Do faeries gamble?

I said "more medievally" - I never said exclusively medievally. But the 5th ed Faeries supplement requires the reader to work pretty hard - between all the stuff about faeries being embodied stories and the Babylonian Goddess who kicks off the bestiary - to find anything which is based in the European middle ages.

For example, at the moment I'm putting together a story for my players based on legends of Thirwall Castle and the borderlands tradition of faerie ointments and penalties for thieving such. These are, of course, modern recorded stories, and in the recorded tellings there are plenty of elements which seem post-medieval (e.g. the modern folk tradition's motif of "returned from Crusade" as a convenient hand-wave for anything alien), and it is an interesting in trying to dial back to a time which we have few references from and a skewed understanding of. But the stories are, at least, consistent in feel with the texts we do have from the high middle ages (I'm thinking of Walter Map and Gerald of Wales, for example), and both these modern folk traditions and the medieval reference points are absolutely viable under the 4th ed rules. Trying to make them work with the 5th ed supplement is just pointless - how is any of this consistent with, or improved by focusing on, ideas like cognisance? It isn't. Whenever I try to look at a medieval or later faeries story as a source for an Ars Magica plot, the 5th ed supplement is both irrelevant and unhelpful.

But you're right. It is its own thing. It is a modern fantasy creation which is now part of cannon, and so, sure, my desire to have more medieval faeries is out of step with canonical Ars.

It is a while since I read the Sandman series, but isn't the whole thing basically about embodied stories whose essential nature is to act out their narrative function (e.g. Abel being killed over and over by Cain, The Corinthian being a serial killer because that's how he was built, etc.)? Basically The Dreaming is a realm of stories, where stories come to life and do their story thing? Isn't it?

That was where I was getting confused. Many of the dreams do act like that, in proscribed roles. But the Sandman comic also occasionally had faeries in it (some prominent roles), that didn't act like that.

In ArM5 this is an issue of RoP:F p.52 Cognizance. Knowledge about changes of roles, and how to do them, is rare among ArM5 Faeries - but it does exist.

If I may?

I believe 5th edition Faeries are more a tool for the GM, describing what happens behind the curtain, in order to help generate stories.

Now, the shape of these stories vary with time and space, and so, I believe that you probably can have perfectly medieval-acting faeries (whatever that is) operating "behind the scenes" as 5th Ed ones.

6 Likes