Hermetic Demographics: Where are all the Quaesitores?

To my recollection it hasn't been mentioned since Houses of Hermes in 1994. It's not just absent in fifth edition, it was absent in fourth as well.

Tsk. I don't see why WW should get to claim Order of Hermes, Tremere and Doissetep as their trademarks. They were integral to the Ars Magica background long, long before any of that crappy Mage stuff appeared (the 1st edition, anyway - I liked 2nd), and I gather that apart from some vague reference to the Tremere there's no shared background in the "new" WoD (is any of that stuff any good?). But there's some tedious legal reason for it, I suppose.

Reference was made in certain supplaments. The anniversary edition of Festical of the Damned mentions Doissetep.

[quote="Aurelius

Tsk. I don't see why WW should get to claim
Order of Hermes
, Tremere and Doissetep as their trademarks. They were integral to the Ars Magica background long, long before any of that crappy Mage stuff appeared (the 1st edition, anyway - I liked 2nd), and I gather that apart from some vague reference to the Tremere there's no shared background in the "new" WoD (is any of that stuff any good?). But there's some tedious legal reason for it, I suppose.
[/quote]

Yes: they owned Ars Magica before they sold it to Atlas Games, and they wanted to use their trademarks for Vampire, Mage and so on. Tremere was Mark Hagen's personal PC, wasn't he?

I got the idea that was Grimgroth (who mysteriously changed from House Jerbiton in ArM 2nd edition to Tremere in 3rd). Oddly enough, I've got my old copy of WotC Houses of Hermes, which has no such disclaimers about WW trademarks. Still, it is true they used all that stuff before Atlas, even if Atlas has done much better things with them.