Enchanted Devices and negative Penetration

Consider me corrected - and surprised!

But there we are:

When the device is used in
a foreign aura, the effective level of that
aura, for penetration purposes, is reduced
by the maga’s Realm Lore ability
at the time the effect was instilled.

So, this Virtue lets your Realm Lore score reduce the effects of the Aura, which very specifically implies that Aura normally modifies device Penetration.
So someome who wrote this was coinvinced that was the case, or perhaps playtesters mentioned it. Maybe there was even a discussion, much like we've had now?
We'll never know, and it really doesn't matter.
Also, it doesn't ruin my game nor any balance issue I can see, so let's just roll with it. Remember that negative Penetration only matters on targets with MR 0 or more. If there is no MR, it's irelevant.
Thank you all, I've enjoyed the discussion.

3 Likes

And it's not just the person who wrote this, as we see that other example with enough penetration to handle its need plus the penalty from a Divine Aura. Or was that the same author?

If you are refering to the device in Through the Aegis for Collem Leonis covenant, I am responsible for that one. But not the rules in Legends of Hermes.
Even though I am not at liberty to divulge any information about the proces behind the books, I can honestly say I can't remember, nor find any sources, as to why the effect 'Aura of Equality' specifically states this.

...Unless they are from different realms. Item's penetration or target MR may well end untied because of different aura effects. So a nice way to increase penetration against faeries is dragging them to infernal auras, where they suffer twice the aura value penalty.

Sure, or cast a spell through an Intangible Tunnel, from the safety of you own Sanctum’s magic aura (Casting score modified by +aura) against a target in the Dominion (MR modified by -3x Aura).
Some numbers crunchers I know once wrote a Sub Rosa article about it.

But again, it only matters for targets with any Magic Resistance. Otherwise Penetration may be as negative as infinity, it is irrelevant. Negative Penetration for devices does not make the effect fizzle.

1 Like