Fall 1200 Vis hunt from Bentalone

«Euh ... I think he is.» He runs away to find him.

OOC. @dc444 will you butt in here, or should I play Guilhelm as a sidekick.

A few minutes later Guilhelm comes running in with Jaufres dressed in similarly fine gear made for a child. "I couldn't find my belt, papa!"

"Couldn't find my belt! Couldn't find my belt!" Éléazar, Alienor's magpie familiar, mimics. Alienor smiles at the exuberance of the children.

«Where did you find the belt?» asks Jaufres, looking at his gear, where he clearly found something to hang his sword from.

“Under my bed...” then with a quick change of focus and said to the group as a whole, “Where are we going?”

"We're going to the lake!" Gerard grins. "Come here, boys." He touches each on the head and shares his Parma Magica with them. "Don't go out of my sight, or you'll lose your protection, ok?" He looks at the other magi. "Let's go."

It is roughly a half days travel to Aux de Bains, the lakeside town with the numerous facilities purporting healing waters. Ove that distance nothing accosts or surprises the group. As they arrive in town however, they notice a certain amount of unusual activity- the town seems divided amongst itself, and suspicion seems to follow from one neighbor to another. Most of the churches have notices on their doors with an announcement of interdict, except one whose doors stand open. Interestingly the only divine aura in the town is around the church with the open doors.

As the group walks through the town, Lutra retreats to the back of the group, letting the others be the face. "That inn seems to be offering healing waters, we should probably check in there," he points out to his sodales, referring to whichever is closest to the suspicious church.

During the walk to town Guihelm is all over the place often needing to be reminded that he is not to leave his father's sight.

Alienor sings or whistles tunes most of the way accompanied, musically, by Éléazar. The tunes are all happy and joyous in their feel.

Jaufres tries to march straight and orderly like a shield grog, behind his father. Only a few times he is distracted to follow his brother to investigate something off the path.

Arriving in Aix he is taken aback. «Daddy, what is it about all the churches? And why is that one different?» he asks pointing at the one that is open.

"Well, the churches are closed for the interdict. I'm not sure why that one's open, but it's in violation of Papal command, so it's probably not a good thing." He looks back to Lutra, "I think it would be wiser to keep clear of that church, but if you think that inn is the genuine article, I suppose it may not be a problem."

[assume Latin unless stated otherwise.]

Jaufres listens curiously as his father speaks to the other magi.

"Right, that church..." he says as he considers it. "I do think we're on the right track thinking it may be a good place to start looking, let's just come closer to examine it at the very least."

Gerard raises his eyebrows, then shrugs. "Well, we aren't going to find vis in town anyway. But I suppose if you want to satisfy your curiosity about heresy I can't stop you, and we should stick together. Just try not to start an angry mob, please?"

He will lead the way into the inn. He will approach the bar, and plunk down three nights worth of money for the group, speaking in Occitan. "Good evening. We need private lodgings and a private room to dine in, please. And we'd like to hear about your healing waters."

Alienor enters with the others but takes a back seat as she has never been to this inn before. She makes quite the scene with her blue hair and the bird sitting on her shoulder pretending to be a normal bird.

The innkeeper nods, handing you a trio of keys "The waters are of course miraculous, and lose all effect if removed from the spring" he begins, and leads you to a bathhouse in the back, which the rooms of he inn surround and enclose "use of the spring is an extra 4 pennies per day, per person." And provides you directions to your rooms, all located in the same building. There are no neighbors occupying adjacent rooms.

Gerard pays the extra charge for use of the waters, and after getting comfortable, taking off all the armor, etc., will lead whomever wants to join in heading to the bathhouse. "Come on boys, we can test his claims directly. But don't be loud about it, or challenge him. Attacking someone's livelihood is a good way to make an enemy, and unkind as well."

Jaufres does as suggested, relieved to get out of the heavy armament. «Are you ready, Guilhelm?»

As they enter the bathhouse (or what it is), he studies the water carefully. «Is this supposed to be vis, daddy?»

He has magic sensitivity, if that's relevant to the study.

"It could be, but I expect it's not. Vis is more likely to be out at the actual lake, further from the divine aura in town. Divine auras dampen magic, and hinder the formation of vis."

There is nothing he can sense of magic to the pool, but it is warm and has a pleasant earthy aroma. It might be a naturally healthy spring, but as far as you can tell there are no magical properties.

«What's so special about this, Guilhelm? It is just warm water.» Jaufres seems disappointed.