMO.

[The Fixer] A magus punch is a mundane punch. And magical resistance from parma does not make you magical.
So, the punch hits, parma or not.
Hm, Ok. If the parma is no mystical effect I agree with you. Thinking further this sounds much better as you do not get warped by it.

Why.. exactly, would it be fast casting?.. is the question.. this is just something the item automatically triggers whenever it spots a sword incoming or such.. it's not being triggered by a mage.. but then.. I dislike the whole 'no fast casting for items' bit anyway.. as.. it makes no sense whatsoever.. saying a command word for a wand and firing it is a lot easier than having to shape a whole spell on the fly

FluffySquirrel wrote:
Why.. exactly, would it be fast casting?.. is the question.. this is just something the item automatically triggers whenever it spots a sword incoming or such.. it's not being triggered by a mage.. but then.. I dislike the whole 'no fast casting for items' bit anyway.. as.. it makes no sense whatsoever.. saying a command word for a wand and firing it is a lot easier than having to shape a whole spell on the fly

Well, I would rule this as fast casting since it takes magical measures against an imminent threat to avoid a situation.
However, I don't know why fast casting for items is prohibited. Maybe it is unbalancing the game when you do so, as no -10 penalty can be imposed on wielding a wand as no dice is rolled. This also means no extra botch dice as well. This might make enchanted items much more powerful.
Well, that's something my Verditus definitely likes :stuck_out_tongue:
But as SG I would disapprove :cry:
[/quote]

That's why I'd allow items that are linked effects with various Intellego spells to just work whenever they should be triggered by it.. .. possibly as a compensation for the bizarre not being able to use quickly ^^

This sounds reasonable. As there seems to be no RAW about this topic, I think each troupe shoud decide on their own.
[/quote]