Do Hermes/Mercere Portals inflict Warping?

So, let's follow this line further: If it needs to penetrate magic resistance, then it causes warping. A surface created via temporary Creo magic would need to penetrate (though not for falling damage alone). So standing on such a surface without magic resistance causes warping. Is that right?

I wouldn't play that everything that needs to penetrate causes warping. As such, I wouldn't use the condition of penetration to determine if something warps.

Chris

If it fails to penetrate , you simply stand/fall/lie on the magically created surface.
page 85 , ArM 05:

page 86 , ArM 05:

Sorry, Ravenscroft, but I don't understand the point of your quotes at all. As I said, unless it penetrates you'll at most suffer falling damage. Take a look at the spikes example for comparison if you're not sure. So let's say you're balancing on a spike, protected by a good Soak if that helps you see the argument. Then you get warping if you have no magic resistance?

Chris

Well ... if I MuTe(He) part of a blank stone wall into a working door, would your Parma prevent you from opening the door and passing through it?
If I PeTe part of a wall away into just a hole in the wall, would your Parma prevent you from walking through the hole?
Hermes Portal is just a door/passage that's been created. It's weird and funky that the two sides of the door are otherwise hundreds of miles apart, but +1 for (barely) Hermetic Magic.

Sorry , i think i misunderstood your argument about the magically created surface , in context.
I don't agree with automatic warping (in all cases) if an effect penetrates either , unless the character is the target of the spell.
Someone without magic resistance would not get warping for standing on a magically created bridge.

The bridge is a very good analogy.

Here's another.
Suppose someone uses ReTe to throw a rock at you (magically guided). If of high enough magnitude, the rock should be warped, since it is affected by powerful magic. Suppose it penetrates. Would you get one too? I may be wrong, but I'd say no. It seems more logical to me that the Target of a spell suffers warping, and only it.
As always, there are surely less cut-clear cases, though.

You also pose a very good question: Are Hermes Portals resisted? Maybe there's an official answer, but, well, noble's parma :wink:

As the effect of the portal is Rego Terram it's somehow altering the earth. If this was likely to warp a target, then it would also have to directly have an effect on the traveller, which means it would need to penetrate the targets magic resistance.

A

If you think that a Hermes Portal is just doing something to the distance between the two locations, then, perhaps it should not need to Penetrate the Magic Resistance of people using it, and perhaps it should not cause Warping. Although, even then, it is hard to see why you could not use a similar argument to say that Pilum of Fire does not need to Penetrate either --- afterall it just creates some fire in a particular location, the fact that your magus is there is incidental.

However, the description of the Hermes Portal does not even read like that, to me. The description talks about transmiting things through the portal, and it talks about activating the portal, in order to affect unwilling or inanimate objects. This smells like something that should be resisted.

If that's what it did, then that's what RAW would say that it does. However, RAW merely says that it is a portal through which things may be transmitted.

Of course not. You cannot resist the absence of wall. Just like if somebody used PeAu to destroy the "breathable" property of air in the room, even a magus with Magic Resistance would suffocate.

However, it somebody used Rego Corpus to teleport you to another location, then Parma would resist it.

Yes the effect is Terram. However it is affecting the traveller. It is transmitting him from one location to another. You can be affected by effects that do not align to your bodily form. For example, a Corpus character can be affected by an Ignem effect --- you can tell because his hair catches fire.

Here, the character is being affected by an effect that moves everything from one location to another. The effect is Terram, because locations are Terram, I guess. You can tell that the character is affected because he moves.

Ah, but the Ignem does not warp him, it burns him. At least, that's how we did it in every saga I've played. No matter how many Balls of Abysmal Flame, Invocations of Lightning, Weaver's Traps of Webs, or Teeth of the Earth Mother you hit someone with, he is the target, not the Target, and he doesn't get warped.

I realize that the rules are not too clear on that, but otherwise everyone that, say, entered a good Aegis of the Hearth would get warping, and everyone under a magically created storm... there would be warping everywhere !

That only works if everyone involved has the Mercurian Magic virtue. As I understand it, at a level 75 spell, that's 15 pawns per gate, with both gates needing to be opened seperately. If, however, you manage to assemble 8 Mercurians, 4 at either end, then yes, it would be 16 pawns. However, half of Mercere's tiny tradition is Mutante.

I'll also repeat again, re: warping, don't forget that ArM5 pegs this as a non-hermetic effect. As a Mercurian ritual, it follows different rules. In this case, I have to say that it enchants the stone and gives no more warping than sitting on a flying carpet or climbing a regio does.

So, you are saying this interpretation is a valid one, nothing in RAW forbids it.

Therefore, it becomes HR territory.

I go with the Magic pulls the two locations together interpretation. Your no more being affected by the magic then if you walk through a hole made by perdo or climb a rope made with creo. The whole command word business is the only confusing part. But I figure that's part of the non-hermetic nature of the spell. The old mercurians put it in so the spell could be turned on as needed. Probably as a security measure to keep just anyone from walking through.

The RAW is that if you are the target of a "powerful" Ignem effect (that is successfully cast and penetrates), then you are warped by it.

BoaF does roast you. Additionally, it gives you some warping as a nice addition to the massice sunburn.

Cheers,
Xavi

Is this what RAW says though? This is a Target-vs.-target issue again. The Target of the Ignem effect (let's say the creation of a huge fire in a town) is the fire itself, not the person it hits. ArM5 page 168 uses lowercase "target" but we know how inconsistent it is on this score. Later that page it gives a flying-castle example that does not Warp people within it; this leads me to think that creating a huge fire that happened to encompass a person would also not Warp that person.

At best, I would say that RAW is indecisive on whether the target of a big Ignem effect is Warped.

So someone with active Parma will bounce against the portal unless it has penetration enough?
:confused:

The RAW doesn't use "target" and "Target" in the sense that you think it does.

Capitalised Target indicates the class of target that is affected by the spell. So, the Target of the spell is Individual. Other possibilities are Room or Group, for example.

The knight that receives a fireball to the head is a target and the created fire-ball itself is a target too. Both non-capitalised.

If your Creo Ignem spell merely created a big fire, and you relied upon the knight to cheerfully walk into this inferno, then yes that spell would not Warp the armour-plated fool, because he was not the target of the spell. He would also not get a chance to resist the spell either --- unless there was an ongoing spell Duration that, say, allowed the fire to continue burning in the absence of fuel.

However, BOAF and similiar do not merely create fire. Such spells create fire (or whatever) that directly, inexorably, and magically at the location of an individual, in this case our hapless knight. Hence, why that knight has an opportunity to use his Magic Resistance to resist the effect, and why it Warps him --- if it affects him.

The knight's squire, standing beside him, certainly feels the heat of the fire, and sees the fire. But he doesn't get Warped because he was not the target of the effect. The flying castle does not warp people within it for exactly the same reason.

Yes.

Which leads to conversations like:
"Why, yes, if you lower all your magical defences we will then activate this portal which will make you disappear and magically travel to the corresponding portal in Stonehenge. You can trust us. We have honest faces."

I like the conversation and the story hook potential it provides but I still don't buy the teleportation explanation. Yes the portal is said to transmit you, but then again a window can be said to transmit a breeze into a room. The breeze moves into the room under it's own power thanks to the presence of the open window.

The Hermes Portal is like the window because willing or unwilling you can't travel through it unless you physically move. Whether you walk, fly or are pushed you must move through the portal the magic doesn't just pick you up and carry you.

Hmmm, window to where? It's not teleportation, it's travel. Perhaps it's travel through the Magic Realm, much like certain Mages can travel through Arcadia. So you don't have to lower your defenses, but you do pick up a warping point from the environment you are traveling through, even though the magic of the portal makes it seem instantaneous. Works for me.

That is inconsistent.

If i create a huge sea of flames targeting a SINGLE person in the middle of it, by your reasoning will NOT produce warping to anyone else who happens to be within the flames.
It also means that if i aim the fire to be around the target, initially not touching(no matter how little), i should get the same damage but no warping.
Im sure i can come up with a bunch of other odd results if i try.

The target of the spell is the fire, aimed at a volume where your target is. Its not aimed at the person, its aimed at the space the person occupies.

Neither was the knight. The fire was THE target. AIMED at the knight. Otherwise you would have to also add +Size to target a larger person.