Fun with sand

Before I go further, I see that the muto terram spells do not seem to follow the guidelines of muto terram for the most part. Only edge of the razor has the plus two for metal... And I couldn't locate an errata. Has this been covered?

W

Neither do many of the ReTe spells. Some Terram spells do take the rule into account and others ignored it. I believe it was deemed too difficulty to entirely fix this via errata and so is left up to the various troupes.

Chris

Ah...

Is the concensus that we create new spells with or without the extra magnitudes to deal with glass,gold,etc?

W

I leave the published spells unchanged[1]. These are useful because the expose gaps in Hermetic theory, which can be used fit Original Research (OR) purposes. Of course, the player/character has to realize that a spell violates some of the rules.

[1] Spells fixed with errata are updated.

I've been away for some time so I was surprised to see my old post pop up while I was lurking.

Fearful Grip of the Liquid Earth

MuTe(Aq) 15

Base 4 (Change dirt into a mixture of liquids, solids, and gases) R: Touch (+1) D: Conc (+1) T: Ind Size +1 (Req. Free)

The earth in front of the caster becomes a mix of water and loose dirt in a 100 cubic foot area. Any object or living thing caught in the area begins to sink at a rate of 2 cubic feet per combat, but heavier and larger objects may sink faster at the troupes discretion. This will engulf a man sized target in 3 combat rounds causing the victim to suffocate. The victim can attempt to escape and keep himself from sinking farther by making a dex or str roll of 9+ to prevent further sinking and 12+ to counteract sinking or move toward solid ground. However, since the consistence of the ground is that of thick mush, failed attempts make the target sink twice as fast as they struggle against the odds. Even more distressing is if the target is underground when the spell ends as he will be entombed.

You may want to alter range and duration to better suit your needs. Whether it need additional magnitude bumping for balancing is up to you, but I would leave it as is for my saga.

Seeing through sand was covered above, I think it ultimately turned out to be a level 40 spell, there may be a cheaper way to do it with something like eyes of the bat, where you "feel" the vibrations of the sand.

Screamer like creatures could be done with magic items or by making an elemental. This could also be accomplished with high level animal.

The Storm that Peels the Unjust

CrAu(Te) (Sand storms are a weather phenomena) 25

Lets call it a Sever Weather effect Base 3 R: Voice +2 D: Conc +1 T: Ind (Ter Req +1) (Very unnatural: Can be cast where there is no sand but I wouldn't go so fare as to call it wholly divorced) +2

Creates a sandstorm with gale force winds that can render flesh from bone. Anyone caught in the storm suffers +10 damage per turn and must make a perception +9 check to be able to see, botches may result in blindness as the person tries to hold his eyes open only to have them ripped apart. The wind is forceful enough to impair movement but not to knock you off your feet under normal circumstances. Note the the caster only has control of where the storm forms and not which direction it travels, so it is advised that casting be done only if your parma can withstand the effect or with zero force casting.

The damage may need adjusting down or up according to troupe flavor and may require balancing magnitudes. If it were my saga I would seriously consider giving it a +1 bump for balancing.

Constructive criticism welcome.

Cheers

Love it! Thanks. Just in time delivery I call it :slight_smile:

W

Which of the two is better? Looking for an effect that will nullify the advantage of invisibility while in the desert.

Sand cough in the eyes

ReTe 20

Lifts sand into the air around the caster which will obfuscate vision levering the plane against an invisible foe.

Control Dirt in a very unnatural fashion - Base 3 R: Voice +2 D: Diam +1 T: Ind +1 (100 cubic paces of Sand)

Tornado
CrAu 10

Once cast, a circling wind start to form around the caster. On round two, The winds are strong enough to deflect most projectiles. On round 3, the winds are gale force and start pulling smaller objects in the air. On round 4, the tornado is fully formed and starts roaming around pulling everything in its path up into the air. The caster does not have control over the Tornado and can be affected by it if it penetrates his resistance.

Taj of Flambeau used this spell as a spontaneous spell when he fled a battle field in the desert and needed some distraction. To his surprise, the sand was easily pulled into the air which rendered visibility to zero into the whole area for a few minutes which was more than enough. He thought it could be useful again so he took some spare time to make the spell as a formulaic.

Tornado effect Base 5 R: Sight +0 D: Diam +1 T: Ind (natural: Can only be cast in open areas) +0

BTW, I think the level calculations were slightly off for this spell

The Storm that Peels the Unjust

CrAu(Te) (Sand storms are a weather phenomena) 10

Lets call it a Sever Weather effect Base 3 R: Voice -1 D: Conc +1 T: Ind (Ter Req +1) (Very unnatural: Can be cast where there is no sand but I wouldn't go so fare as to call it wholly divorced) +2

Creates a sandstorm with gale force winds that can render flesh from bone. Anyone caught in the storm suffers +10 damage per turn and must make a perception +9 check to be able to see, botches may result in blindness as the person tries to hold his eyes open only to have them ripped apart. The wind is forceful enough to impair movement but not to knock you off your feet under normal circumstances. Note the the caster only has control of where the storm forms and not which direction it travels, so it is advised that casting be done only if your parma can withstand the effect or with zero force casting.

W