Fan Grimoire?

I will contact him and see which he prefers

1 Like

I would like your input on the 5 remaining CrAn spells that are not finalized. Do we want to keep them, and if so, how do we change them, or do we want to discard them? That way I can start work on finalizing CrAn, as you move forward to InAn.

1 Like

I worry that if we get in the habit of doing too much editing like we're seeing with these, then we'll never get through the pdf. We're closing in on just CrAn, so 1 of 50 sections, after all.

1 Like

Some sections further down are noticeably shorter. I think only Corpus is longer.

1 Like

I wouldn't be surprised if this took us several months to do, frankly.

1 Like

Of the two left, change Swarm of Angry Hornets to use the Swarm damage rules.

For the book repair, I don't really even want to go there. Already had the fight over a repair books spell in a long thread. I like temprobe and don't want to argue with him again.

Rebuilding the Tome of the Mind is going to be very hard to make possible for all Saga. See here where I managed to design something the OP liked and decided to use for their Saga that many others disagreed with.

1 Like

I'm not sure what we argued over, but I like you too and wish you a merry new year.

1 Like

Couple of years ago and I was going through a very prickly PTSD phase, so would fight for very little reason. I've been doing much better. As for the merry new year the 30 year old bottle is coming out and a finger each to my friends tomorrow night.

3 Likes

So long as it's not the middle finger. :smile:

2 Likes

Considering it is worth about $20 for a finger, I don't think they would care if it was the middle one or not. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My suggestion is that for ones that still have a lot of debate but that we haven't agreed should be removed we move them to a "review at a later date" section or separate document. That way we can get the bulk of the document sorted while still keeping those for a potential closer look/further discussion later.

Go for the low hanging fruit now, push the debateable ones for (a hypothetical) version 1.1

6 Likes

Actually, I think that's a pretty good idea. Anything we can hammer out as done would be great. When I'm messing around with bigger Ars projects I tend to have a 'working' doc and a 'final' doc - It actually takes minutes for the current doc to fully load on my browser, so it would be nice if we could have a smaller doc with what we're currently focusing on to make it easier - or at least removing ones that are done (or pitched).

1 Like

Minutes?! I thought it was bad, but I am working on a computer that is basically a small server merged with an entry graphics workstation on gigabit internet. For me it was taking 10~15 seconds to load and I noticed it.

I do agree it would be better breaking things about between a 'working' and 'final' document. Itzhack does not even have to share the 'final' document but can just save it on his computer. Cut everything out of the 'working' version that is not maybe two or three TeFo combinations.

At the very least it would cut down the massive wall of comments which makes it hard to do anything.

2 Likes

Well, it's loading the early part quickly, but it takes like 4 minutes to load the end of it.

1 Like

I have moved all the spells we've currently agreed on to a separate file, so it would be easier to focus. There are some spells in Muto Animal which have no comment on them, and am not sure if that's a good sign or not.

1 Like

I started doing a first pass review on the CrAq spells. Few notes I wanted to put out.

There are several spells designed to create a suit of ice armor. I am a little over halfway through and have already come across three of them. All are very different and I don't really like any of them. A wide range of protection and bulk, all sorts of special case rules, finesse roll creation quality, etc. We will have to reach a consensus on things like the protection and bulk from ice, cold exposure, finesse requirements, and so on. This is a discussion that having here on the forums would most likely be easier.

All of TheIronboundTome ice creation spells (there are a lot) use feet instead of paces. His math is also off in at least a few places. A Base Individual of Aquam is a pool that is 4,350 gallons (TME, p.119) using the most exact method I could find in RAW, compared to the pool 5 paces across and 2 paces at deepest description which gives variable results with how the bottom is curved found in Core. That gives us 21.53742 cubic paces or 581.5104 cubic feet. He uses a smaller 560 cubic feet (no problem, less efficient). I believe we should covert all of his numbers to paces and his inefficient design gives us a little fudge room to get nice round numbers. Also his Size modifiers need to be checked.

2 Likes

I agree on generally using paces. I think it's much better for the international community so that people can choose to use meters rather than yards and have everything work out pretty much the same.

I don't know why someone recalculated things for TME after we had reasonable and much nicer values for years beforehand, and placed in a convenient box entitled "Volume Conversion Guide" (A&A p.76) rather than hidden in a spell. I would use the Volume Conversion Guide for everything; and that spell isn't so far off. There we see the Base Individual for water is 20 cubic paces (which rounds pretty nicely to 4000 gallons, though it's slightly bigger).

I agree on ice armor. There was a thread somewhere here where this was examined not too long ago... Ice Armor?

4 Likes

Thanks, I knew that conversion guide was somewhere but couldn't remember where. Going with 20 cubic paces is a touch low but it is a nice round number that is easy to work with which is I'm sure the reason it was selected.

So 20 cubic paces is 540 cubic feet, meaning his numbers are high. I'll start going through my comments and correcting them to that.

As for that thread on Ice Armor, I am pretty sure it is one of the spells in the document.

EDIT: There are also several spells that create "Boiling Oil" and use the 'natural liquid' for calculating size. However boiling oil is an "otherwise dangerous" liquid (it causes damage touching it) so should use the same size calculation as Corrosive per ArM5, page 121. Any liquid that does damage on contact should use that same size scale.

3 Likes

Re: Ice Armor - we could leave those harder to balance spells for the end when we've worked out through the 80-90% of the spells that can easily be validated.

On measuring... I'll have to disagree. I agreed to calculate the math behind to ensure the measurements match guideline limits, but I don't think we should rewrite description to move everything that's measured in foot to paces or to gallons. It's not as if the base book all use pace measurements everywhere, roughly half the spells use paces, the other half uses foot. If the original writer wrote his in foot, I'd rather not change the measuring to paces, and stick to verifying overall measures.

I believe one of the ice armors is mine, which I made because I wasn't happy with existing ones, and one of my players really wanted ice armor, even if it was worse than normal armor.

As you may have discerned, I don't think non-metal armor conjured should be as effective as equivalent metal armor would.

... now I want to make a new ice armor spell... Damnit.

3 Likes