Exploring Etna- winter 1194

I suppose that is what I stated he/she will do. The goal is to be there when the other magi appear and reveal that he/she is part of the cabal to be formed at an appropriate time, or not should the situation evolve in a way he/she doesn't like.

Mechanically, I suppose what I suggest to do is a short-lived deep cover disguise, kind of. Posing as a washerwomen (for a role reputation of 1) shouldn't be very difficult - just be seen doing the work of a washerwomen by one of the tavern's clients or waitress or host should do it, or not?

Edit: I am fine though also with your post as it appeared while I created this one :wink:

Realistically complaining about the stains in some random article of clothing while you are eating would do it- we an consider it done for the purposes of the situation- but she is still a "new regular" rather than an established regular...

I'll observe those new newcomers closely. The first time they appear even downright staring at them shouldn't raise particular suspicion. On the contrary, not doing so would probably make me stand out. Are they behaving in any sense extraordinarily? How do the others react towards them?

With time I'll do my observations more subtly, more indirectly. Do the different newcomers interact with one another? With other regulars?

Could some of those be the other magi I'll be meeting shortly?

It is certainly possible that some of them are magi you will be meeting shortly, and a few even seem to be possessed of the Gift, from the way others react. they generally stay to the background- some attempt to establish a clear identity for themselves- a scribe, a manservant, a wife whose husband is out of town, and she is taking the opportunity of her freedom to actually see people she is not related to... some are there a couple of days and do not return, until the day of the meeting.

On that day the tavern seems especially busy, and all but one of the old regulars have left when the serving wench goes over and locks the door, then casts a spell on the room so that anyone without parma- namely 2 older men playing cards in the corner, fall asleep. She then states "Let this gathering come to order, we are here to discuss interest in a cabal to push the Roman tribunal towards colonizing Africa. I know that there is a treaty, nearly three hundred years old, which does not allow the order to establish covenants in Africa, but it says nothing of chapter houses, which did not exist at the time. There is also a group investigating whether a covenant may be established on Malta, I do not think it is any of us as they lacked in subtlety asking about the legalities of such an endeavor. The treaty expires, in terms of not allowing covenants in Africa, in 1225, and if we do not get a head start we may be left behind, once again trading services for vis we could have harvested directly."
She sits down and another magus stands up, "Colonizing Africa would, I believe, simply lead to a further weakening of the tribunal. We would pour or resources into colonizing, and then the grand Council will decide to split our tribunal into a Roman Tribunal and an African tribunal. We would be far better served by a number of other plans, whether recovering magical auras lost to the dominion, or developing our trade networks further to bring in more vis without war or colonization." he sits and a third magus stands "Africa may be worth looking into, but I attended a meeting regarding the formation of a different cabal a few years ago, one which proposed an invasion of Thebes, subjugating their tribunal, bringing their peripheral code in line with a more standard model, and shifting much of their vis towards the Roman tribunal. I cannot say how successful this cabal will be, but we all know that a meeting is never called without the cabal being established in some way."

«The serving wench», thinks Benessa, «how could I have missed her.»

She listens attentively to the statements of the other magi, before she offers her own opinion: «I think this is a brilliant plan, or at least it can be.»
When she has the attention of everyone, she continues: «Let's have a look as to why, shall we.»

«If we drive this not only in secret, but in time also openly, we will either succeed. The tribunal will allow or even suggest the colonization and we'll have a head start in the efforts. Or, the tribunal rejects, this will cause an uproar of young magi that stay forced to an existence as mage errands, paying rent for a place to stay. The tribunal and the quaesitores will be occupied and won't look into mundane interference all too much. And we will have found some rich Vis sources that we cannot claim, but still harvest.»

Benessa looks into the direction of the previous speakers and continues: «Now to address your concerns. You fear that a colonization of Africa would have the Grand Tribunal split the Roman Tribunal in two, Roman as we know it and Africa? Well, I can't seem to find a problem in that. The Grand Tribunal will give us our own tribunal, one rich in resources. How can that be a problem
«And what does the tribunal of Thebes have to do with this, or any potential plot that is currently played or not involving Thebes? And what will you tell about us when invited to the next cabal?» With that, Benessa takes a seat again and watches for reactions and listens to further comments.

While Prometheus prepares for the meeting, Larione continues his surveillane of the carpenter. He figures out who live in the building, and in which rooms. Is the shop ever left unguarded, except at night? He makes sure he learns the exact street layout in the vicinity and identify a couple of hiding places.

[OOC. I have no idea whether this substory is worth telling or not. Larione has, at the moment, no further goal than to make a daily living. This is what he is doing whether we complete the narration or not.]

One afternoon, after having hung around for some time, he gets a bad feeling. Has he exhausted his luck? He has been caught once too many, and come close a few times more. He really cannot afford being caught again. Knowing that his premonitions are often true, he decides to take a break. But then, he has to think, is there any other way to make a living? No, not at the moment, he concludes, so he quickly returns to attack the task from a different angle.

The carpenter and his wife appear to live above the shop. While the wife goes shopping about once a week in the evenings, the carpenter only leaves to go to guild meetings, and at least one of them is always there, though the shop itself is generally unoccupied at night while they sleep.
You also realize that the wife is of an age they should have a child of apprentice age, but do not seem to have any children.

Each of the other magi stands in turn and gives their views, many point out that most members of the cabal will not be going to Africa themselves, and that if the grand tribunal does split the tribunal into current Rome and Africa they may be able to ensure a more favorable trade. Another mentions the difficulty of establishing the redcap network into Africa, and notes that there are no merchants trading with Africa to enable routine transport of goods and people. Another responds to this mentioning that the difficulties in trade will work for Rome, the redcaps will be their only real connection with the rest of the order, and the other magi they will be familiar with are those from Rome, Still another speaks about such a project undermining the mage errant system. At the end of the meeting there is a basket with slips of paper that each person can take specifying where the next meeting will take place for those interested in continuing.

How easy is it to break into such a shop? Is it possible to get into the back yard? Are all doors and windows bolted at night, on both floors?

Benessa is the first to take a slip and takes a quick look at the paper. Then she takes a seat again where she was sitting when the meeting started and has a casual look at those leaving without taking a slip.
She then takes her leave around the time she usually did.
Changing back to Prometheus, he heads back to meet Larione. «How is the carpenter faring?» he asks with a smile.

[Should I roll Persona every single time? The way I see it, when not in a stressful situation Prometheus could just try again when he fails.?]

You only need to roll persona if the persona is challenged in some way. so far nobody has had reason to do that, aside from in the meeting where everyone assumed that everyone else was in disguise... and so it wasn't truly challenged there either.
for transformation I agree that there is no need to roll if you can choose the time and place of your changing, although being in a divine aura does make it stressfull.

I actually think the roll for Persona is due when I do the change (and I can choose a supportive aura to do the change). After that, there is nothing really to challenge, it's a perfect disguise.

For deep cover disguises you are right once established a roll may be needed when I go into close social interaction.

to choose a supportive aura in your current situation you would have to either leave Palermo or locate a lacunae within the city.

I thought the tavern was south of Palermo, so I assumed I will find a place with likely (as I didn't check) no aura at all. That's where we agree no roll is needed. Correct?

I mentioned an aura more to ensure I will not have to make a Persona roll in a divine aura when I transformed e.g. at home (future home of course) with a supportive aura. Sorry for the confusion. Of course, if I need to transform into one of my personae (or back to Prometheus) while in a church, this can go badly.

"in the south of Palermo" is still in Palermo, southern part of the city. If there were no aura you would not need to make a roll, but it would not be on the way to the carpenter's. You could find a lacunae, which would take a lot of time, or leave the city and come back, which would take the rest of the day.

Ok, I misread "in the south of" as "south of". Did the roll, assuming one botch die I failed the first but succeeded the second time.

Oh, wait, what is the aura and how does it affect Persona? Subtract twice the aura? Finally, fourth try succeeded if the aura was at most two (13-4=9)

the aura is 2, but the penalty for divine is 3x the aura, so -6. You also have an extra botch die for each magnitude of aura, so 3 botch dice.

Well, then Prometheus will have left the city - just as I have initially thought. Rolled for botch anyway.

How much is this adding to the narrative anyway?

Where is the next cabal meeting and who/how many have taken a slip?

the next meeting is in three days time, in a cave about an hour travel south of Palermo. About a dozen people took slips.

regarding the carpenter's shop:
you cannot be certain whether the windows or door are bolted on the inside without trying them.
They are closed at night
There is no back yard, this is an urban shop with another building directly behind it. There is a small alley between the two approximately 2 feet wide. Access to this is a simple matter of sliding in without being observed.