Falcon Bjornaer

There was a second movie?!?!

Sure, it's not worth doing it if it isn't done right...

The way I see it working is that Moro, who trusts the system and the Quaesitors due to his previous problems with House Deidne, is being manipulated/groomed by some more senior Quaesitor. Moro doesn't really know about House Guernicus's deep plans, he just believes them to be a force for good and stability within the order, indeed the rule of law being the only defense against House Bjornaer being separated and eliminated, as was Deidne. Over this longer period of time, Moro is subtly manipulated by this senior Quaesitor, brought more into the fold, and used as an unwitting mole and spy within Mons Electi. Moro may start to catch on to hints of what is to come, but the Quaesitor is skilled at playing off of Moro's loyalty to House Bjornaer and can potentially blackmail him due to his stint with a Diedne parens. This would both discredit him and play directly in the hands of those who would want to marginalize Bjornaer.

I think this storyline has a lot of potential, and certainly sounds like a challenge to roleplay ... a challenge I'd like to accept.

Okay, so this brings up an interesting point. Moro could be completely on the up-and-up about almost all of this experience, right up to the point where the old guy touches him in the Bad Place, as it were. What I mean is, he has totally valid points about the Bjornear/Diedne thing, and has a lot of respect for the specific people he knows, and has every right to feel good about those interactions...right up until the point where Valerian says, "Hey, if you happen to find a set of scrolls in a room protected against scrying....could you grab those for me?"

And it's making him take those little steps of betrayal that "prove" him to the eyes of the inner council that make this dark secret interesting to play.

On the other hand, how are the other magi going to be reacting about this love of Honest Government? Perhaps we're all going to be a shade too cautious to actually TELL Moro about the attack against us? So we might generally harumph and bad-mouth the Quaesitors in general, and Valerian in specific, without ever explaining to Moro why we have such a grudge against them? Until it is far too late....

It's exactly these little steps that I'm curious about. Moro would begin by rationalizing them away, but eventually, I suspect, they would add up. I see him as being a combination of naive and very clever. Even if/when he begins to suspect something, he would most likely continue to comply ... an undercover investigation of his own. Hopefully there would be some trust built between him and the other magi by this point, enough for him to work with one or more of them to get to the bottom of what is really going on. In some ways he would be like a double agent, or at least an agent working at cross-purposes to his agency. There will be a delicate balance to strike if he wishes to survive.

Yes.
I hadn't thought about it, but it is a Major Flaw, so you're very, very right.
To avoid any case of "PC favoristism", we could say that he also fears some NPCs reactions, knowing that, for exemple, the Flambeau new prima is corrupt and an ally of ME.

Likewise, if, say, he comes to have doubt on the quaesitores, he may fear their retribution. I can very well see them keeping an AC to him.
He might be asked to do special tasks which would but him at risk, such as shudder steal a tome from our library, or destroy our vis stocks :frowning:

Just a few more comments and extrapolations on the story flaw, background, motivation, etc:

I'm going to assume that Eule Bjornaer was either a member of the Guernicus inner circle, or a patsy of theirs. Eule would have slip in some capacity that there was a small resurgence of Deidne within House Bjornaer, and that Moro was unwittingly mixed up in it. The inner circle holds on to this information, keeping it as leverage against Moro and House Bjornaer. Meanwile, Eule has moved into Final Twilight, and isn't really a player in the game anymore.

Moro in the meantime has pursued his studies, and aspires to become a Quaesitor of House Bjornaer[1]. Having a decent knowledge of Hermetic history and a mind for conspiracies, Moro sees that House Bjornaer is quite vulnerable to what happened to House Diedne. His loyalty is first and foremost to his House, and to a certain extent, becoming a Quaesitor is a means to the end of further protecting them. He does have intrinsic respect for the Quaesitors, and sees them as an essential element of the coherence of the order. Although he has heard of the Durescea (sp?) Scrolls, he has paid them little heed. He has been studying the Code quite intently.

I want his interaction with the higher-ups of House Guernicus to be quite ... subtle. It seems as though Valerian is very much the hammer of the inner circle, a relatively blunt instrument. Knowing that they have some leverage over Moro due to the Deidne incident, someone has subtly encouraged him to seem membership in Mons Electi. Perhaps this was via another unwitting patsy, a junior Quaesitor that has befriended Moro. Someone within the Inner Circle realizes that with the passing of Eule, there will need to be a new Bjornaer Quaesitor, and one placed within Mons Electi would prove a useful tool.

I see the possibility of an encounter with the Deidne as an interesting complicating factor to everyone's plans. As an apprentice, Moro knew only of them as evil. Perhaps an encounter with real live Deidne might give him a new perspective on these matters. Eventually, he might become a double-agent within the Quaesitors.

These are really just musings on background and how the story might unfold. If Dark Secret no longer seems an appropriate Story Flaw, we can try to figure something else out, perhaps some variant on Favours or Tormenting Master ...

[1] Could someone direct me to more information on non-Guernicus Quaesitors? Is there only one per house? If so, how does that work?

Guernicus inner circle is only open to members of the House. The Outer council is comprised of all of the non House Quaesitores. The Inner council might select outer council members for additional duties in an effort to tighten their grip on the Order as a whole. Being named a non-Guernicus Quaesistor is a first step, and then a period of quiet monitoring begins...

Yes, typically there is only one per House. There are occasions where there might be two or none... depending on how prepared House Guernicus is prepared for a transition.

HoH: TL p. 42 (under "Population"): "On average a Tribunal will have three non-Guernicus Quaesitors," which I'm reading as Quaesitors of Houses other than Guernicus. Which is ≈40 in the order, or 3-4 per House, on average. (Which I wish I'd seen for Canaries). The Outer Council of Magvillus has one Quaesitor of each House.

I'm thinking that the title of Quaesitor is bestowed on outsiders who prove themselves, who the (presumably) Inner Council feels would make a good Quaesitor.

Of course, in this saga it may just be one per house (I say, as JL posted his as I was composing mine).

Hmm...
I missed that, too. Of course, I've been winging stuff for the last few days as I've been out of town...
We'll go with 3 or 4 per Tribunal. Normandy is an exception due to the large House Guernicus covenant of Confluensis...

Very good. Again, Moro respects the Quaesitors, and believed Eule to be of great help to his House. I don't see becoming a Quaesitor as an overarching driving goal, but more as a means to an end of protecting his house in the upcoming political maelstrom.

Any thoughts on the proposed vision of his story?

The build is nearing completion ... I am just debating whether or not to enchant a talisman before things begin and toying with some minor details.

I'm good with everything so far... I'm working on doing the intro... Since this one is a bit more challenging. Also need to run the numbers through MetaCreator...

Glad to hear it. I'll try to finalize the numbers today, tomorrow at the latest.

Here's how I'm going to bring you in...
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/letters-we-got-your-letters/6264/89

May not see it, but I'll get you in...

I have every faith that you will, and I'm also in no rush.

By the by, Moro will be a member of Clan Wilkis, possibly spending a season or two on the clan initiations. Also, did I read somewhere about having access to Covenant build points at the start of the saga?

Yes, 75 build points...

I might have missed this...but is Moro ready for me to put into MetaCreator to run the numbers?

Yes indeed, apologies for the delay. Other than the numbers, I believe three seasons are unaccounted for, two for a longevity ritual, one for initiating a house mystery.

So, my reconciliation is off by 4 experience points, not 10 as you
Like Tranquillina, I think not having Wizard's Communion for the Aegis is something to be worked out for your character, but you can use it anyway you want.
If he's going to be involved in Clan stuff, I'm fine with saying that just "happened" and is part and parcel of is Bjornaer House Lore, rather than taking 2 seasons away.

A couple of observations generally, feel free to ignore them. Most of the spells are wind related, so it may not be necessary to use Major Magical Focus: Weather to achieve what you want to do over the long term. For example, for The Incantation of Lightning, the focus only gets her CS up to 43, which on average will come out to be about 48 when the die roll is factored in, so it's not super high. It's definitely not an advantage, and True Sight of The Air is only going to benefit from the focus in certain situations,(and the unfocused CS of 46 is so high that it doesn't matter) such as there is fog or rain and not smoke, since smoke isn't a weather phenomenon, despite it being part of Auram. A mMF:Wind would still apply to Talons of the Wind, too. Anemone, who I directed to you look at, is a practitioner of the School of Vilano (and Apromor and Sebastian). Her damage spells are indirect toss the natural environment at you, her defensive spells are designed to primarily defeat magic before it gets to her, and she's just good with wind and her parens was an adherent of the School of Sebastian, although with a different focus.

Method Caster will require you to specify a method, something specific and unique to how you gain the advantage to casting spells, for example, Talia in Peregrine's Canaries are dying sings her spells for the bonus.

For the Quaesitor stuff.
Latin 4 is problematic from a writing perspective, you will probably have to have Latin 5 to be declared a Quaesitor, indeed that's been communicated to you. Writing letters is fine, but writing books with Latin 4 won't fly. Writing complex legal opinions or briefs or arguments is also going to be an issue. So is the lack of mentem. See above, if you reduce the auram a bit and rely on indirect magics, you can put some points into mentem. Although this can be done in play, it's probably another reason why Moro hasn't been named a Quaesitor...

I don't see the Quaestior stuff as a problem per se, so much as why you still haven't taken the test.