Fédora (development)

Tiana is the property of the Milvini Antiquiti. Her seasons of service are spent illicitly memorizing books and then regurgitating them for Harco.

(It seems odd that you can memorize an entire text well enough to reproduce it perfectly, yet not actually gain any insight from studying it. Oh well.)

Right now, your service seasons have probably been cataloging and indexing the contents of the Mercere Vault. There is an entire chess set of vis in here. And backup copies of records going back hundreds of years. And several items useful for the identification, measurement, and transfer of vis. And a few items concerning transportation and communication. Other than that, your job is to organize and manage the lodge. Even after the attack, about a half dozen or more Redcaps pass through here every year. They exchange message bundles, deposit and withdraw vis, collect needed items, drop off and pick up packages, spend a season relaxing, copy books, etcetera.
Tiana is up to much the same thing.
What [strike]Laverne & Shirley[/strike] Fedora and Tiana do next depends on the Proposal Fedora writes up for the Redcap Council. If you keep your agreements, or at least word them in your proposal, then you can otherwise shape things as you will. I, Markoko, would feel better if you got some hard silver for rent on top of it all. But whatever.
Your in like Flynn. Write a good proposal, don't screw yourself, but don't go over the top and turn your allies away from your side.

The records I mentioned. She is probably memorizing and copying the backup records and making new copies.

Why make new copies? She can just memorize them, and if we ever lose the originals, she can produce a copy then. There's no time limit on it :slight_smile:

wow...
How long do you think it would take for you to memorize the entirety of the record? What do you reckon is kept here?

It takes one season to memorize a summa perfectly with Mythic Mimicry. Not all books are the same length, but at least it keeps things simple.

So, Vulcanus and Fédora haven't been laying idle during the fast-forward years. (I mean, they've been laying, but not exactly idle, ifyouknowwhatImean.)

(I used the Pregnancy and Conception article from Sub Rosa #11, pp. 16-19, for this)

In Winter of 1231, they have their first child together, a boy named Velund. An easy delivery which barely fazed Fédora. Looks much like his father, with blond hair and blue eyes.

In Spring of 1232, they have a daughter named Katerina, with green eyes and blonde hair. This was a rougher delivery, 13 hours, with two Long-Term Fatigue levels and a Medium Wound (I botched one of the Deprivation rolls).

In the Winter of 1234, she is great with child once more, due in the Spring.

Holy Schnikes!!!!!

[color=blue]"When my husband sets his mind to a task," Fédora says with a smirk, [color=blue]"he performs that task very well."

And in a related vein. Fédora and Vulcanus have been married for three and a half years now, have shared a bed almost every night (except for a handful when they had a bit of a row), and have gotten to know and care for each other more than Fédora had expected, or thought possible, or even wanted when they first wed.

I'm thinking it's time she got over Saam (Minor Flaw, Lost Love) and got her smile back. How does one do that? Would it require a story, or just a wave of the hand, or would it have to be replaced by something else?

Well, Vulc said he's cool with it if Fedora wants to go see the guy and get some closure. Fedora has Vibria glaring daggers at her everywhere she goes, so the least he can do is suck up his pride and accompany his wife on an adventure to visit her ex.

Advancing Fédora, if I'm understanding the Redcap advancement rules properly.

From Winter of 1230 to Winter of 1233, is four years, or 16 seasons. Two of those seasons (Winter of 1231 and Spring of 1232) are spent basically having the babies.

As I understand it, Fédora's Redcap duties basically consist of running the Mercere Lodge. If she devotes all her seasons to that, then she would have 14 seasons. Seeing as how she's “expected” to do 8 seasons, that puts her at 6 seasons of overtime.

Which nets her 8 BP and 40 xp for Duty-related Abilities for her regular seasons, and 12 pawns of vis, 30 xp, and 12 xp toward a Reputation as an over-achiever.

She also, I think, gets a vis salary of, basically, 4 pawns of vis per year, so she gets 16 pawns of vis for being a member of Andorra.

Is this right?

:open_mouth: She's a baby Factory!
For the flaw, she may very well retain it. Being married with children doesn't end depression. IRL, some people have everything, yet they depress. Otherwise, you may replace it. For example, as a result of her bad pregnancy, she may have been weakened, "gaining" reduced characteristics, or a poor (characteristic). Or she may be Envious of Vibria, or Proud as the wife of the mighty Vulcanus.

As per advancement, as far as I can tell, you're right.
This is problematic for a Companion redcap, as evidenced in the Venditor thread.

This part, IMO, is great "Each season of Service in Redcap duties earns them one Benefit point accrued (or one level towards Redcap Items), plus they gain 5xp relative to their duties, such as in Area Lore or the local Language (this counts as a mix of Practice &/or Exposure)."

This one begins the make redcaps companions better than other companions, while still staying manageable: "A Redcap may pull extra duty and work a third seasons a year if they choose (a season of extra overtime earns no bp, but you get two pawns of vis from the guy you are filling in for plus the 5xp, and 2xp for a reputation as an overachiever)."

And as you noted, as a covenant magus, she's expected to gain even more vis (although Marko noted 12 pawns for masters elsewhere, not 16, so he must have toned it down to 3/year), which is quite unfair to "normal" companions, like Stephanos and Arnau. I really don't care (I have no companion), but as the problem was raised, I think you should be aware of it.

=> Funnily enough, the more unbalancing thing about the Redcap virtue post-game is not the HR, but the side effect of their RAW status as magi :unamused: :laughing:

By the way, I left it (intentionally) wide open as to whether Vulcanus and Fédora's children are Gifted, UnGifted, or Other. The table I used has a results for each of those (Gifted, Latent Gift, or Exceptional Ability), but the table is for two normal mundane parents with no magical abilities. I figured whatever works best for the story should be the way to go.

There is another issue too, one which may go unnoticed for a while. Maybe forever.
There are two buxom redheads that each gave birth around the same time, less than a year after Fedora and Vulcanus got married.

Well, if either of THEM turn up Gifted, then I could actually take one as an apprentice! :slight_smile:

(Plus, if either of them look like Vulc except redheaded, they would completely be the very IMAGE of Thor. Which is awesome!)

BTW, if anyone actually tells Vulc about it, or if he notices either of the redheads (and he always notices redheads) toting around babies, he would definitely ask if he's the father, and would do whatever was necessary to provide for the children.

well, the one of them got married soon after, and most people presume her husband is the father. The other one has gotten the reputation of a red headed slut and avoids people altogether.

Is it common knowledge amongst the people that Vulc slept with them both the night before he got married? And has either one of them (or anyone else) been hinting or insinuating that the kid(s) is/are his? (I've been thinking about this all day, and I'd hate for all those overworked brain cells to have gotten all worked up for nothing. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Vulc says there were actually three of them that night. He fooled around with a fourth but she ran off before they got anywhere.