Hedge Magic Saga

Anyone with a Magic Lore ability can Enrich items.

Thank you for your opinions. I appreciate the insights.

I'm not up to date on all the supplements... could someone briefly explain this concept of "minor magic items"? It might encourage me to pick up City & Gild.

Similarly, what is "Enriching items" and in which book can it be found.

People who have the virtue touched by (Realm) (presented in City and Guild) can create items with magical abilities due to their extraordinary craftsmanship.

Magical creatures of virtue and things of virtue (presented in Realms of Power: Magic) all have portion of their body that can be treated in a certain way in order to bring out it's magical properties. Typically this magical property gives a minor virtue to the holder of the item (this virtue giving ability has no penetration so it is difficult for magi to take advantage of it). Here's an example: if one takes the whole corpse of a Raven of Virtue and turns it inside out,wrapping the body in the leaves of a plant called eyebright and then suspends the corpse in the top branches of an ash tree for a season the detached claws grant the bearer the keen vision virtue. If instead the the leaf wrapped body is buried under the roots of a willow, the raven's skull grants the intuition virtue when crafted into a ring.

Thanks

Ah, sounds basically like the items of virtue from the old Hedge Magic supplement.

Yes. The difference is that these grant minor virtues, or major virtues if they also grant a minor flaw (usually a personality flaw). The old 4th edition effects were more along minor level 10 spells. Slightly different here, but yes, the idea is to have the enchanted rubi granting the wielder the inspirational virtue et al. Sounds like minor useful magic to me, and extremely hedge-ish :slight_smile: It is one of those things that make Mythic Europe Mythic, and not wannabe DnD or Medieval Europe :smiley:

CHeers,
Xavi

Probably the thing that I like best about them is that anyone who has a sufficient Magic lore score can use them (like the Pholosophae, Artes Liberales and Medicine tricks in Art and Academe).

Re-reading the Enriching entry in the Magic Realm book, this is true. However, it is weird how Hedge Witches and Gruagach are specifically said to be able to Enrich in their lab activities options, while the other traditions (elementalists, natural magicians & vitki) in the Hedge Magic book are not said to be able to do so. Seems like an oversight to me and led me to this confusion of thinking that the former could Enrich and the later couldn't :slight_smile: Thx for pointing this out. Rises the value of the (IMO already weak) natural magicians.

Cheers,
Xavi

The superpowers thread made me think of this: They can easily bypass this by granting themselves the appropriate spellpower virtue from RoP: Magic :wink:

Yeah, but then they are no longer gruagachan, but become Magneto and Wolverine.

Cheers,
Xavi

It's my recollection that RoP: Magic and Hedge Magic, RE, were being written at more or less the same time. So unless the authors were paying close attention to the RoP: Magic drafts, that might slip through the cracks. I had actually intended to include a section on additional examples of Enriched Items in the Learned Magicians chapter, if it was short, but it was long and there was no room. Maybe the Gruagachan author was paying closer attention than the Learned Magician author was?

By the way, are Learned Magicians weak or X-Men? Make up your mind. :wink:

As written, X-men. I hadn't seen that twist when I wrote the previous statement. Thwe whole "Berzerklist tribute" development has happened in the last few days :wink:

I prefer them to be weak. After all they are HEDGE magicians. I love the flavor of the dudes, but the effects of the "virtues for everything" combos are not to my taste, as you already know :stuck_out_tongue: I find that the job of paying attention to the synergies of the books is a job of the line editor, not the authors.

I would have loved additional enriched items. I have a fairly good idea how to make them already, but they are inspirational and one of those things that make me love Ars Magica. Minor virtues or equivalents, but power has a heavy (warping) price. Did you forgot to tell that noble about this effect of the enchanted sapphyre? Oh dear :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Xavi

People who have the virtue touched by (Realm) (presented in City and Guild) can create items with magical abilities due to their extraordinary craftsmanship.
quote]

I am so fascinated with Touched by Realm, that type of craft magic is one of my favorites for minor things. Especially coupled with the fact, that a craftsman good enough to pull this magic off, can propably also make some Excellent or Superior (but mundame) items. My only gripe is that you choose the equivalent of 2 hermetic Forms, which you use the guidelines for enchaniting. Not that this isn't fair and balanced, I just have a hard time deciding! :slight_smile:
Anyone remember the specifics of the mechanics for this sort of craft magic? It has a difficulty of x+magnitude, but this magnitude includes the usual modifiers for uses/day, trigger, penetration etc. right? I assume these items need to penetrate, if the target has any MR.

I think I'll be needing to read up on 'Enriching items' as well. In an ongoing saga I'm about to introduce a companion with minor hedge abilities. I've given him Touched by Realm and bought the 'Items of Quality' skills from Verditius as a minor virtue. Seemed like a good idea for a faerie smith to be able to do.

I am so fascinated with Touched by Realm, that type of craft magic is one of my favorites for minor things. Especially coupled with the fact, that a craftsman good enough to pull this magic off, can propably also make some Excellent or Superior (but mundame) items. My only gripe is that you choose the equivalent of 2 hermetic Forms, which you use the guidelines for enchaniting. Not that this isn't fair and balanced, I just have a hard time deciding! :slight_smile:
Anyone remember the specifics of the mechanics for this sort of craft magic? It has a difficulty of x+magnitude, but this magnitude includes the usual modifiers for uses/day, trigger, penetration etc. right? I assume these items need to penetrate, if the target has any MR.

I think I'll be needing to read up on 'Enriching items' as well. In an ongoing saga I'm about to introduce a companion with minor hedge abilities. I've given him Touched by Realm and bought the 'Items of Quality' skills from Verditius as a minor virtue. Seemed like a good idea for a faerie smith to be able to do.

Yes, the effect has the usual parameters of uses per day, range of the effect et al. You need to pay for them in magnitudes. Like a regular minir item, in fact.

The difficulty of creating the effect is the same of creating s superior item + magnitude of the effect being enchanted.

Enriching items is using your Magic Lore skill plus intelligence to transform a plant or stone of virtue (stones and plants containing vis) to provide a minor virtue. Or a major virtue plus a minor flaw. This takes a season to do, and requires you to pèrform certain rituals to achieve the desired result (like a lab activity). The item causes warping though, so there is a tradeoff here :wink: It works like the abilities in Art & Acadme: as long as you have Magic Lore you can do it; you do not need the Gift to perform such transformations.

Cheers,
Xavi