Halls Beneath the Earth

ooc Aine is stone mason 7, carpenter 5. Just bring her the wood.

We should make notes of our need and make a list of them. Does anyone have a wax tablet? Perhaps there more needs than we can think of now. There is a town not to far away. We could hire labour to craft some goods for us if we don’t have enough craftsmen or women. Now shall we move on? Acacius is as eager as ever.

Rhodri nods enthusiastically. "We need the supplies, no doubt. We should entreat...Dermot? That's his name right? To send men to town and pick up supplies, as well as perhaps procuring our own. There are some trees nearby no doubt. For immediate carpentry and smithing needs I can easily cast the spells that will give us them. Days of work in a simple spell. But we need the raw materials. How secret are we trying to be? Sending a bunch of Scottsmen into town buying supplies might raise questions." Rhodri leads the group around the landing, stopping at another antechamber with a gaping hole.

"Ah...this is...yes this is the shaft that we need to enchant. In theory we'll use it as a fast means to travel up and down within the covenant. Just hop in and levitate up or down to the floor required. It's either that or the well..." he says as he strokes his chin.

"Well shall we delve deeper?" Rhodri asks as he points to the stairwell. "There should be three shafts on each level, the well, the stairs, and the empty shaft."

Rhodri nods enthusiastically. "We need the supplies, no doubt. We should entreat...Dermot? That's his name right? To send men to town and pick up supplies, as well as perhaps procuring our own. There are some trees nearby no doubt. For immediate carpentry and smithing needs I can easily cast the spells that will give us them. Days of work in a simple spell. But we need the raw materials. How secret are we trying to be? Sending a bunch of Scottsmen into town buying supplies might raise questions." Rhodri leads the group around the landing, stopping at another antechamber with a gaping hole.

"Ah...this is...yes this is the shaft that we need to enchant. In theory we'll use it as a fast means to travel up and down within the covenant. Just hop in and levitate up or down to the floor required. It's either that or the well..." he says as he strokes his chin.

"Well shall we delve deeper?" Rhodri asks as he points to the stairwell. "There should be three shafts on each level, the well, the stairs, and the empty shaft."

Please let me know if this is a double post. I had some issues when I initially posted it. I can see it, but it says that the most recent post here is from Mad Max.

Bjorn nods absently as he looks down the levitation shaft into the darkness below. "How were you envisioning us going up and down the levitation shaft? Personal Rego-Corpus spells, or making a platform? If we put an enchanted platform in the shaft, then you wouldn't have to worry about crashing into someone else, and you could also transport supplies easier. I wouldn't mind having a lab lower down, once we get this shaft working."

He turns around to Rhodri. "Yes, lets go deeper and make sure everything came out as planned."

Rhodri pauses at the methods of levitation. "I hadn't really thought of it. I suppose I pictured simply jumping into the shaft and floating up or down to the floor. But a platform might be more useful, especially with the problems that the Parma could cause..." he taps his chin thoughtfully. "Yes that could be messy...".

Rhodri leads the group to the spiral staircase and begins leading the way down. The script being revealed down every step that is taken. After perhaps twenty feet down it opens onto another landing. This one has stone accoutrements already built in; shelves on the walls, sconces that are likely for braziers and a wide doorway.

"We were a bit ambitious on this level. We presumed it would be the level where we would meet as magi in the landing, plus have an adjoining chamber which would serve as the library. That room will need magical assistance; light, heat, warm breezes." There are three other doorways on this landing as well. Rhodri points to the other rooms. "Two of these would serve well as labs. The remaining chamber could serve well as a barracks or quarters for servants. It's spacious enough for a lab though." Again a bit out of the way are the two shafts as well as the stairway.

"If the shaft is wide enough, we can have half the shaft with a platform that can be raised and lowered. the other hand open for mages to use spells of flight. We probably should find a large rock or two and split off fragments for those that use spells like seven league stride and wizard's leap to move to council chamber or surface quickly. It could be a sign of membership to have the fixed arcane connection to the two stones for transport. " Siobhan is thinking about ease of movement.

Sounds like a good idea. We should remember every idea and discuss our situation and our plans for the future. Should we craft items ourselves or find some magus that will make them as a commission? Light and warmth are concerns that we should try to solve. Acacius scratches his head as he thinks on how to solve the situation.

Rhodri raises an eyebrow and has a slight smug smile. He gestures somewhat grandly between himself and Bjorn. "My Sodales, you have two wizards that are inventors! Bjorn is of House Verditius, and I am trained by the wizard that just created this place, I specialize in such things! We shouldn't trust any such commissions to anyone outside the Covenant, but reward the member wizards creating them to enhance our home!"

He pauses as he sweeps the landing with his gaze and outstretched hand. "So, we have two labs on this level, a possible lab on the level above, and we have two more landings to go. Shall we move on? The next level I believe contains the remaining lab chambers, and the level below would likely be for storage and such, we left it rather unrefined in purpose. Below that would be the underground spring that the well is tapping into." Rhodri points to the stairwell.

Above, Dermot is organizing the covenfolk and luggage and animals now that the big show is over. Aggie and Maxximianus converse in Latin, Maxximianus often making terse replies and then coughing from fatigue. Plans are already being laid down to make homes, shelters, and various other accomodations. Outbuildings Hook

Regarding labs, we definitely have space and material for 5, exactly the number of magi in the Covenant. There will likely be space, but not material for other labs. Creating those would require the higher cost of Upkeep to create, or to get more vis and use the lab text to create the lab. Part of the deal is that you will have enough vis to create the covenant, plus all the labs that the magi will use, but not extra labs. That would have to be made during story events and paid for normally.

Bjorn turns back to the group, and Acacius in particular, at this insinuation that they should commission magi from outside the covenant to create magical devices. But before he can say anything though, Rhodri steps in with a more diplomatic response that what Bjorn might have said, by the look on his face. Bjorn looks like he is about to add something to Rhodri's speech, but then closes his mouth abruptly and turns away, heading for the stairs down. "Yes, lets continue." As he walks down the stairs, he talks over his shoulder to Rhodri. "Did you and Maxximianus have an idea on how we are going to set up the well shaft to get water to all levels?"

Rhodri leads the way down the stairs to the next floor, the landing opens out after more than ten feet, but the staircase still winds down. "Well, we assumed for the water we'd cast spells using Rings and Circles if we wanted to save vis, or we could make simple items. They would draw the water up the shaft as needed, and we could simply fix pipes and channels to the exterior walls of the shaft. When the water reached the level it would flow out. We could possibly even add enchantments to heat or cool and purify the water." Rhodri says as the party walks down the stairs.

Note, the shaft for the well does not actually open up on the lower levels. It looks instead like a pillar or column. On the upper most landing there is an open shaft for the well and the levitation shaft. The levitation shaft is a hole in the floor and ceiling on the lower levels. I should have explained that, so only on the top floor is there really chance of being confused of which is the well and which the elevator.

"As a matter of design, we made sure that the chambers on all levels were at least large enough to serve as a lab if not larger. They conform to the space and ceiling height required." this chamber contains stone sconces and brackets on the walls for lighting and perhaps some heat. There are three door ways on this level.

Make a Perception + Awareness roll, simple, diff 8

I didn’t mean the suggestion to commision items as an insult soldae, Acacius looks at Rhordi then takes a breath. I just don’t feel comfortable with giving orders to my soldaes on what they should be spending their lab time on. There are many project that interest every magus but sure if someone within the covenant walls should decide to produce items for us we must decide wither to give them proper vis compensation or the rest of us must make similar tasks. Just so that all is fair and nobody feel like a servant to the rest.

I'll try to repost what I intended. Mad Max, you may have to do the same. Something's happened to the posts we made.

Rhodri leads the way down the spiral staircase. "Regarding the water, we assumed that we'd use Rego Aquam magic, either spells with Circle as the Duration and Target, or enchanted items, to draw the water up the well. At different landings we'd have pipes or channels to collect it. We even thought we might add effects to heat or cool it and purify it."

Just to clarify, the well is actually more like a column on the additional landings. Only on the upper most landing is there an actual opening for the well. The elevator shaft however opens up on each level with a hole in the ceiling and the floor, and a shaft between the landings.

On the next landing you see stone sconces and braziers set up on the floor and three doorways spread out around you, with the shaft and column in their same places. "This should contain the remaining three labs." Rhodri continues. "We designed all chambers with the idea that they could become a laboratory if needed, so they all conform to the size and ceiling heights needed."

Make a Simple Perception + Awareness roll, dif 8

"If we get it to the upper levels. WE can rig troughs to lower the water along the stairs. " SIobhan remembers water runs down hill.

Bjorn follows Siobhan down, and pokes his head into each room, just to check. "Constructing something for water shouldn't be a big problem. With a bit of planning, we might even be able to send pipes to each of the labs, so each lab can get fresh water." He looks up and around the rooms and landings, as if looking for something. "What about ventillation? We will need to get smoke and fumes out of here somehow."

Per 1 + Aware 1 + Roll 2 = 4 Oblivious!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2312036/

Acacius looks at Rhordi. I am sorry I did not intend do insult any one. It was just a suggetstion that we commission the crafting. After all every magus here have their own plans for laboratory work and I would not dream of telling my soldaes what to do with their lab time. But sure we can decide that we all should do some service to the covenant or that we shall give those that provide the items proper compensation.

Acacius awareness roll: 1 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2312778/ + 0 awareness + 1 per = 2 Acacius won’t notice a thing…

Rhodri chuckles at Acacius's response. "I know you meant no offense Sodales, but you're in the presence of craftsmen and you speak of going elsewhere. I feel that once we have established our Charter, we'll likely arrange for service to the Covenant, as well as payment for service. We should..." he pauses as he looks at one of the doorways.

"What is this? Bjorn? Siobhan could you bring your light down that way?" he points to the doorway that has caught his eye. "Something seems wrong."

Upon light being brought closer to the doorway you can see that there is a short corridor, perhaps only five feet past the opening, that suddenly ends in solid chunks of stone. There is writing on some of it, but otherwise it looks like the chamber beyond has basically collapsed.

"Oh my..." Rhodri says. "This...could be bad..."

He begins to chant loudly in Latin and make grand hand signs for Intelligo and Terram.

Spontaneous Intelligo Terram, with Fatigue: Casting Total 13 (In 0, Te 5, Sta +1, Aura 5, Voice +1, Gestures +1) +8 roll [I mistook Creo for Intelligo, but corrected for it in this post]

Final Spell level 10

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2312907/

Base 2
R: Per D: Con T: Structure

Determine if a given structure is treacherous or in danger.

There is a smell of sawdust as he removes his hands from his temples and completes a slow circle. He sighs, then takes a breath or two. "Perhaps I should have cast that before we came down here. We should be safe, I believe something went wrong with the casting of the spell, but it was not a total failure."

You don't need to make a roll to figure this out. If Maxximianus had failed to cast the spell, the structure simply wouldn't have been made, whereas if he botched there could be all kinds of disasters. Since this is a spell that creates something through Creo and Rego, there needs to be a Finnesse roll, and considering the scope and detail plus amount of mundane work this replaced in such a short time, this was quite a high roll. Maxximianus may have fell short of that roll to some degree, it looks like this chamber for example simply collapsed.

"We should check the chambers above and below as well to see if they are in a similar state. If it's just this chamber we should still be fine." Fortunately this chamber is not near the stairway, the well shaft, or the elevator shaft.

Bjorn moves closer to examine the collapsed room. "Hmmm... Anyone good with Perdo or Muto Terram? We could carve the room out ourselves and still get a lab in here. Otherwise there will be no guest lab, or someone will be living in the basement. But that might not be all bad..." He turns back to Rhodri after his spell is finished. "I can use my ese to check the rooms, but I don't think I can cast that spell you just did to check for hazards. I'm not too keen on exploring too much more without knowing if these walls are going to hold."

"Muto is not permanent. I am not good with perdo but I have some skill with Rego that I might be able to move the dirt. We can always just mark off the area to become guest rooms if we still have room for our labs and other needs. This will not be a priority though. We need to get a palisade and walled compound to provide security for the mage fair as well as housing for the fair goers. The eldest mages can have housing perhaps by dividing up this room with panels. By the way, I can manage the spell to test for soundness of the room as well." Siobhan is a quaesitor and so is naturally good at Intelligo.

Rhodri fans himself and wipes his brow on his sleeve. "The spell I cast encompassed the whole of the structure. It is in no danger of collapsing, but I couldn't tell if other areas were damaged. I would prefer to use Rego Terram to move the earth out perhaps. The chamber might not be lost, we won't know until we do some work, or if we wish to use more magic to determine its condition. My concern is that the stone that was created obviously collapsed. Removing the stone might not leave a workable chamber.

"Perhaps inventing a spell to create just a room beyond would be worth the time? So we have two labs on this floor, and should have two labs above us, a possible lab on the first landing. We will likely need to use the landing below, but as I said the rooms should serve adequately for space and dimensions." taking a cursory glance the other labs show no signs that they are damaged or in danger.