Hermetic Geometry: Ideas on what to DO with it...

Salve, Sodales!

Well, Helios Excelcis, Quaesitor PC in my saga, is soon to start the trials and tribulations that are required to become a Mathmaticus of the Mystical Fraternity of Samos, and learn the Mystery of Hermetic Geometry.

My only issue is... I'm not sure exactly what one DOES with such secrets. Thus far, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the utility of the new parameters that Hermetic Geometry introduces. What are some uses folks might have tossed around in their sagas or skulls?

I note Petalichus in Magi of Hermes has a spell that causes discord in a room at Line range, but I'm wondering how you sense a room without seeing it. I'm probably just being dense.

Regardless, any ideas to show the utility of these spells would be fantastic. Thanks!

Vrylakos

I would invoke the provision that while Hermetic spells cannot generally affect an unseen target, this does not apply to Intellego spells that are designed to detect targets. Thus, simply casting an appropriate Intellego spell using the Line range (or some other Geometric parameter) would allow the wizard to sense the area or targets in the area, and subsequently cast any spell he wishes on them.

The only real use I can see to Geometry, given the Distance Ease Factors, is the example one - it allows you to function across barriers and obstacles, but is rather slow and cumbersome. For most applications, however, it is simply a nice way to gain bonuses for casting Circle targets or ritual spells.

I would also make Hermetic Geometry a prerequisite to Ptolemaic Coordinates, which the cult either has or has clues about that will lead the players to the mystery (depending on whether I want to play the story in Ancient Magic out).

To be pedantic: I would say Hermetic spells cannot generally affect unsensed targets. A Voice Range spell can affect a target (within the range of the caster's voice) that the caster simply knows is there, without being able to currently see or hear it, e.g., a hiding person that the caster followed into a room. Of course a Touch (or Personal) Range spell doesn't require the caster to see the target either....

Hm, I'm not sure I get the voice range/person hiding in a room. Would this not make invisibility effectively useless if you had a voice ranged spell and knew an invisible person was somewhere in a small building?

Anyhow, the broader issues puzzles me.

So narrow it down to ''and know the approximate location''.

Thus, if you know roughly where an invisible person is, you can affect them, same as you could poke at them with a sword. If someone is hiding, you can guess as to where and see if the spell affects them, same as you could try and hit them by mundane means.

But what you're describing is based on the magus' knowledge, not his senses. It still isn't "sensed" until one of his senses has a clear connection to it... That he can see, hear, smell, feel or taste his target. What you're describing needs the expanded voice range available to certain hedge mages, where sensing the target isn't strictly necessary.

You don't necessarily need to see it... You need to sense it, and there are four more senses to help you out. You could for example hear music or conversation coming from inside it, or if it was a barn, smell the stink of the manure.

I suspect these mages never stopped doodling cubes & triangles. Combine with triskidecaphobia for an astoundingly unlikely, but related flaw, and have nice big words on your character sheet.

Perhaps with this virtue you could invent the Spiragraph 750 years early and become legendary household name and idol of children throughout the known world. With this status you could initate yourself into a form of immortality. Then... then... you could spend eternity working on useful applications of this magical technique and come up with better ideas than mine!

Hi,

I can hide in the kitchen and cause discord at a party in the great hall, by virtue of being able to hear snatches of music and conversation.

Anyway,

Ken