Gathering a crew (spring 1221)

I guess that the question boils down to is:

Is it the covenant and the town the same entity ? If yes, then anybody that settles in the town de facto become our responsability and even thought they might not our servants.

In any case, I think that the covenant should not be equal to the town. Right now, the covenant is pretty much the town, but that might change in the future. Also, while we are at it, is the taxable income based on the gross or net income ? In this case, we could lower the taxable ammount by claiming expenses such as manpower, materials, etc. I read somewhere in city and guild that a trip only net 10% or so in profit.

In any case, we cannot give 2400 to Al Faquesh, that would be interfering with mundanes.

Who's available to play?

Pepe is available, and any NPC sailors, such as the named Lorenzo.

I really like the idea of 90% "expenses". We have to have obtained the glassware from somewhere, after all!

I doubt that Al Faquesh will take kindly to us attributing all our earnings so that he doesn't get a penny.

I'll take on Lorenzo.

If you had acquired the glass through traditional means this trip would have been a net loss. It was the magical manufacture of glass which made it profitable. The trick is going to be in paying the sailors 10% of the actual profit while claiming a lesser value for taxes, not in making the claim for what profits really were.

The man joins you in a quieter room- I will write his tale probably after labor day...

Cant the same reasonning be used on the sailors? I mean, except for Vincente and Bravol, nobody knows where we got the glass from. We could probably claim that we had to buy expensive potash and pay craftsmen to get it. if we are consistent with the story we intend to tell Al faquesh, then after expense that would leave 2400 pounds of silver, 240 for the crew, which would still be a significant payout is the share is 10-20 lbs of silver for a few days of sailing.

Certainly

The man begins his Tale. "We had set sail from Nice, headed for the Levant, we'd made port three nights in arrow and done some trading at each port. Not a significant amount of the cargo but some side deals that were lining Matheus' pockets quite nicely. We were rounding the boot when Matheus decides to make for the Aegean islands instead of following the coast. A lot of them don't have a lot of signs of civilization but they at least have somewhere we can weigh anchor for the night and go ashore to cook some food, maybe scavenge some fresh food. We sail most of the day and spot a decent looking island to pull up to for the night, but Matheus looks nervous, keeps muttering about the island being in the wrong place, but there is no way the captain is going to go scouting around for a different island that close to sunset. As we approach another ship comes around from behind the island, about half the size of our ship and sailing right towards us even though the wind was in our favor. Half the crew was staring in wonder trying to understand how this could be when the ballista fired its first round, not a lethal attack, but a cable, a thick rope, which grappled the ship and started pulling us close. We were still 500 yards away, and by now some of us had figured out what was happening, so we start chopping the rope. The rest of the crew tries to steer away but with the other ship being under what seems to be its own wind and the rope being cranked in that is doomed to failure unless we ca get the rope cut. 6 seconds later another ballista bolt comes in with a second rope, and we are only halfway through cutting the first rope. We split the crew between the ropes, thinking they can't have more than 2 ballistae and probably a winch with each, but 6 seconds later a third round with a third rope flies out and snags our ship again, and 6 seconds later a fourth rope. Matheus is looking white as a sheet and asks why they need more than 2 ropes. We look at him for a second when we realize he is right, however many men they have on board more ropes won't let them pull harder. One rope, a second in case the first gets cut, but why a third and a fourth? Then we see- the men from the other ship come running across the ropes over to our ship. These men ran like they were on dry ground, never missing a step, never wavering in their balance. We kept cutting at the rope with a cadence, hoping hat if we couldn't cut it in time we might knock some off, but if they noticed the shaking we certainly couldn't tell. Finally they boarded the ship and we tried to fight them off. At least they bled like mortal men when they were stabbed, but they fought with such ferocity, as if they didn't care if they were injured or even killed, and more kept coming over the ropes, our own crew was soon overwhelmed."
He pauses for an exceptionally long drink.
They sailed our ship to that island, around the back side and into a cave. In the cave itself they let their ship tow us, as even underground it seemed to sail with it's own wind. Finally they brought us all ashore at what looked to be a small village, complete with docks, built in the cave. The captain from the pirate ship came ashore first and it was a woman, a woman of glorious beauty, and some folk from the village ran to fetch a throne that was carried by 4 men, which she sat atop. They hauled the prisoners out first before more men from the village, she seemed to be the only woman amongst them, went aboard and began unloading our cargo. She inspected each of us as if we were cattle, looking at our teeth and feeling our manhood as though she were weighing them. Finally she selected Matheus and grinned. "You will fetch a handsome ransom." she tells him and three men separate him from the crew and take him somewhere else. She turns to one of the deckhands, Guilliam, a large man who could always be counted on to haul sails in a storm or handle other daunting tasks, and states "You we shall have for dinner." and as she finishes the statement one of her men slits Guilliam's throat, and as he falls they begin to cut him apart, butcher him as if he were a pig, right in front of the rest of the crew. We all stood aghast as she selected a third man whom she said would entertain her bed that night, and he too was hauled away. Then she selected me, and I was terrified and only half heard what she said, and the next thing I was clear about I was in a small boat adrift, knowing I needed to raise a ransom of two thousand pounds of silver from Matheus' friends, family or business associates, so that Matheus might win his freedom. The boat brought me to shore here in Palermo, and I know when it is taken again it will go to where I am to meet the Pirate Queen, though I have no idea how I know this, or how it will accomplish this feat.

Bavol grows less interested in the story as Vicente translates (Bavol's italian/arabic is atrocious). He'll lean in and whisper (in Romany) to Vicente, "Islands appearing out of nowhere? Cannibal pirates? Ships that move on their own? Even if I believed, actually, especially if I believed this salty tail, I would think his master is long dead, and anyone who boarded that ship would soon follow. Even the ransom is outlandish, it's a lifetime and more of toil for a prosperous ship captain.

If you believe this is worth following up at all, I suggest we return home and gather the masters and the rest of the turb before anything else.

"Some embellishements might have crept in his story, but I wouldn't dismiss it altogether. You are still young Bravol, and in time you'll learn that not you need to fear more than the storms and pirates when you are out there. Plus, some of the magi consulted earlier this spring about enchantments that could be useful for the Pisces, and the idea of harnessing winds was advanced very quickly, so I would not dismiss it as a faerie tale; if they are capable of doing it, probably others are too."

As for the ransom, it is outlandish, alright. Altought we might have to, I'd rather drop all that silver overboard than to let that cannibalistic bitch lay her fingers on a single coin. You are right that we need to get further directions from ... our associates. Before that, however, let us complete our crew with sailors that know how to handle themselves in a fight; or even better marines if we can find some. We will need additionnal protection anyway for thePisces, once it becomes known how profitable our business is. I planned on hiring some after our first expeditions, but I'd rather have them on board right away if we are to encounter the Pirate Queen."

Vincente, filled again with the pride of commanding a crew, a pride that had been stolen from him many years earlier on a dock in Venice, says decisively:

"We have a huge credit in town, dont we? Let us use it. We will need armors and weapons for the crew, of the best quality our silver can afford. We will also need supplies for the upcoming travel to the Aegan Islands. Expenses be damned, it shall not be said that we abandonned these poor souls to that ghoulish Circe."

(OOC:
1- Recuit marines
2- Buy weapons and armors
3- Get help from the magi
4- Not die
5- ...
6- Profit !)

Finding marines is relatively easy- with the stories of the profit turned there are plenty who believe you either need protection from pirates or are pirates yourself, and at the money you pay your crew most do not seem overly concerned with which it is. Finding quality marines is another matter- shipboard combat does not lend itself to metal armor or long range weapons like bows for the most part, though your ship has no siege weapons either for defense or piracy. What few marines might be practiced with swords do not carry them about town and you find yourself reliant on their descriptions of their prowess with a sword- frequently the best reference any have for their history as marines is the criminal brands they carry from exploits in the past which did not go so well. Some may well be simple street toughs who have decided the pay sounds good and they are willing to try the same trade they know, of sorts, on board a ship.

(still in Romany) Hmmm, you may be right. Likely our "marines" will be little better than scum and villainy, but what crew in this sea would be much different? We could set a trap, sailing the Pisces into danger, but instead of carrying cargo, we pack the spaces below deck with men.

I doubt we could get good weapons and armor here in any quantity, but if we take a cargo of iron back home, I'm sure the "crafters" there could give us what we need. A large quantity of men, heavily armed and armored could easily take several times their number in normal marines.

We would need a way to avoid word of this getting back to the Pirate Queen; she likely has spies in the major ports.

Alternately we could just go home, get some glassware and offer it as ransom, with the masters nearby to intervene should disaster fall. I doubt this pirate queen is expecting ransom; how would such a ransom even fit in the small boat she sent with this sailor?

Vincente, Bavol and Lorenzo use the following days trying to weed out experienced marines or at least promising canditates, but testing their swordmanship, seamanship and last, but not least, making sure that they are able to swim. In the meantime, a reputable trader is hired to acquire several tons of irons, as well as any leather armors, shields, and weapons of excellsuitable on a ship such as broadswords, cutlass, maces and axes of excellent quality that he can find. The trader is also tasked to buy a list of supplies on a list that Talus gave him before they departed two weeks ago.

Then, after all the acquired cargo is loaded, and the crew is preparing the Pisces for the voyage to Mdina, Vincente, Bavol and Lorenzo meet in the captain's cabin.

Vincente smiles and his laugh fills the cabin; the mark seared on his cheek clearly visible:

"There are no scum and villains on the Pisces, only honest sailors,understood?"

"Indeed, I was thinking of something along these lines."

"Yes, good thinking. Let us hope they have time to do so."

"Hopefully, she is still oblivious to our intents. Even if she does, she might try to capture our ship as she is not aware of our trumps cards."

"Maybe she is trying to lure more preys..."

When you decide to leave the ship will make it back to Mdina without incident.

Once they are in Mdina, the cargo will be unloaded on carts and transported to Domus Aureus. He will ask for an audience before the Council.

"Honored members of the Council, the first trip of the Pisces has been a resounding success. The ship is now manned by a full crew. We also have been able to sell the cargo of glass Talus prepared for twenty-four thousands pounds of silver, which is on account in Palermo. In order to facilitate the recruitment of sailors, part of it was promised to the crew; for this trip, given there was no expense, about two hundred forty pounds were divided between ten of us. In the future, a tenth of the profit shall go to the crew, as was promised."

"A pension was also promised to the family of dead or lost at sea sailors, and many were convinced to uproot their family and move it to Malta. As to if they should be settled here in the town or elsewhere is yours to decide."

"Finally, we encountered a sailor that told a most intriguing tale. He told about a ship going against the wind, sailors with uncanny abilities and unaffected by injuries, which were led by a woman named Circe, who controlled a pirate hidout on an island that should not have been there according to maps. She is currently holding a merchant, ruined, as its ship was captured by these pirates and Circe is asking for a ramson of two thousand pounds of silver for his release. To our knowledge, the merchant had no associates able to pay such a sum. The man who told us this story said the the merchant, going by the name of Matheus, would work to pay his debt to anyone who could free him."

"Also, we were not able to acquire enough weapons and armor for the whole crew. I know that your time is precious, but if by chance you would find the time to make some for us, the entire crew would be grateful."

if the decision is made to pursue Matheus it can be a separate adventure- feel free to discuss it here, for this adventure I am awarding 6xp.I believe the entire adventure was grogs, so confidence is irrelevant...

"Well my plan was to create a magical torch that helps us in further cave explorations. But if I hear your report I like to join your next trip . I can set up one of the mobile labs on the Pisces. Maybe I can create the item while we are searching for this Circe Lady, and in between I might have the luck to burn something interesting. What do my Soldales think about this Idea? Someone wants to join us?"

Talus thinks that its definitely a good idea to look into this matter further. But he's not really the right type to go off like that.

"The place for a Bonisagus in inside his lab or in a library."