[Gloom] Question about effects

I've inherited a first printing of the base game and am trying to figure out a few of the modifier cards with an (apparently ongoing) effect:

When a card is played that allows a neighbor to select cards from your hand (was pestered by poltergeists, was distressed by dysentery, was crippled by creditors, grew old without grace), when, and more importantly, for how long, does this effect take place?

Unlike similar cards that force a discard or a draw, these cards do not include the phrase "when this Modifier is played." Are we to assume this phrase is there, and only lose the cards once, or does the player lose cards to his neighbor on each turn? If so, at what point during the turn?

There is a similar problem with the two cards that allow discards (was blessed by the bishop, was cursed by the queen). When does the discard happen, and does this effect happen once or on each turn, and at what point during the turn?

I ask for this clarification since the FAQ implies that the effect of cards that allow you to play an untimely death as a free play (was marooned on the moors, fell down the well) are always active as long as the text is shown, though they are not explicitly labelled as such (as is was put into prison); by extension one may infer the same active-while-visible rule for these cards as well.

Hi - I'm no expert but it seems to me that:

When a card is played that allows a neighbor to select cards from your hand (was pestered by poltergeists, was distressed by dysentery, was crippled by creditors, grew old without grace), when, and more importantly, for how long, does this effect take place?

The card states "immediately when played" which tells you when the cards are selected and discarded and, as the card is only played once, clarifies that the effect only happens once

There is a similar problem with the two cards that allow discards (was blessed by the bishop, was cursed by the queen). When does the discard happen, and does this effect happen once or on each turn, and at what point during the turn?

Again - the card states "when this card is played" - the discards happen at the time the card is played. It's only played once - so the card is only effective once.

Hope that makes sense,

Cheers

Ian

Ah, but that is precisely the problem... my cards don't include the key phrase "when this card is played". I have the first printing, so it is possible that the text on these cards has been corrected for the reprint. I have not been able to find an errata sheet or a list of differences between the two printings.

Ahhh - suddenly all makes sense! My later printing is worded as in my reply so I guess they've updated them to make more sense.

Yes - an errata sheet would be handy for folks with previous printings

Cheers

Ian

I have to say that I am confused, because to my knowledge I have a copy of the first printing (copyright 2004 with the white background on the tuckbox) and on my cards that you can still read, it is very clear. was distressed by dysentary clearly states "The player to your left may randomly select and discard two cards from your hand immediately when played." While the last part "...when played" may require some interpretation, the rules discussing Special Effects list forcing a player to draw or discard cards as an immediate effect and not a continuous effect.

If you do have cards that do not have this text, then I am very interested in where you got them from as this would imply there is a third printing of the cards and I have the second. I have seen a later printing and the cards are definitely nicer than my earlier printing.

The full text on my copy of "distressed by dysentery" is "The player to your left may randomly select and discard two cards from your hand." in white, followed by "That's more information than was really needed." in red.

PM me with your email and I'll send you a scan of the card.

I inherited the game from a friend who had bought the better quality reprint. I believe he picked this set up at a con, so it is possible that it was from a pre-production print run. The packaging and instructions are Copyright 2004, printed in India. ISBN 1-58978-068-X, UPC 9781589780682 51995