gift and supernatural ability

When i originally read this I ignored it since the learning curve was so steep, seeing it again in societies brings it back...Does this mean that every magi has a free supernatural ability?

Nope.

You could say that opening the arts remove the previous ability (like an ordeal) to grant the power to use hermetic magic

Since hermetic magic is hermetic I prefer to keep ordeals out of the equation. The loss of the previous ability is because the pater/mater is not competent enough to keep the ability, not a sacrifice in power.

Keep ordeals and other stuff like that to the mystery cults, thank you.

Xavi

Yes. ArM5, page 36: "The ability to cast Hermetic magic is the single supernatural ability possessed by Hermetic magi in virtue of The Gift". It'd be a bit difficult to be a magus without a supernatural ability, after all. :wink:

The basic assumption is that Gifted characters manage to pick something up along the way. Hermetic magi managed to pick up a whole Hermetic apprenticeship, which is a better deal than most. Gifted characters are not born with any particular supernatural abilities; they are born with the ability to learn any particular supernatural ability.