Gabriel (Development)

In artes and acadamie any time you are taught by a living breathing teacher (or a magical non-breathing one that nonetheless uses speech and teaches with a skill as opposed to being a test or passive SQ) you may put up to 1/2 the SQ into Latin or teaching for any academic subject or into artes liberals and teaching if being taught Latin (p.96)

Ooh, what page is that, I'd like to check that out when I get home.

And is that limited by the Latin/Artes Liberales ability of the teacher?

You would thin so but it is not specified.

It's in a sidebar on page 96.

When being taught an Academic Ability, the student must put half of the xp gained into the Academic Ability, but my put up to half into Latin or Teaching.

If Latin is being taught, then the student can also put points into Artes LIberales.

Very interesting. I'll have to look into how this could work out for Gabriel.

Well, I wouldn't assume that we're going to use that rule for the saga. If I remember correctly, Art and Academe is one of the books Marko doesn't have, so we need to make sure Marko and the troupe are good with the rule.

I personally don't have a problem with the rule, and it actually makes a fair amount of sense to me, (although I'd put a limit on the XP up to the skill of the teacher) so I vote to include it.

So, here's a revised plan for Gabriel, subject to Solomon's approval, of course.

[size=150]1239[/size]
Winter: enter the saga
Spring: Learn Latin from Silvia (13+5=18 xp in Latin)
Summer: Learn Latin from Silvia (13+5=18 xp in Latin)
Autumn: Learn Artes Liberales from Silvia (13+5=18 xp in Latin - down to 9 xp because of max value)

[size=150]1240[/size]
Winter: Learn Artes Liberales from Silvia (12+5=17 xp in Artes Liberales)
Spring: Learn Philosophiae from Silvia (12+5=17 xp in Philosophiae)
Summer: Learn Magic Theory from Silvia (12+5=17 xp in Magic Theory)
Autumn: Learn Magic Theory from Silvia (12+5=17 xp in Magic Theory - down to 13 xp because of max value)

[size=150]1241[/size]
Winter: Learn Profession: Scribe from Silvia (12+5=17 xp in Prof: Scribe)
Spring: Get Arts opened (2 xp in Magic Theory)
Summer: ???
Autumn: ???

That will give Gabriel the following skills:

[tableborder][tr][th]Ability[/th] [th]Specialization[/th] [th]Rank[/th] [th]XP[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales: Latin and Greek alphabets[/td] [td]rituals[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]17[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language: Latin[/td] [td]hermetic usage[/td] [td][center]4[/center][/td] [td][center]45 (+5)[sup]1[/sup][/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory[/td] [td]assist in lab[/td] [td][center]3[/center][/td] [td][center]32[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophiae[/td] [td]rituals[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]17[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession Scribe[/td] [td]copying books[/td] [td][center]2[/center][/td] [td][center]17[/center][/td][/tr][/tableborder]
[sup]1[/sup] - bonus from language similarities.

I left the last two seasons open for whatever Solomon wants Gabriel to do.

I do not have that book, but if multiple others do have it and can watchdog each other, then go for it. The rule as suggested seems fine by me.

Yup, just make the obvious assumption that its limited by the teachers xp. IIRC, its for a Latin heavy environment too, but that's not an issue.