Hermetic Timeline

While I think that setting it up would be great, I'm not as happy with populating it with information from the existing sheet of pre-fifth edition sources. If we have a field, like you suggested, for [fifth edition/ pre-fifth edition/ real history] so once we've collected all of the information we'll be able to use that field to sort it in whatever application we move the data to, it would be great. I'd like the option of filtering out the old stuff.

Project Redcap should be able to help with this somehow, I'd think?

PM me with an email address and I will send the original in RTF.

My idea would be to populate it with the pre-5th material already flagged as old, so that people can make it disappear if they don't want to see it. That way, we keep all the info from the older canon, and your work does not go to waste, but at the same time we also start with a clean slate.

Probably, though I rather think that this could help Project Redcap, rather than the other way around. Meaning that the information could be exported into Project Redcap as it's being filled up. That way, the work we put into it will not go to waste when/if we stop using it. It would still be available over at Project Redcap.

Even better. Let's make it happen then :slight_smile:

Item: The most current version of the Hermetic Timeline (that I have, anyway) was partly updated with 5th Edition material by Angus MacDonald.

I happened to need the timeline for plotting, and notice that some updating of names will be required; there's no Doissitep in 5th Edition, for example.

I'll try to have a mockup webapp ready this weekend. I'll keep you up to date as soon as it's at least partially usable.

Could it be transcribed using a shared Google spreadsheet? Saves building an app and is readily reusable

Then we might as well just use a wiki-page on Redcap, right?
If we want to turn 'old edition stuff' on af off, that can be done too, but then I'd probably need direct access to the HTML, so not as easy.

EDIT: OK, I know how I'd do it in pure HTML/Javascript/css. But it would need hosting, and I'd need the original full document. :-/

hi,
I made a webapp to manage an arsmagica timeline a few months ago. It is an early build, as I worked on other things, but it can be improved easily. Let me know if you want to try, but I have a few things to change to make it ready to use.

Currently an event on the timeline has the following attributes :

Name
Description
Historical date (ex 01/01/1220)
Book reference (ex House of hermes true lineage)
Book page
Other reference (could be an url)
Organization (ex Order of Hermes)
Weight (1-10, 1 being the most important, 10 a very minor one)

Let me know if you see anything else

As the 5th edition timeline doesn't necessarily agree with earlier versions of the canon, you might want a flag for each entry noting whether they are real world historical, 5e canon, or deprecated pre-5e events. That would allow for future filtering of the view, hiding the non-canon entries or historical events as the user desired.

Also, the 10 point scale for weight seems too much. Users would never agree on whether a given entry should be a 3 or a 4, maybe a 5. A four or five point weighting system would serve better, you don't want more choices than a user would want to see (or bother to remember) as color codes.

To the kind author of the original timeline, would it be possible to simply post the file somewhere freely accessible? There's clearly enough interest that sending individual copies in response to private messages will cease being fun.

I'd prefer not to have to enter a weight value.

1 Like

Happy to. Someone please nominate such.

I have noticed that True lineages puts the establishment of the tribunals at 773, but both Lion and the Lily put the date at 865.
That seems a significant discrepancy.

The difference is between defining the rules to run Regional tribunals (773) and the establishment of the known Tribunals as areas of jurisdiction (865).

The regional tribunals already existed in 865. What was decided in 865 was a formal establishment of their boundaries and names.

Looking at the timeline in Lion and the Lily, it was decided at the Grand Tribunal in 832 that the Grand Tribunal would meet every 33 years, and the regional tribunals every 7 years - strongly suggesting that there existed regional tribunals at that point in time.

According to HoH:TL, Bonisagus "was last seen at the regular Thebes Tribunal meeting of 836" - which means that the Thebes tribunal must have existed as a regional tribunal at that point in time.

According to GotF p15-16, the regional tribunals were established in 773, and in 865 they became more formally defined with boundaries.

Tmk there were several Tribunals that were defined - with their boundaries - only in 865: the Theban Tribunal (including Coeris 848 subdued in the Sundering - see e.g. HoH:TL p.144), the Britannian Tribunal (including the later Hibernian Tribunal and the Bretagne, fully independent from the Franks since about 851), and the Lotharingian Tribunal (following the treaty of Prüm 855).

This does not imply, that between 773 and 865 there were no regional Tribunals in charge in these areas, with less defined and typically changing boundaries of jurisdiction.

There were soon after 773 early smaller regional Tribunals. E. g. Val Negra with 3 other covenants already founded the Val Negra Tribunal (F&F p.39, 135) in 774.

I thought we had established somewhere that by 773 there were four regional Tribunals that the redcaps served, which roughly corresponded to the four regions that the Tenentes Occultorum line of Bonisagus magi serve, and which were associated with the greatest covenants in the area: Branugurix (spring), Val-Negra (summer), Durenmar (autumn), and Coeris (winter). Also, I thought we had also established that initially Verdi was part of the Val-Negra tribunal. However, I don’t see any explicit references to that information now that I look for it.

2 Likes

@Erik_Tyrrell and anyone else reading this thread (thank you all):

I took it upon myself to make a big update to the Timeline, you can find it here:

7 Likes