Hermetic Generations

Pretty much the list I thought about, except for the whole send the apprentice into the field without his master. I'd only do that if someone is playing the apprentice.

Sure, if I'm putting a character into a story I'd definitely want someone playing him or her.

I have my apprentice do Original Research. She gets the Warping, and I get the House Acclaim :slight_smile:

Not so much. The Rhine is exceptionally rigid, hierarchical and traditionalist. Somewhere more freewheeling, like the Provencal Tribunal (which, Merchant's Parma because I don't have the book, levies very few obligations on the Tribunal's magi), is not going to refuse a magus' right to train his apprentice.

The stigma is in taking an apprentice when you can't teach them. Opening the Arts without all 5s is a crime, and producing a half-baked apprentice who cannot function as a magus is simply bad manners. I don't think that there's going to be a firm rule saying that a Bonisagus five years out of Gauntlet can't steal an apprentice, particularly if the Bonisagus in question is good at Teaching and Magic Theory and doesn't apologize for not spending time on Arts not related to their specialty. (After all, casting spells is not a Bonisagus' job, and the apprentice can always study at Durenmar or study from vis if he wants more knowledge.)