Help me stress test a mystery plot!

Hmmm...
It seems that I am the conservative one for a change.
The way I interpret things, in order to "participae" in the Aegis, you have to be able to actually cast the spell. Meaning for most casting "Wizard's Communion" and reading from a tablet. Familiars, Hedgies, and those with a Supernatural abillity cannot "participate" in this sense", nor can a magus with incompatibe Arts in MuVi and ReVi. They rely solely on being granted a token.

Couple passages that support the "anyone" interpretation:

"The entire covenant usually participates in the Aegis ritual..." (AotH, AM5 p 161 col iii)

"Magi do not need to be able to cast the spell to participate, and, indeed, non-Hermetic wizards can participate as well." (AotH, AM5 p 161 col iii)

Note that the second does not say "need to know", but "need to be able to cast" - I'd say that's no demonstration or exercise of any magical power necessary. And clearly, certainly none that need be Hermetic.

And if anyone quibbles that "magi and wizards" are the only ones mentioned, I'll direct them to the first quote (which is fairly unambiguous), and the fact that non-magical characters gain no concrete magical benefit from "participating", so it's understandable that they are not given any more mention than the first all-encompassing reference.

(spoiler)Aren't you talking about the french comic book: "la quête de l'oiseau du temps"?

After google-ing it, yes, I do :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Xavi

The first quote is ambiguous. The word "covenant" could refer to all the magi of the covenant, as a covenant is, hermetically, an agreement among magi. Without the magi there is no covenant. It's also collectively all of the people that live at the place the magi of the covenant live (the "covenant") and do the things that need to be done there, cooking, grogging, etc. I suppose one could also say the "covenant" is the place itself but I don't think anyone is trying to say the location participates in the Aegis.

Not "pedantry" as much as "deconstruction", if at least with that last. :wink:

Anyone can make their own ruling - but if we're going to look at the rules, then "words" are all we have, so let's get the most out of them. And your point has some merit.

In context, "covenant" is used both ways in that spell description - as the area, and as the population. We can assume the "physical" covenant is not participating, so that leaves only "the population".

After that phrase the passage goes on to say "... Quite often, the covenant then holds a major council meeting, or perhaps a large feast..." This, too, is ambiguous - who is in the Council and who enjoys the feast may or may not be limited to magi-only.

The only distinction is that in some places the text specifically mentions "magi" and in others it uses "the covenant" - unless that was accidental*, the two have different meanings, and "covenant" must be something broader than "magi who are members of the covenant".

(* if accidental, then all "words" become much less meaningful than otherwise, so I'm not willing to operate on that assumption.)

I could see it going either way - it's hardly a lock for either interpretation. But I'm comfortable atm with mine. 8)

It appears CH has a point, and the wording allows some leeway in interpretation. I am incined to recant my earlier statement of restriction. But we are now deviating off topic, and perhaps this individual issue deserves a separate thread.

(That's why my mom always makes me wear a hat.) :mrgreen: