Dipping my toe into character creation

Faerie-Raised Magic lets you buy spells with XPs, basically. Meaning you can learn spells during stories. It's not exactly spontaneous magic (as you actually learn the spells), but it has better penetration and certainly likely to be less hard on Fatigue than L-LSM.

This is up to your troupe/SG. See Kid Gloves comment above.
Rule of thumb though, not before you have 3 (for minor virtues) or 6 (for major virtues) in your cult lore.
And calling Theurgy spntaneous is maybe stretching it a tad...

As far as mundane naming conventions go, I tend to get all of mine from the Academy of Saint Gabriel, which has a lot of stuff on, not only what names are period for whatever time-frame and region you're looking at, but also how names are constructed. Patronymics, matronymics, et cetera. They tend to be pretty reliable (I first found them when I was a regional herald in the SCA.)

So, I took a shot at creating Sephriel, but 5 years after his apprenticeship:

Name: Sephriel of Merinita

Age 27 (Apprenticed from age 7-22)

Virtues
Deidne Magic (Major, Hermetic)
Spell Timing (Minor)
Charm Magic (Minor)
Arcadian Travel (Minor)
Spell Improvisation (Minor)
Skilled Parens (Minor)
Apt Pupil (Minor)
Affinity with Muto (Minor)
Faerie Magic (Minor)

Flaws
Magic Addiction (Major)
Ambitious (Major)
Poor Formulaic Magic (Minor)
Blatant Gift (Major)
Dark Secret: Diedne Lineage (Extra)

Characteristics
Intelligence +1
Perception -1
Strength -2
Stamina +3
Presence +2
Communication +2
Dexterity -2
Quickness +1

Abilities
Native Language (German)
Charm 2
Folk Ken 2
Guile 2
Concentration 3
Artes Liberales 1
Latin 4
Magic Theory 3
Faerie Magic 4
Parma Magica 2
Merinita Lore 4

Arts
Techniques
Creo 10
Muto 12

Forms
Imaginem 10
Ignem 9
Herbam 4
Vim 7
Mentem 3

Spells
CrHe: Trap of the Entwining Vines (Level 15)
MuHe: Transformation of the Thorny Staff (Level 10)
CrIg: Pilum of Fire (Level 20)
CrIm: Phantasmal Animal (Level 20)
MuIm: Disguise of the Transformed Image (Level 15)
CrMe: Panic of the Trembling Heart (Level 15)
CrVi: The Phantom Gift (Level 15)
MuVi: Mirror of Opposition (Level 15)
MuVi: Wizard's Boost (Level 15)
MuVi: Wizard's Reach (Level 10)

The reason for all the higher level formulaic spells is for use with spell improvisation, really.

Also, I had a new idea for a character concept, a magus whose path to power is to summon and consume demons, rationalizing it as being good for the world overall by eliminating evil demons, while trying to keep the exact details of his growth (ablation) a secret. While I'm pretty sure that Summoning and Ablation are virtues needed to start with, Dark Secret a Flaw, and Summoning and Ablation as the primary arts at chargen, I don't really know what else to do with making him, such as characteristics, and remaining virtues and flaws. Any thoughts on Sephriel, or the consumer of demons?

Virtues and Flaws don't balance. You've got 9 points of virtues + free house virtue, and 10 points of flaws. I'm guessing you counted Faerie Magic against his virtue limit. :slight_smile:

Well, on the bright side, better to make a mistake that way than to have it be the other way around. Any ideas for what to put for that last virtue point? Another minor mystery virtue for merinita? Something to boost spontaneous casting a tad?